BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Lessons learned, strategies

03-20-2016, 06:33 PM   #1
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

Lessons learned, strategies

This is my first time scrambling for a new production vehicle that has significant demand. I thought I would start a thread where we could share our lessons learned on how to get positioned for a early slot and what not to do.

Back on October the day the M2 was announced I called the 4 dealers in AZ to get on a list. I was assured I was at the top of the list with the Tucson BMW dealer so I ended up not placing deposits and taking spots on the lists with the other dealers in the state. BIG Mistake. If I had to do it all over again I would have simply put deposits down with all of those dealers and would not have trusted the only dealer who didn't want a deposit. It turned out Tucson didn't really have a list and the guy i spoke to left and I was SOL.

So my lesson learned is never assume that when someone says that they have you covered you are actually covered, get on as many lists as you can and see what comes. I suspect the other key is to build a solid relationship with one dealer and then leverage that relationship to get your spot on the list as soon as rumors of the model come up.

Any other thoughts on strategy or what not to do??
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
clubsport
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB

My local dealers would not accept deposits until they could order a car. I started their list nearly 2 years ago but wound up 2nd. I still have that spot but have a deposit on an HEA car in the east, as well. Since my local store is a "Market adjust" group, I have almost given up getting one there.
I have copies of at least 7 emails between me and David Aviles. Each time I ask if there is a list. Each time he tells me about a future meeting with M group guys or something BUT NEVER ADDED ME TO A LIST. I contacted him again in Dec. and he asked if I would like to get on a list. He mentioned there were 25 on it already. WTF. I think he caters to big shops who give him free stuff in return. Who knows. Like you, I thought I had bases covered only to find out the opposite.
Happy with getting an HEA car even if it's gonna cost $1500 in shipping. And is a DCT.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 06:49 PM   #3
JSM2
Rep
Drives: MG F80 ZCP

Sorry.

Almost this exact same thing happened to me. I was assured I was #3 at my local dealer when I asked to be put on the list back in October, so I didn't bother placing any other deposits. Later I come to find out that apparently some favoritism had caused me to slide from #3 to #5, and to add insult to injury they had sold an HEA car in the exact specification I had wanted apparently without addressing the list at all....

By the time I found all this out last month it was too late to get decent placement at any of the other dealers. Needless to say I'm pretty frustrated.

After they slipped me, I made damn sure to get my current placement in writing as an addendum to the sales agreement. (That's the only advice I can give you.)
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 06:52 PM   #4
PackPride85
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Never trust a big butt and a smile.

or any car salesman.
Appreciate 2
      03-20-2016, 07:02 PM   #5
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

My strategy was pretty simple: talk to the GM and make sure he knows you really want the car. Regularly contact him to confirm you are still on the list and insist to put a deposit in order to confirm your sport. Also, make sure to regularly speak to him and look for new updates on the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Bluenose-2er
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB 6MT M2

I had similar bad luck. Went to my dealer last year and spoke to a salesman who said they were not taking any orders yet. Left my business card and said I would be interested in ordering when they were. Waited several months, called back when I heard others were taking orders - my salesman had left, hadn't passed on my info to anyone and I could have placed my deposit months ago! All three allocations they had were taken by the time I found this out.

Fortunately, someone dropped out and I grabbed the third allocation spot. Now I have a quote signed by the Sales Manager and a receipt for my deposit.

My advice is get something in writing that shows you have an order, even if they can't give you a date. It's perhaps not iron clad, but something written is always more valuable than someone's promise they will look out for your interests.

Also, be persistent. I didn't give up when their allocation list was full - hoping someone would drop out, and they did.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 08:33 PM   #7
mmmmmazing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: In my hands!

#1 - Look outside your metropolitan area!

I went north to a small BMW dealer who is only receiving 2 cars and I ended up #1 for what was a car sold out everywhere in the city.

#2 - Call almost every single dealer in your state/province. Tell them you are super serious and willing to drop a deposit immediately for a spot. I did this with a bunch of dealers and by fluke ended up with my BSM.

Persistence pays.
Appreciate 1
      03-20-2016, 10:01 PM   #8
Kantalias
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

I agree with all of the above. I just want to add:

1) I think my initial attempt to do ED hurt my chances. Mysteriously I kept ending up one spot below what dealers thought their 2016 allocation would be. I think they didn't want to deal with ED. And I think I would have kept slipping even if they got more allocations.

2) Shop, shop, shop. I called 8 dealers in 5 states and had an HEA car in the exact configuration I wanted in under four hours on January 29, 2016. That was impeccable timing because HEAs were showing up in dealer computers (dumb luck) but I can't begin to convey how much I learned from each conversation. Car sales people have diarrhea-of-the-mouth; stay on the line for 10 minutes and next thing you know you've got some useful insight.

3) My local dealer totally botched their interaction with me (second time in three years) and I will simply always buy any luxury car out of state because my state has monopolies on every luxury brand (even the appearance of variety is fake because an auto group has all the dealerships). I ran my complaint up to the director of the Sandia auto group and he was totally content for me (and all my friends past, present and future) to walk -- they get all the business they want.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 12:27 AM   #9
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Read my post about complaining about this in another thread about this stupid dealer in Midland TX.

Lesson - PAY THE DEPOSIT

Lesson #2, If you hear a French accent in Texas....be weary! =P
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 03:49 AM   #10
ConR
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi S3

Get it in writing. That would be my lesson to you.

Get something signed by the dealer, add in any special conditions you need to cover yourself, etc.

And get the Dealer Principal to sign it too.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2016, 08:13 AM   #11
jcocke
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Future M2

My Experience:

1) Contact MANY dealers, as far as you are willing to travel. I think it helps when you have a metropolitan area with lots of dealers in the area. I targeted DC/Baltimore area, North Carolina, and Atlanta. My local, small town dealer most likely wouldn't get allocated one, and if they did, they already told me they couldn't miss the opportunity to make $5k extra on the car.

2) Work directly with the Sales Manager if possible.

3) Money talks, so be willing to drop the deposit.

4) If possible, meet with them in person. My dealer is 4 hrs away, and I still went up there.

5) Doing ED is going to severely limit you on the number of dealers willing to work with you. Know this going in, and don't expect the same level of service compared to a conventional purchase or order.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 10:17 AM   #12
azfootdoc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 HEA

My Experience

So I would agree with the previous post. I think that thinking outside the box helped me a lot. I had a similar experience in Jan/Feb where I called out of state and had lined up 2 HEA cars after 2 hours of calling. I didn't jump on these because I was holding out for ED. After thinking it over I figured between the change to the BMW Maintenance program (after 2016 model) and likely 2017 model year adjustment I would be better off in a HEA and take my European trip latter. Fortunately even though I was late to the game I lined up a HEA car only 500 miles away. I'll save the ED program for my wife's next car.
Appreciate 1
      03-21-2016, 10:57 PM   #13
AlexCirci
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
Read my post about complaining about this in another thread about this stupid dealer in Midland TX.

Lesson - PAY THE DEPOSIT

Lesson #2, If you hear a French accent in Texas....be weary! =P
Wait, Permian Basin BMW? LOL don't hate me.. but I got that car. As people stated earlier in this post, I called around to small dealers out of state and found that one in Midland (after my local dealer screwed me on my #3 spot). I honestly didn't let him off the phone until he emailed me the bank wire instructions and I immediately went and made my deposit. Even on the phone he said he had gotten multiple calls about the car and it would most likely be sold by end of the day. I acted fast. Persistence is key.

But it seems like you got one so we're all happy now!
      03-21-2016, 11:01 PM   #14
dammitcubs
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexCirc View Post
Wait, Permian Basin BMW? LOL don't hate me.. but I got that car. As people stated earlier in this post, I called around to small dealers out of state and found that one in Midland (after my local dealer screwed me on my #3 spot). I honestly didn't let him off the phone until he emailed me the bank wire instructions and I immediately went and made my deposit. Even on the phone he said he had gotten multiple calls about the car and it would most likely be sold by end of the day. I acted fast. Persistence is key.

But it seems like you got one so we're all happy now!
That Son of B dealer, i had the car on lock. Worked with him all weekend starting on friday to monday. I told him I just needed to see the quote to confirm MSRP and shipping instructions. I like replied back in like minutes and didn't hear back from him. I ended up calling him the next day and he said he sold it.

That's when i started contacting immigration.

I got mine from another dealer. I'm still trying to deport his ass.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 02:24 AM   #15
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammitcubs View Post
That Son of B dealer, i had the car on lock. Worked with him all weekend starting on friday to monday. I told him I just needed to see the quote to confirm MSRP and shipping instructions. I like replied back in like minutes and didn't hear back from him. I ended up calling him the next day and he said he sold it.

That's when i started contacting immigration.

I got mine from another dealer. I'm still trying to deport his ass.
No offense, but because no money exchanged hands you cannot blame the dealership for selling the car to someone else.

Back on topic, I placed a deposit for the car in May of 2014. At that point there were only whisperings that there may be a M2, but I didn't want to miss the boat this time around like I did with the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 08:46 AM   #16
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

The lesson I learned is not to get too attached to the idea of getting a new production vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2016, 09:05 AM   #17
F87LUV
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2, '23 GT4

Garage List
2023 Porsche GT4  [5.00]
2016 BMW M2  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl
The lesson I learned is not to get too attached to the idea of getting a new production vehicle.
What happened?
      03-22-2016, 09:29 AM   #18
Ian ///M
Captain
Rep
Drives: '17 AW M2 (DCT)

It's what hasn't happened yet. (An order) haha
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #19
Powaup
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 Supra 3.0 (Past: 2015 M23

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
trying to order a brand new car with lots of hype is a real pain in the *** (specially if you live in the SF bay area) I remember ordering my M4 I went through so many dealerships and headaches, my advice would be to contact dealers in Jersey and ask for PCD delivery or make a long delivery drive back to wherever you live.

Reading all these posts of everyone looking to get an early production M2 I am really really happy I have some time to go before I get a new car, glad I did not skip on the M4 in anticipation of the M2.
      03-22-2016, 01:00 PM   #20
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

In this case if you're still looking for an allocation you have an excellent resource in the 2-series owners map. Mentioned this elsewhere but pop it open and call dealers in areas without large concentrations of M235s. Should be time we'll spent.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #21
G8rGrl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZGirl07
Quote:
Originally Posted by G8rGrl
What happened?
I'm still on a list. At this point I don't think that means a whole lot...because a whole lot of "nothing" is happening with the production of these cars. Also paying MSRP for *anything* doesn't sit well with me. There are other cars to be bought at less than MSRP that I will be happy with. So if we don't get too attached, there is less disappointment and it is easier to shift gears and get a different car.
Appreciate 1
      03-22-2016, 07:46 PM   #22
Rock Sweden
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Here's my story. I live in a small town with barely a market for M cars. I called my local dealer after the Detroit unveiling and there wasn't a list nor had anyone even inquired about the M2. They told me they were getting an AW, exec pkg, 6 speed and a $1k deposit would make it mine. Well I hem hawed around (aka hesitated) for 5 days, decided to pay the deposit but someone beat me to it. I immediately called four dealers within 2 hours of me and found the exact same car in Tallahassee, Fl. paid the deposit and now I'm tortured by time. I totally lucked out. Apparently, there are advantages to living adjacent to the world's anus.
Appreciate 0