E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein Install Question

03-12-2016, 09:53 AM   #1
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Bilstein Install Question

Hey guys,

Silly question here, but I want to make sure I have this right. I'm installing Bilstein HDs into the rear of my 335 xi this morning. (yes I have the fronts also, but will install those separately over the next day or two and then will have the alignment done).

In any event, regarding the rear install, the Bilstein package includes (1) shock, (2) dust boot and (3) concave washer. My thought is that the washer goes between the integrated bump-stop and the dust boot as pictured below. Can anyone confirm for me?

PS - smaller picture sized added (hopefully you'll be able to see it now). I plan to show a bit of an install write-up and, separately, a review of my thoughts after hitting a few Rail Road tracks, corners and bumps.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Bilstein Rear 335xi.pdf (1.76 MB, 140 views)

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs

Last edited by jwebb335xi; 03-12-2016 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: trying to add picture
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 11:03 AM   #2
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Yup, I believe the washer is used to support the dust boot. You're all good.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #3
martinblair
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i Touring

Garage List
That's correct. I just installed my Bilsteins 3 weeks ago, and that's exactly right.
Appreciate 1
      03-12-2016, 03:25 PM   #4
jwebb335xi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrematureApex View Post
Yup, I believe the washer is used to support the dust boot. You're all good.
Thanks for the comments/help guys!

I'm embarrased to admit this, but it took me about 3 hours in total to do the rear. This was my first time doing shocks, and I had to learn a bit along the way. That said, I took a lot of pictures and will probably post some more details on the particular set-up in case anyone else may learn from my experience.

After a very short test ride over some crappy road with rail road tracks, I have a couple quick observations:

(1) the rear does not squat as much when I first hit the gas from a stop;
(2) when turning and accelerating, I feel the rear "hooking-up" more than i had previously;
(3) that bounce after a big bump like rr tracks is substantially diminished; and, most importantly,
(4) it's ridiculously clear that I gotta do the front ASAP. Those shocks were totally shot. I could compress them with my thumb, they were insanely slow to return and, when compared to the Bilsteins, they seem "weak."

MHD / Wedge / 93 Octane/ xHP / FMIC / Inlets / Catted DPs / CP / DVs
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 05:11 PM   #5
PrematureApex
Colonel
Rep
Drives: N55 X1, N54 135, s54 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwebb335xi View Post
Thanks for the comments/help guys!

I'm embarrased to admit this, but it took me about 3 hours in total to do the rear. This was my first time doing shocks, and I had to learn a bit along the way. That said, I took a lot of pictures and will probably post some more details on the particular set-up in case anyone else may learn from my experience.

After a very short test ride over some crappy road with rail road tracks, I have a couple quick observations:

(1) the rear does not squat as much when I first hit the gas from a stop;
(2) when turning and accelerating, I feel the rear "hooking-up" more than i had previously;
(3) that bounce after a big bump like rr tracks is substantially diminished; and, most importantly,
(4) it's ridiculously clear that I gotta do the front ASAP. Those shocks were totally shot. I could compress them with my thumb, they were insanely slow to return and, when compared to the Bilsteins, they seem "weak."
Just one comment, the Bilsteins are high pressure gas. They will always be significantly harder to compress vs. twin tube shocks.

Even a brand new Koni is going to feel weak vs. a Bilstein when compressing the shock. Just the nature of the design. Hence, Bilsteins tend to raise ride height a hair, and effectively add a bit of spring rate.

Anyway, regardless of the condition of your stockers, you made a good decision. Your HDs are robust, well built, and much better performing. Firm, but not harsh ride.
'08 N54 535xi touring (Bilstein B6s, Downpipes, MHD tune, baby seat)
Appreciate 0