F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Door mirror woes!
Studio RSR

03-11-2016, 01:33 PM   #1
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M440i xDrive

Door mirror woes!

Fortunately not my 435i and apologies for putting it on this forum as well!
I've just posted a thread on the F20 1 series forum on this site with regard to a query about a door mirror.
My pink fluffy eared daughter has just clouted her o/s door mirror ( apparently it wasn't her fault it just jumped out and bit her.... fecking idiot!! )
My question is ...does anyone know if the 1 Series door mirrors are similar in construction to the 4 Series ones i.e. cover comes in three parts, two bits of plastic top and bottom and the LED indicator strip/module in the middle of the sandwich?

Any info would be appreciated guys!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 02:36 PM   #2
ashley6285
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

All 1, 2, 3 and 4 series use the same wind mirrors
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 03:07 PM   #3
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for that! So does this mean you can buy the bottom trim (below the indicator strip) as a separate part?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
roshambo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 435i M Sport

I'd check realoem but I though that part of the mirror is the whole unit of the wing mirror as opposed to a simple clip on cover (above the indicator).
      03-11-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roshambo View Post
I'd check realoem but I though that part of the mirror is the whole unit of the wing mirror as opposed to a simple clip on cover (above the indicator).
Thanks for that roshambo!

Looks like it is a cover after all from the diagram!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2016, 01:41 AM   #6
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

If you need door mirror glass and you have auto dimming/folding mirrors let me know as I have a spare O/S going having replaced driver side recently and buying set of 2
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 03:41 AM   #7
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverBeaver View Post
If you need door mirror glass and you have auto dimming/folding mirrors let me know as I have a spare O/S going having replaced driver side recently and buying set of 2
That's really good to know WeaverBeaver! This is the glass for an F20 1 series I take it?

I'd only need to get back to you if I crack the sod trying to get it out!
Know I have to remove glass and disconnect everything inside to get to the screws and retaining clips for the covers but won't be doing the job until back end of next month. Still if nobody else takes it off your hands them keep a hold of it....I might need it!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:18 AM   #8
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

if it uses the same mirrors as the F30 as mentioned, shouldn't the cover just pop off? Only the carbon ones are screwed into place. Shouldn't need to remove the glass.

At least I hope so - have some replacment black ones coming soon and I've been told they're just a pull off/push on job.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 06:23 AM   #9
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
if it uses the same mirrors as the F30 as mentioned, shouldn't the cover just pop off? Only the carbon ones are screwed into place. Shouldn't need to remove the glass.

At least I hope so - have some replacment black ones coming soon and I've been told they're just a pull off/push on job.
If it's the top cover that's body coloured or high gloss black shadowline of whatever depending on vehicle trim level then yes I think they do.
My problem is it's the lower one that's scuffed and that's the one the LED indicator strip is slotted into so whole bloody lot has to be stripped out !

look up your car on realoem.com and have a look at the 'exploded' diagram of the parts for the door mirror and that may give you some idea?
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2016, 06:56 AM   #10
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post
That's really good to know WeaverBeaver! This is the glass for an F20 1 series I take it?

Know I have to remove glass and disconnect everything inside to get to the screws and retaining clips for the covers but won't be doing the job until back end of next month. Still if nobody else takes it off your hands them keep a hold of it....I might need it!
Sure will do. I'm 99% sure it will also work for the 1 series as the mirrors for the 1/2/3/4 series are all the same I believe. Oh well - fingers crossed you don't break it
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2016, 02:14 PM   #11
R0B
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeaverBeaver
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmnut View Post

Sure will do. I'm 99% sure it will also work for the 1 series as the mirrors for the 1/2/3/4 series are all the same I believe. Oh well - fingers crossed you don't break it
Be mindful that there's also a difference in the finish of the housing. M sport have gloss black, all else have matte black.

The clear indicator strip is indeed a part in its own right, held with a few screws as I recall.

I had a similar incident and bought a donor unit from fleabay, using the bits I needed (all but the housing, basically).
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
bmnut
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbo View Post
Be mindful that there's also a difference in the finish of the housing. M sport have gloss black, all else have matte black.

The clear indicator strip is indeed a part in its own right, held with a few screws as I recall.

I had a similar incident and bought a donor unit from fleabay, using the bits I needed (all but the housing, basically).
Thanks Robbo! Got the part from my local dealer yesterday...£9.82....must be the cheapest bit of OEM BMW trim I've ever bought!
Had a good chat with the master tech at the dealership whilst I was there and he gave me some 'trade tips' on how not to break it (hopefully!) and even printed off the BMW workshop technicians notes for me.....good bloke!....saves me paying a hundred and stupid or something per hour to let them do it!
Appreciate 0