F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Dead zone on brake pedal
Extreme Powerhouse

03-06-2016, 01:05 PM   #1
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Dead zone on brake pedal

I've had my F30 for a little over two years now, and recently noticed a change in the feel of my brakes, best explained as little to no response from the brake pedal for the first couple inches that I push it in. I brought it in for maintenance, only to be told that everything with the brakes was up to spec and looked fine. Perhaps a year earlier, I had also felt the brakes getting a bit soft, only to be told that there were no issues by the maintenance guys - yet it was better when I got it back.

I've had other people confirm the same thing when driving my car, so I don't think I'm just losing it. Has anyone experienced something similar?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 02:24 PM   #2
ajob
Lieutenant
Monaco
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Try first something real simple: turn engine on and (while stationary!) pump the brake slowly but strongly two times. Brake pedal travel should then immediately shorten.

Reason: after a few thousand miles the brake pads wear thinner and the brake piston must travel farther - and the pedal piston too, unless you replenish the oil circuit between the two pistons: this is accomplished with a strong pumping.
If this does not solve your problem, then have your SA look carefully for other reasons.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
S4NoMore
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16 340i, 15 X3d, 91 318i

Garage List
2016 BMW 340i  [0.00]
2015 BMW X3 28d  [0.00]
1991 BMW 318i  [8.66]
What you're feeling could be air in the lines, which compresses before the brake fluid builds pressure that you feel in the pedal. Bleeding the brakes (properly) will address this, it should be done as part of regular service visits along with a full flush of the fluid, oil change etc.

If you're still under warranty you'd be justified in asking for a brake bleed, which doesn't require another full flush.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajob View Post
Try first something real simple: turn engine on and (while stationary!) pump the brake slowly but strongly two times. Brake pedal travel should then immediately shorten.

Reason: after a few thousand miles the brake pads wear thinner and the brake piston must travel farther - and the pedal piston too, unless you replenish the oil circuit between the two pistons: this is accomplished with a strong pumping.
If this does not solve your problem, then have your SA look carefully for other reasons.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S4NoMore View Post
What you're feeling could be air in the lines, which compresses before the brake fluid builds pressure that you feel in the pedal. Bleeding the brakes (properly) will address this, it should be done as part of regular service visits along with a full flush of the fluid, oil change etc.

If you're still under warranty you'd be justified in asking for a brake bleed, which doesn't require another full flush.
Thanks for the advice! The strong pumping doesn't seem to have solved anything (that's what she said?), so I'll have to bring it back in for service and see if they can figure it out this time.
Appreciate 0