THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums AUSTRALIA Catless downpipe

03-02-2016, 01:09 AM   #1
Bakks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

Catless downpipe

I am looking at getting a catless downpipe (probably VRSF). Can anyone comment whether these fit without issues to RHD cars, or alternatively recommend another brand which fits ok?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 05:33 AM   #2
Total madness
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i EB2

Hi Bakks
I bought the vrsf downpipe and should
Install it in a few weeks. Can't report on fitment, but the threads shown no issues with their new design.
Shipping and packaging was perfect.
I'll report back once on the car ;-)
Hard to go wrong for 250$
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 04:13 AM   #3
Amack
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: EB 2016 M235i

Bakks, are you going to order online? If you have already would love to here where and how did it go.

I too am looking at getting a DP however I really cant decide if I should go Catless or Catted. My problem here will be purely legal, I dont want to be hit with a massive fine.

Aussie as well
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:17 AM   #4
2Banger
M POSTER
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post
Bakks, are you going to order online? If you have already would love to here where and how did it go.

I too am looking at getting a DP however I really cant decide if I should go Catless or Catted. My problem here will be purely legal, I dont want to be hit with a massive fine.

Aussie as well
Lots of people run catless ive never heard of people getting busted for it.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 03:13 AM   #5
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 comp, X5 M50i ordered

I've ordered a catted DP as I wanted it to be all good in the (admittedly very slim) chance that the car was inspected, plus I've heard catless can have a bit of a smell and be a bit louder / raspier. But like has been said, I'm sure the catless would be fine in Aus given we don't have regular emissions testing like overseas and it is cheaper.

I'm going with BCS (UK) so will def fit RHD and have been impressed with the info received regarding their flow characteristics etc.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 09:36 AM   #6
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Banger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amack View Post

Aussie as well
Lots of people run catless ive never heard of people getting busted for it.
It's very rare to get busted. For a normal exhaust BMW might turn a blind eye for warranty claims while a catless downpipe definitely not.

In terms of getting "busted" my friend had a completely stock e63 AMG, he got done for noise (neighbours) complained. So it depends where you live and what kind of neighbours you have, catless can be very noisy, and definitely won't pass db tests if you get defected.

Anyhow those are just some possible negatives, but like others have said, it's very rare.

Personally I didn't do it because of the smell. If you park in an enclosed garage, smell goes into the house and it's not pleasant
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 11:50 PM   #7
Bakks
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW M135i

I've had heaps of cars with no cats before and never, ever noticed a smell so I'm not concerned by that.

Given they are pretty cheap I'll just get one and if it's too loud / sounds shit I can just remove it I guess.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 03:01 AM   #8
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Yeah, fair enough then.

I've heard of others using the Wagner DP (both non-catted and catted) so I would think that should fit RHD as well. Although I believe they are more ex than VRSF.

Racing Dynamics are the local distributor for both (I think?) here in Perth, or perhaps it would be cheaper to buy directly from overseas, I haven't looked into VRSF.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 08:14 AM   #9
terminator335i
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

just fitted the hfc wagner downpipes combined with the supersprint catback system. No smell, no error codes and a hell of an intoxicating burble on downshift/letting off the throttle.
And yes it fits like a charm in my RHD 335i
. Difference in horsepower between catted and catless is very small (around 6-10 hp only) but pricewise they are also alot cheaper. they do however throw a cel and leave a bad smell in your garage.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2016, 05:15 PM   #10
Wasko
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post
I've ordered a catted DP as I wanted it to be all good in the (admittedly very slim) chance that the car was inspected, plus I've heard catless can have a bit of a smell and be a bit louder / raspier. But like has been said, I'm sure the catless would be fine in Aus given we don't have regular emissions testing like overseas and it is cheaper.

I'm going with BCS (UK) so will def fit RHD and have been impressed with the info received regarding their flow characteristics etc.
Do you mind posting a video when you have it installed? I've just started looking into a DP so will check BCS out.

Do you have any other exhaust components installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:22 PM   #11
Arrow29
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrow29 View Post

Do you mind posting a video when you have it installed? I've just started looking into a DP so will check BCS out.

Do you have any other exhaust components installed?
No worries will try and get a video once fitted. Don't have any go pros or anything but will see what I can do.

Hoping to fit in the next month or so. No other exhaust mods, keeping the stock cat-back system for time being.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:30 PM   #12
Stuart@BMRAutowerkes
Major General
Rep
Drives: a black car

We have fitted a VRSF, had to put in an additional o2 bung as one of them fouled on the steering rack.

This was a catless DP on a 2014 (EWG) M135i.
Appreciate 0