THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum Regional Forums USA - Southeast BMW m235i Lease in Georgia

03-01-2016, 12:35 AM   #1
rezilient
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Cabriolet

Question BMW m235i Lease in Georgia

Hi all.

I'm going through a lease takeover of a 2014 m235i that is currently registered in Florida. If all goes well I should have the car here by end of this week. The lease has 13 months left which should give me enough time to decide if I want to keep it and buy it out. The residual is quite decent too.

I was planning to register the vehicle here in Fulton county but have been reading about how in 2013 they changed the Ad Valorem tax for leases to tax you on the full book value of the car, not just on the "rent" payments you'll be making. So for example if the current book value is around $35K my taxes owing would be around $2400...! Is this right?

Also I've read that I'll have to pay the TAVT again if I decide to buy the car next year. So I am considering just doing a lease to loan transfer right now, and just buy out the car (financing) and then register it once.

Look forward to any thoughts or feedback.
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2016, 09:17 AM   #2
gpburdell
Private
Rep
Drives: EBII M235i

Yes, I believe that is right. I leased my car last year and paid the TAVT. If I want to buy the car at end of lease then I pay TAVT again which is dumb. So I have no real incentive to do this.

What's worse is TAVT isn't tax deductible. At least under the old system it was. I guess if you hold the car for a long time then TAVT is better. For us who like to lease and change cars every few years it sucks.
Appreciate 0