F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > BAV S1 & GHOST SUB Hybrid Install and Review
Studio RSR

02-29-2016, 03:16 PM   #1
skiprite
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 428xi Coupe

BAV S1 & GHOST SUB Hybrid Install and Review

As others, I was disappointed in the Hfi system. After much research, it came down to the Stage 1 and Ghost sub sets or the Bimmer Tech amp. More research, especially looking at the condition of the oem speakers on the installation video, I decided on the speakers/subs. The tool set was free.

My plan was to self install the center channel and subs and let the pros do the other six speakers. I suggest you study the install videos even if you are using an installer. It will help and save $.

Sub install:

The video shows the install perfectly. Put the seat backs down towards the front. This will give you straight down access to the subs.

My subs were stuck the gasket. I used a hairdresser on both sides of the plug connector for about 1 minute. I used the pry tool gently breaking the bead and the subs popped out easily.

The reinstall was easy and everything took a little over a hour.

Center channel:

Again, the video was dead on. Try to use your fingers to remove screws as much as possible as they are not magnetic. Angle driver worked flawlessly.

The install took about a half hour, mainly due to difficult visual access.

Door/panel speakers and tweeters:

I used an installer with over 20 yrs experience. They charged $85/hr. They tried to estimate 3 hrs. I showed them the video which showed the door panel being removed in 10 minutes. They revised it to 2 hrs.

I stayed and watched. The whole install took 1 hr and 20 min! I spent $130 and saved the same amount on the sub and center channel install.

Review:

Used to DJ and am used to good speakers(Wharfedale's at home). I used a fav cd to compare. The sound was fantastic! I expected the bass to be tight and smooth...it was....I expected the mids and highs to be better...they were. But I did not expect to hear sounds and even instruments I've never heard in songs I've heard scores of times! I am extremely happy. The power is enough for me, so I made the right choice. Definitely recommend the upgrade!
Attached Images

Last edited by skiprite; 02-29-2016 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 03:18 PM   #2
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

no AMP?

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 06:25 PM   #3
skiprite
Registered
Rep

Not yet. Maybe in the future.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:09 PM   #4
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
no AMP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiprite View Post
Not yet. Maybe in the future.

You'll need one (I recommend BimmerTech) to experience your setups full potential as the OEM Amp is the weak link...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #5
skiprite
Registered
Rep

That's the one, thanks.
Appreciate 0