F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Who has Dash-cam in the car?
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2016, 06:05 PM   #1
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mercedes AMG C63S

Garage List
Who has Dash-cam in the car?

How many guys here are having dash cams in your cars? Do we really need it especially at greater LA area?

Because my friend surprised I don't have one in my car, and he told me he recently got an accident because an asshole didn't stop at stop sign, but that asshole called the police told them my friend didn't stop. Plus, because no one was around there at the time, so they were telling the police two different stories, ended up my friend hired an attorney to fight this case and my friend won, but he paid more money than he actually got claimed. And he got the dash camera now and told me if he got the dash camera back then, he can sue that asshole to die. And spend around $100 for a dash cam to protect self is always worthy.

But I never thought about this kind of things would be happen, so wondering how many people actually are using dash cam here. Is it really worthy?

Thanks
BMW F30 335i M Performance Edition
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_335iMPerformance View Post
How many guys here are having dash cams in your cars? Do we really need it especially at greater LA area?

Because my friend surprised I don't have one in my car, and he told me he recently got an accident because an asshole didn't stop at stop sign, but that asshole called the police told them my friend didn't stop. Plus, because no one was around there at the time, so they were telling the police two different stories, ended up my friend hired an attorney to fight this case and my friend won, but he paid more money than he actually got claimed. And he got the dash camera now and told me if he got the dash camera back then, he can sue that asshole to die. And spend around $100 for a dash cam to protect self is always worthy.

But I never thought about this kind of things would be happen, so wondering how many people actually are using dash cam here. Is it really worthy?

Thanks
Go get yourself a dash cam ASAP. It helps give you some peace of mind when shit hits the fan.
      02-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #3
Orion4
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Sport Line Sedan

Yes. A Blackvue DR650GW-2CH (Front and Rear)
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:49 AM   #4
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Go get yourself a dash cam ASAP. It helps give you some peace of mind when shit hits the fan.
I already did after I read your comments, thanks
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 11:51 AM   #5
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
Thanks, man, I searched this one, but ended up I found a real similar one, called DDPai, http://www.7daycam.com/ddpai-dashcam...lack-box.html/ and way cheaper, looks so great, I like the Wi-Fi connection to my smart phone, lol, thanks
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
RarScaryFrosty
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

I have a rexing F9 hardwired into my car. It turns on and off with the car and has worked pretty flawlessly so far. It can be mounted via 3M tape, or a suction cup. You can see tons of videos on youtube for this. The video is overall clear, and you can read license plates in the day time. Night time video is good too, but only when there's a lot of street lamps and other cars around to illuminate the view.

http://www.amazon.com/Version-Dashbo...ct_top?ie=UTF8

Wiring it to the 12v input under the glovebox worked like a charm. It turns off 10min after the car is turned off, and it powers on and begins recording when I unlock the car doors with the key fob. Without any tools at all, I was able to hide all of the wiring in the ceiling above, down the A-pillar, behind the glovebox, and behind plastic trim in the passenger footwell. Most of the interior panels in the car are "loose" enough at the edge to just lightly push the wiring into. The only visible wire is 4" long coming from the ceiling to the camera.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 09:22 AM   #7
rastaman777
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 i8 coupe,2019x5,2019 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion4 View Post
+1

Probably getting a second one for our x3 as well.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 11:23 AM   #8
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rastaman777 View Post
+1

Probably getting a second one for our x3 as well.
I thought about front & back, too, but I was wondering how do I hide the wire from back camera? But ended up I got another brand, half price, and the features are the same, most importantly they got office at LA, so I straight up to the office to pick it up and they even installed it for me. lol......Blackvue is Korean brand, I know it has reputation, but I don't wanna call or email them when the product got something wrong, I prefer go to the store and they have warranty and everything physically. They are selling Blackvue and their own brand, too.
http://www.7daycam.com/ddpai-dashcam...lack-box.html/
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 12:34 AM   #9
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

I picked up a Blackvue myself plus their power magic pro hardwire kit. Super easy install even for a novice like me since our cars make it really easy to run the wire all the way to the fuse box in the trunk completely hidden. Once everything is set up it runs perfectly and the motion detecting / G-sensor parking mode is awesome.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2016, 08:34 PM   #10
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim View Post
I picked up a Blackvue myself plus their power magic pro hardwire kit. Super easy install even for a novice like me since our cars make it really easy to run the wire all the way to the fuse box in the trunk completely hidden. Once everything is set up it runs perfectly and the motion detecting / G-sensor parking mode is awesome.
A lot of forum friends are recommending Blackvue, I did took look with it, not bad but just little pricy to me personally. As long as we all got protected by dash cam now. lol
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #11
Emilim
Dust Bunny
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F31 328i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by F30_335iMPerformance View Post
A lot of forum friends are recommending Blackvue, I did took look with it, not bad but just little pricy to me personally. As long as we all got protected by dash cam now. lol
Honestly the only reason I got Blackvue was because it's the only dashcam that I know of that had tons of online guides/instructions specifically on how to install it on a F3x with their hardwire kit. I wanted to be sure that the install will result in zero exposed wire (beside the little bit that comes out of the dashcam before it is tucked behind the rearview mirror shroud) and none of that cigarette lighter port nonsense (our Canadian cars don't have a port under the glove box, but even if it did I don't like the fact that something is sticking out under there ready to be kicked off by my wife).

Now that I've done it I can say the result is exactly as I hoped. Our cars make it really easy to tuck the wire into the headliner and behind the rubber trim without any tools at all. Once you've run it to the fuse box compartment in the trunk it's just a matter of hooking everything up, secure the wires and you're good to go. All in all 30 minutes was all it took.

Video quality wise I actually do think you can do better than Blackvues at the same price range. I've actually seen plenty of other dashcams in the same price range or even cheaper that appeared to have clearer or sharper images. If I were to do this again I would probably consider other brands that have a similar hardwire kit as well.
      03-05-2016, 03:42 PM   #12
KELVIN7
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilim View Post
Honestly the only reason I got Blackvue was because it's the only dashcam that I know of that had tons of online guides/instructions specifically on how to install it on a F3x with their hardwire kit. I wanted to be sure that the install will result in zero exposed wire (beside the little bit that comes out of the dashcam before it is tucked behind the rearview mirror shroud) and none of that cigarette lighter port nonsense (our Canadian cars don't have a port under the glove box, but even if it did I don't like the fact that something is sticking out under there ready to be kicked off by my wife).

Now that I've done it I can say the result is exactly as I hoped. Our cars make it really easy to tuck the wire into the headliner and behind the rubber trim without any tools at all. Once you've run it to the fuse box compartment in the trunk it's just a matter of hooking everything up, secure the wires and you're good to go. All in all 30 minutes was all it took.

Video quality wise I actually do think you can do better than Blackvues at the same price range. I've actually seen plenty of other dashcams in the same price range or even cheaper that appeared to have clearer or sharper images. If I were to do this again I would probably consider other brands that have a similar hardwire kit as well.
correct, you got the points, we all got first time. as long as we got the right ones for ourselves.
BMW E92 335is
BMW E92 328i
Lancer Evolution X MR
Appreciate 0