F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Bad cars
proTUNING Freaks

02-26-2016, 01:13 PM   #1
ewanmac
Captain
Rep
Drives: m140i

Bad cars

I remember thinking recently that manufacturers probably don't make a bad car anymore. Hyundai and Kia are up there with the mainstream and produce decent cars, skoda are obviously decent and we no longer have joke cars such as yugo, lada, daewoo etc.

However, my monthly trip to Birmingham where I hire a car from the airport to Newark changed my mind. I've had 308s, golfs, focus but this time I was given a Toyota auris. Fine I thought - dull but it will be ok.

It was horrendous. Inside, it had the most non descript dash made with brittle plastics. The nav looked like an aftermarket thing from halfords. The ventilation controls felt brittle and when the sun was out, the climate control got confused and sent freezing cold air in the cabin even when set at 22 and it was 2 degrees outside. The volume control had a 2 second delay so you ended up turning it up or down far too much and the engine was quite noisy.

What was really annoying was every time you changed the temperature or turned the radio up, the sat nav screen would change display and you lost the map you were looking at. I don't need a second display to tell me what temperature it is (there's a small lcd display just like we have to do that). I also don't care what setting the sound is at - my ears can tell me.

It even had a lad clock that looked straight out of a Datsun bluebird from 1988.

So there still are some bad cars out there. I can't think of one redeeming feature of the auris - toyotas aren't even that reliable now! A Hyundai i30 is a far better car, why anyone would purchase an auris is beyond me.

Are there any other contenders?
      02-26-2016, 01:25 PM   #2
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Hmm what was released about a year ago, MG6? I think even the British press (I know it's no longer a British car) gave it 2.5/5. I think they usually add a star on to cars remotely linked with the UK industry a la XEs XFs etc winning group tests at launch.

To me that screamed poor car
      02-27-2016, 09:47 AM   #3
TimMcC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW I01 i3S & Jaguar I-Pace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris10Bimmers View Post
Hmm what was released about a year ago, MG6? I think even the British press (I know it's no longer a British car) gave it 2.5/5. I think they usually add a star on to cars remotely linked with the UK industry a la XEs XFs etc winning group tests at launch.

To me that screamed poor car
I had an MG6 hire car for a few days last year... simply awful. It's the only car I've driven that has no redeeming features at all. They're not even particularly cheap!

The guy from Hertz told me they spend most of their time in the garage due to mechanical failure. On mine the engine sounded ill and the steering wheel vibrated above 20mph.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:05 PM   #4
Tengocity
General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 911, Cayenne Turbo, Disco 4

One of my reps had an Auris estate for a short term lease and I do remember thinking it was quite awful. Toyota really does seem to the car for people who don't like cars but have to have one.
Current: Porsche 911 991 C4S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo, Land Rover Discovery 4. Gone...G01 X3 M40i, Cayman S 987, F31 340i, Cayman GT4, F82 M4 CP, Lotus Exige V6, G20 330e, F30 330e, Boxster S 987, F31 335d, Mini Cooper SD, E89 Z4, E90 330d 320d, E60 520d, E46 330d 320d, MX5s, E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 01:44 PM   #5
WeaverBeaver
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: F30 335d xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tengocity View Post
One of my reps had an Auris estate for a short term lease and I do remember thinking it was quite awful. Toyota really does seem to the car for people who don't like cars but have to have one.
Precisely the same goes for Lexus, as it seems to me people buy them are those who want a more premium car but have no interest in driving whatsoever (RCF / ISF excluded). Funny they're owned by Toyota, seems they've got the economy and premium demographic of driving UNenthusiasts fully covered...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2016, 04:53 PM   #6
dazzapb
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M Comp

Appreciate its very old hat now, but nothing prepared me for the utter shock of a 'friend' letting me look after his Chrysler crossfire v6 something crap. The utter cachophany of rattles and creaking noises was unbeilable and that was when the fecker wasn't even moving.

It reminded me of my d reg orion in terms of interior quality but worse, it also was flipping slow. Yes i need therapy
Appreciate 0