F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > My ears are no longer bleeding, Bye Bye BASE Stereo EQ!!
Studio RSR

02-23-2016, 10:07 PM   #1
carmo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 320i xdrive

Talking My ears are no longer bleeding, Bye Bye BASE Stereo EQ!!

So tonight I gathered up the courage to try to get rid of the god awful treble boosted EQ of my base stereo system. I have Focal IFBMW-s front speakers, an old infinity perfect 12 sub and an alpine MRX-V70 5 channel amp powering everything (and of course a TECHNIC harness). Even with this setup the sound was barely better than having just one mid speaker in each door although the bass was very nice and tight.

Tonight I decided to try to see if changing the value under HU_ENTRY :3002 AUDIO_TUNER_TRAFFIC,78: AUDIO_SYSTEM_CIC to "HIFI" as suggested in another post from Bimmerfest and guess what....................it freakin worked! The sound changed completely and sounded at first like an old AM radio. This was because my treble was set all the way to zero to try to compensate for the previously over EQ'd signal from the Base Stereo. Treble now way up and it is now clear and punchy without being harsh and i can listen to almost any song without cringing.

I do find that i am missing some mid vocals but i think some tuning may help in that respect. Maybe I became so used to the crappy sound that somehow i have a sort of base stereo Stockholm syndrome?

In any case the rear speakers are still powered by the radio so i am not sure if this change codes the radio itself as pure hifi with balanced outputs or simply removes the Base Stereo EQ. I am slightly disappointed with the Focals though, my old Boston Pros put these to shame. I guess i will only know how good they are after some proper tuning. Can anyone share their crossover points for the door speakers, underseat subs and trunk sub?

I hope this change actually works for others. I know i am one happy camper.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0