F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Northwest > thoughts on moving to portland??
ARMA SPEED

02-17-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
mtbnole
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i Msport

thoughts on moving to portland??

We are moving to Portland in the next few months and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on moving from the east coast, driving in the area, or general useful info on the NW. We are coming from Florida where things are slightly different...

Also, I need new tires. Would pilot super sports be ok in portland during the winter? I know there is little to no snow there, but what about the cold temps?

Thanks
      02-17-2016, 04:58 PM   #2
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbnole View Post
We are moving to Portland in the next few months and I was wondering if anyone had any feedback on moving from the east coast, driving in the area, or general useful info on the NW. We are coming from Florida where things are slightly different...

Also, I need new tires. Would pilot super sports be ok in portland during the winter? I know there is little to no snow there, but what about the cold temps?

Thanks
We've had a pretty warm winter this year, but we have spent a good solid 1.5 months with morning temps near or below 40 degrees, and there are usually at least one or two "snow" days. Some years have more snow days, I've been here for 16.5 years and plenty of the winters I've been through have had a week+ of snow. I'm from the midwest, so I generally find it pretty amusing when it snows here.

From the temps alone, I think you'd destroy the PSS's here in the winters. I have two sets of wheels for my car, though one of them just has the original All Season tires on them. Your PSS's will serve you just fine until November, though. It's been 40+ every morning for weeks and I'm really tempted to risk it and put my summer wheels back on.

Driving here is a bit of a mess. Portland isn't huge population-wise, but it is pretty compact, and with only a few freeways. Day to day driving has gotten worse since I moved here (the population has gone up a LOT since 1999), but I haven't driven in Florida since the early '90's (and that was one trip to Miami) so I can't give you a solid comparison.

If you know where you are going to work, take a look at a map when you look for somewhere to live. It's best to stay on one side of the river and I-5, if possible. If you and your SO are going to opposite sides of I-5 for work, you might consider the southern suburbs (Tualatin and Wilsonville) to split the difference.

Crime in Portland is pretty calm, but there are certainly areas of the East side of the city you should avoid if you are going to park nice cars outside.

All that being said, it is a pretty nice town! Lots to do and the summers are mostly just magic. Not too hot, not very humid.

:-) Hope you enjoy the place if you come!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:17 AM   #3
mtbnole
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. Good feedback. I'll be working in Milwaukee, so west Linn, or lake oswego look like where we will end up.

The traffic was pretty aweful when I was there last week, but just slow. Everyone seems to drive exactly the speed limit, and the roads are chewed up from the people driving on studded tires.

Would the michelins fare any worse than the stock continental summer tires?

On another note, I assume there are some great driving roads there, much better than Florida.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #4
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Working in Milwaukee, staying East of I-5 is your best bet. West Linn will be more expensive than Lake Oswego, but they are both pretty safe and cozy.

There are some decent roads once you get out of the metro area. Take HWY 26 out to the coast on a day when people aren't flocking to the sea and you can have a good deal of fun (hills, twists, etc...). There are plenty of hills and windy roads around once you look for them.

The tire issue is still about summer tires in sub-40-degree weather. It was about 36 this morning...pretty sure that's a bit too cold for any summer tire, and we do sometimes get into the 20's during the winter here and there. It has been a warm winter this year, for the most part. My understanding is that you can damage summer tires pretty quickly driving in temps this low. I haven't risked it with mine.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 01:01 PM   #5
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

Amazing driving roads out here. Highway 47, Highway 6, Highway 101, State Route 14 on the Washington side down the Columbia Gorge, all manner of twisties and fun country backroads, too.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 06:47 AM   #6
mtbnole
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks guys. What tires are you currently running? Is there a great AS tire that youve used?
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2016, 10:21 AM   #7
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

I've just been running the stock run flat Conti A/S and Summer tires on their respective wheels (A/S's on the stock 17's, and Summers on my 397's).
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 10:54 AM   #8
RedKloud
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW i4 M50

PDX is a great city. Moved here 3 years back (from the midwest). Best decision I've ever made!
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2016, 08:46 PM   #9
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep

Many of us are Midwest exports :-)
Appreciate 0