F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > ConnectedDrive on Canadian Cars = Disappointment
proTUNING Freaks

02-14-2016, 02:53 PM   #1
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
ConnectedDrive on Canadian Cars = Disappointment

I thought there was something wrong with my Connected Drive as whenever I go to:

ConnectedDrive -> BMW Online -> ConnectedDrive Store

I receive an error saying something went wrong and to contact BMW ConnectedDrive Customer support.

Well, as far as I have been able to figure out, there is no such thing as ConnectedDrive Customer Support, and generally the people answering the calls are there to deal with emergencies, or act like a cal a friend for looking up stuff for you.

I called the dealer and was basically told that other than Real Time Traffic Info and the installed apps, like Weather Yelp, some kind of weird Flickr thing, and a couple of others -- that is what you get, and enjoy those as the store does not work.

I have another BMW and was able to set up the unlock app to work, however, as I had an existing account, the dealer was not able to add my new vehicle. I was able to get this sorted out. It is rather disappointing that they have removed the unlocking feature from the app, you now have to call and have your car unlocked.

I am not expecting anything to change, I was just wondering if I am missing something. If I am, this is information, I would have been interested in having prior to making the purchase, more just to manage my expectations.

The other thing that is a little unclear, while the ConnectedDrive service includes a 4G connection to the internet, this only appears to be used for map updates pushed to your car, and the very limited connected services available. If you want to stream media, update RSS Feeds connect to Facebook or Twitter, you are using the data on your mobile device.

It is relatively minor, I am just the type of person that likes everything to work properly. I was kind of excited by the things available for the ConnectedDrive services in other markets. Things like music streaming stock quotes, and the internet.

Just wanted to put it out there that your mileage may vary depending on your market.

B.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #2
Tim@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Canada
Rep

Drives: 2022 X4 M Competition F98 LCI

Garage List
I had just gotten my 2015 328i xDrive M Sport and have also come to a disappointment with the 'vast' array of applications it's missing!

Actually I didn't even know music streaming was an option until I read this post. Googled it and wow, music streaming via the car's 3G/LTE connection! Considering how crap SiriusXM sounds in this car, that may have been a better avenue as well!

I guess we'll just have to wait patiently until they all work...

Question: I've reviewed my BMW ConnectedDrive Services contract and it states Remote Services is included for 10 years. Does this only include remote door unlocking or is it also in conjunction with the MyBMW Remote app?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:48 PM   #3
Mikli
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G05F36F16F82E90E86E46E36E30

The BMW Remote app works on my iPhone in Canada. You have to setup mybmw online and call concierge from your car to setup the pin. I have full time BMW concierge service and online news, sports, Google search, etc from my 2016 435 with build in 4G sim. Internet radio is via connected app while USB connected to your phone, yes. Also have free auto navi map updates. Not sure what else you need.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 06:51 PM   #4
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbits93 View Post
Question: I've reviewed my BMW ConnectedDrive Services contract and it states Remote Services is included for 10 years. Does this only include remote door unlocking or is it also in conjunction with the MyBMW Remote app?
Just curious if ConnectedDrive Services transfers with my purchase of my CPO 2014 328ix? Haven't had time to pursue this, not sure if I want to spend money on a service here in Canada that is somewhat limited. If the previous owner of the car purchased it, I would love to benefit if possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #5
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthurrs View Post
Just curious if ConnectedDrive Services transfers with my purchase of my CPO 2014 328ix? Haven't had time to pursue this, not sure if I want to spend money on a service here in Canada that is somewhat limited. If the previous owner of the car purchased it, I would love to benefit if possible.
All BMWs in Canada starting MY2014 come with the following:

Emergency Call - 10 years
TeleServices - 10 years

If Equipped with ConnectedDrive Services (Option 6AK), it includes the above plus the following:

Remote Services - 10 years
BMW Online - 3 years
ARTTI - 3 years
Concierge - 3 years
Internet - 1 year

The subscription is transferable to subsequent owners, as long as the Subscriber Agreement is filled out by a dealer. Then after 24-48 hours, you can use the SOS button to confirm the agreement has went through and you can start using it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikli View Post
The BMW Remote app works on my iPhone in Canada. You have to setup mybmw online and call concierge from your car to setup the pin. I have full time BMW concierge service and online news, sports, Google search, etc from my 2016 435 with build in 4G sim. Internet radio is via connected app while USB connected to your phone, yes. Also have free auto navi map updates. Not sure what else you need.
I guess what I meant was if the MyBMW Remote app falls under the 10 year agreement for Remote Services or if it was some other service that it falls under such as the 3 years for Online, ARTTI and Concierge.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 07:25 PM   #6
Arthurrs
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 430i xdrive Gran Coupe

Cool! That's good to know! Checking on my VIN options, I do know that I have 6AC Intelligent Emergency Call, 6AE Teleservices, 6NH Hands free facility with USB interface, and 609 Navigation system. Just wondering if it's worthwhile to get the ConnectedDrive option added to my car?

Been considering these options as well:
http://www.bimmer-tech.net/shop/bmw-...rive-retrofits
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 09:47 PM   #7
theblues
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MY14 328xi - Sportline

I thought ARTTI would be free for longer periods as per recent announcements by BMW!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2016, 11:16 PM   #8
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

TeleServices - 10 years

If Equipped with ConnectedDrive Services (Option 6AK), it includes the above plus the following:

BMW Online - 3 years
ARTTI - 3 years
Concierge - 3 years
Internet - 1 year
Thanks, all good information!

So, when you say internet is a 1 year subscription, is that just the stuff in the BMW Online section, so the Google search, news and weather? I thought this was included in the connected drive services.

B.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 12:10 AM   #9
Tim@codemybimmer
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bueller View Post

So, when you say internet is a 1 year subscription, is that just the stuff in the BMW Online section, so the Google search, news and weather? I thought this was included in the connected drive services.

B.
Internet just corresponds to the on-board internet browser (kind of useless if you tell me).

BMW Online itself is 3 years, which makes up the bulk of the ConnectedDrive services including news and weather, Google search and other applications.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2016, 10:24 PM   #10
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

TeleServices - 10 years

BMW Online - 3 years
ARTTI - 3 years
Concierge - 3 years
Internet - 1 year

So, when you say internet is a 1 year subscription, is that just the stuff in the BMW Online section, so the Google search, news and weather? I thought this was included in the connected drive services. I wonder if someone from BMW will try and shake me down for some kind of subscription fee for that after a year?

I agree, the XM for music sounds horrible, on top of that half of their stations play really annoying ads, I could not imagine paying $15 a month for it! I do enjoy the CNBC and BBC though. I don't think this is a BMW issue, I think as they have a finite amount of bandwidth and as they have added more services they have compressed their streams more.

While the BMW connected app allow you to steam web radio, I also use A-ha radio (it is the app that work with current Porsche PCM equipped cars) which allows you to stream CNBC podcasts and some programming you can't find on the BMW connected app. I kind of discovered it works by accident as I was using it in another car, then switched cars and plugged in my phone and what I was listening to in my Porsche continued in the BMW.

Problem with all this stuff is that manufacturers have to have it on their feature list from a sales standpoint, and really, BMWs stuff is better than everyone else, but Tesla The reality is, and I am guessing, not a large percentage of people buying BMWs or any other brand of car with this stuff uses more than 10% of the capabilities of their systems, so if it does not work, perfectly, nobody is really sweating it that much. Adding insult to injury (is this a Canadian term?) Canadian sales are in the low single digits as a percentage of total sales, so like a lot of other things, south of the border, there is a far more robust experience.

B.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2017, 02:22 PM   #11
alexhasin
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 550i

I just want to use that new connected app offered for US and even in China. I don't understand how hard it could be. Maybe BMW Canada doesn't care us.
Appreciate 0