THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Bird bombed: what to do?

02-09-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Bird bombed: what to do?

Came back from lunch to find three nasty presents from our flying foes on my rear deck. Can someone recommend the best technique, instrument and substance with which to banish this corrosive blemish on my beautiful Bimmer? I am unable to get out to buy specialized supplies this afternoon so if anyone can suggest an approach using normal household cleansers I would be very grateful.

2015 BMW 228i M Sport w/Track Handling Package
DAP | Lighting | Premium | Tech
DINANTRONICS Performance Tuner Stage 1 | DINAN Shockware | DINAN Free Flow Exhaust | DINAN Performance Spring Set + Ride Quality and Handling Kit
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

This is why I always have some quick detailer and a mf towel with me in my trunk. Sorry, I know that doesn't help with your immediate concern.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:13 PM   #3
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryJI View Post
... so if anyone can suggest an approach using normal household cleansers I would be very grateful.
In your dreams my friend, in your dreams.

First off, if that bird poop stayed on your car in direct sunlight for any amount of time, it has now etched into the clear coat. All the scrubbing on the deck of the USS Missouri ain't gonna remove that stain. You now need to use a process called "claying and paint correction" in order to shave that area of the clear coat down to just PAST that stain in order to remove it. You ain't going to be able to do this by hand (as a matter of fact, you'll probably make it worse), so don't bother hopping over to your local auto store and falling for some gimmick in a bottle like most novices to paint care do. You will end up making the stain even bigger.

The instructions for what has to be done are in this thread. I explain the ENTIRE correction process. Get some popcorn and PEN & PAPER and learn what needs to be done. There are 5 videos and they total 2 hours in length. I could fix that damage in 10 minutes using what I show in those videos. So you may want to just take it to a detailer if you don't have the time or the patience to learn the correct way to fix that damage.
      02-09-2016, 10:51 PM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
In your dreams my friend, in your dreams.

First off, if that bird poop stayed on your car in direct sunlight for any amount of time, it has now etched into the clear coat. All the scrubbing on the deck of the USS Missouri ain't gonna remove that stain. You now need to use a process called "claying and paint correction" in order to shave that area of the clear coat down to just PAST that stain in order to remove it. You ain't going to be able to do this by hand (as a matter of fact, you'll probably make it worse), so don't bother hopping over to your local auto store and falling for some gimmick in a bottle like most novices to paint care do. You will end up making the stain even bigger.

The instructions for what has to be done are in this thread. I explain the ENTIRE correction process. Get some popcorn and PEN & PAPER and learn what needs to be done. There are 5 videos and they total 2 hours in length. I could fix that damage in 10 minutes using what I show in those videos. So you may want to just take it to a detailer if you don't have the time or the patience to learn the correct way to fix that damage.
Got any claybar vids?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2016, 10:59 PM   #5
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Got any claybar vids?

02-10-2016, 12:28 PM   #6
BarryJI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 228i M Sport

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:47 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

For future reference, if you don't want a huge bottle rolling around in your trunk, just put some waterless car wash (I like
Chemical guys but whatever you prefer) in a 2oz spray bottle. You can get 6 aluminum ones for like $2 each on Amazon. That and a MF towel and you've got an easy emergency kit. Ounce of prevention...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 07:05 PM   #8
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"
United_States
Rep

Here's the car that I used in this video.

After:

And because photographs can be edited, here's the video. By the way, there's absolutely NO WAX on that car whatsoever. It was a trick question. That's what polishing with a sound technique can do for black cars.

02-18-2016, 09:17 PM   #9
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Very awesome Junkman. I just had this happen to me the other day. I had to put a dab of uber compound on a MF towel and spot correct real quick.
Appreciate 0