E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > CAI and Modified snorkel= cooler oil temps

02-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

CAI and Modified snorkel= cooler oil temps

I have installed my CAI for about two days and finally driven the car both criusing as well as running hard at times...The temps here are around 29-32 degrees...My oil temps have never been so low before...It usually hovers around 240 and never moves around those same temperature...Well after the UR intake and my modified snorkel piece, the engine has not gone over 230, in fact its on a steady 220...I am thinking that my modified snorkel piece is actually making the engine much cooler than before...The snorkel is now being used to funnel cold air into the engine bay...I modified the snorkel to blow the air into the open part of the empty space that once was the air box..So in essence I am using the snorkel to cool the engine instead of getting air to the airbox!!! My temps before CAI and modified snorkel was 240, now it hovers at 220-230...same temps...What do you guys think? I know some of you think its my imagination, but its not, it really works!

Last edited by cn555ic; 01-28-2009 at 09:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Mcoupe

02-28-2008, 07:53 PM   #3
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
Dude why are u always doubting what people say, why because it wasn't you that thought of this...Yeah you know alot of shit, but always banter people on things that people are experimenting with...How is your mutilation of a perfect UR cai doing?? I have never heard of someone buying a 500 CAi that everyone knows it works perfect, but you want to mutilate it and make a heat shield...If you want to sigh about something, look in the mirror!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 07:57 PM   #4
J-Sud
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

in theory this is a good idea.....question is, i wonder what temp difference you will get in 90 deg. weather?....
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 07:59 PM   #5
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

I think the idea is good. It's better then wasting that air flow.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #6
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Wow, I don't even have to say anything anymore.
      02-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #7
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Sud View Post
in theory this is a good idea.....question is, i wonder what temp difference you will get in 90 deg. weather?....
I don't know about the variable as far as 90degrees...All i am stating that I have seen from driving around these temps 29-32degrees, my temps were always 240ish from sprited drives and cruises before i installed the CAI and my modified snorkel...I drove the car about hour and half today and the temps never moved past 220..Maybe its not my snorkel and the CAI, but I wanted to let people know what I observed...I am sorry that I am not the GEARHEAD of e90post or assume that I know everything like someone, but I thought i would shoot the breeze with fellow members who are enthusiast...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:04 PM   #8
down4it
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

My question to the OP is why did you cut the snorkel? I simply removed it and now the air coming in from the kidneys shoots right onto the oil lines and the oil filter...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep
Drives: '08 335i cabrio

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Dude why are u always doubting what people say, why because it wasn't you that thought of this...Yeah you know alot of shit, but always banter people on things that people are experimenting with...How is your mutilation of a perfect UR cai doing?? I have never heard of someone buying a 500 CAi that everyone knows it works perfect, but you want to mutilate it and make a heat shield...If you want to sigh about something, look in the mirror!!!!
jeeez, and i thought i had a temper.

cn555ic, i see that you expanded on the idea we discussed.
so did u seal the curved part of the snorkel, and then cut out the back of the snorkel so the fresh air goes right back? also did you put some sort of screen/filter in so not large pieces of cra*p will go thru the new snorkel and bang around the engine bay??

btw, if this works, and depending on the price, why don't u go all the way and get the RPI air scoops?? that should help even more. my initial idea was to add these scoops to your modified snorkel.

o-cha i do not know if this helps cool the engine, but common sense wise, i think it might...what do you think??
decreasing under the hood engine temps should be a good benifit since our cars run so hot no?
btw, for the sake of forum harmony, try to be nice if u do not like it :-)

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:09 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I mean think about it, people have vented hoods to keep the engine cool, RIght now my modified snorkel is venting the stagnant hot air inside the engine...There has to be some benefits..Without that piece installed, the air from the kidneys hit the oil filter assembly directly! Now its dispersed into the engine bay! Heck it probable doesn't work anyway!! Just wanted to see what u guys think, is it the CAI making my oil temps lower??
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:12 PM   #11
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
My question to the OP is why did you cut the snorkel? I simply removed it and now the air coming in from the kidneys shoots right onto the oil lines and the oil filter...
Thats what i am saying with the hood down there is less likely of the chance for the air to get directly to the engine bay...Right now with the hood down the air hits the oil filter assembly and reflects outwards towards the headlight assembly, i would think...
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:14 PM   #12
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by midlife View Post
jeeez, and i thought i had a temper.

cn555ic, i see that you expanded on the idea we discussed.
so did u seal the curved part of the snorkel, and then cut out the back of the snorkel so the fresh air goes right back? also did you put some sort of screen/filter in so not large pieces of cra*p will go thru the new snorkel and bang around the engine bay??

o-cha i do not know if this helps cool the engine, but common sense wise, i think it might...what do you think?? try to be nice if u do not like it

btw, if this works, why don't u go all the way and get the RPI air scoops??
that was my initial idea to add to the modified snorkel.

thanks
Yes there is a screen there that I betalink...Its pretty secure and used to prevent dirt and rocks, leaves whatever comes through there to be screened!! Hey guys I am not a expert as far as wind testing and stuff, but all I am saying from driving the last two days, my oil temps aren't going past 220..
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #13
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
is it the CAI making my oil temps lower??
I think you haven't been driving as hard or had a cold front recently.
      02-28-2008, 08:16 PM   #14
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Can it be the Cold air intake creating lower oil temps?? Anyone
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:17 PM   #15
O-cha
Brigadier General
Rep

No.

(You did say anyone)
      02-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #16
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by down4it View Post
his original idea was he did not like the look of the large, empty space that was left from removing the snorkel. he then expanded on that idea to use the "ram air" affect of the snorkel to cool the engine bay.

i could be wrong, but isn't using the snorkel piece going to get more air into the engine bay than without the snorkel?

i for one, would like to keep my engine as cool as possible at all times.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:21 PM   #17
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

I am trying to say that my driving habits are the same before and after the intake and snorkel...I haven't changed how I drive, in fact I even did more WOT this time after getting off the highway to see if the temps would go up dramaticaly and the needle still didn't move, maybe a drop but not much!!! Maybe its my oil guage that broken!! I am going to take it in tommorrow for a faulty oil guage!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #18
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by O-cha View Post
No.

(You did say anyone)
You are definately a funny bastard!!! I can hate you one minute and then like you the next...You remind me of my friends!!!! Its all good though!!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:27 PM   #19
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thats what i am saying with the hood down there is less likely of the chance for the air to get directly to the engine bay...Right now with the hood down the air hits the oil filter assembly and reflects outwards towards the headlight assembly, i would think...
The air would push through and around the oil filter assembly into the engine bay. Air doesnt reflect.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(e90post.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:29 PM   #20
Mattscott
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am trying to say that my driving habits are the same before and after the intake and snorkel...I haven't changed how I drive, in fact I even did more WOT this time after getting off the highway to see if the temps would go up dramaticaly and the needle still didn't move, maybe a drop but not much!!! Maybe its my oil guage that broken!! I am going to take it in tommorrow for a faulty oil guage!!!!!!!
Then it would be the cold front theory.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #21
midlife
ocasionally in crisis
Rep

Quote:
you are too funny, i do not think your oil gauge is broken

maybe you are on to something, i do not know. wish you could have tested oil temps after your cai first, then test your oil temps with your modified snorkel. that is why forums are great, people will debate this thing until eventually (and hopefully) some general concensus will form.

btw, taking out the snorkel and testing, then putting it back should not be too difficult. go for it!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:32 PM   #22
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattscott View Post
The air would push through and around the oil filter assembly into the engine bay. Air doesnt reflect.
What do you mean air doesn't reflect of course it does....Remember the hood is down...once it hits the oil filter assembly , some of it goes up, down left , and some right...it disperses a little here and there...WIth my setup its funnel directly into the engine bay...Do you smoke.. well if you do blow some smoke into a wall and see where all the white smoke goes..it deflects more to left and right because the hood is down!! Again this is my opinion and I am not a expert in air flow engineering!! But i am thinking out loud!
Appreciate 0