Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Hub Centric rings - any use?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #1
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Hub Centric rings - any use?

Forgive me since this is not strictly about e9x, but I've been on this forum a while and found there are some knowledgable people around.

My basic question, are hub centric rings needed for non OEM rims which are lug centric? I understand they are used to centre the wheel while attaching, but once the wheel is on and the lugs tightened is there any need for them?

Reason for asking (long so you don't need to bother reading if you don't want to). My wife was involved in a car accident the other day and initially the dealer said the car was fine and driveable other than the cracked bumper, so she could drive it until the parts were in to fix it. The next day she complained the brakes weren't working properly so I took it out and tried them out from a slow speed (20 to 30 kmh). Indeed the car braked fine initially, but when you were about to stop the brakes seemed to let up and you would travel an extra 10 feet or so from where you expected to stop.

We took the car back to the dealer and they said there were 2 problems, the first being the frame has shifted so it needs to be straightened out, and the 2nd that there is a 4mm gap between the hub of the car and the wheel and we should of course by a winter package from them.

The first is as a result of the accident, but is the 4mm gap between the wheel and the rim really an issue? As I said above I understand the main purpose of the ring is to make sure the rim is centred when attaching, but if this is done correctly without the ring does it matter? The guy at the dealer is telling me if I hit a pothole hard then it could start to shear the bolts holding the wheel on! I bought the rims at a local shop who also fitted them, I just wanted to get some more info if I decide to go and talk to them about the issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 04:49 PM   #2
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

Didn't get any with my 19" Movens and have no issues
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 09:07 PM   #3
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

It is absolutly imperitive that the centre of the wheel fits snug on the hub so if you have any play whatsoever you will need hub centric rings. You only have to be out by 1mm and the car will vibrate. You cannot centre your wheels just by using the 5 lugs. Any good quality aftermarket wheel that has been designed for your car wont need any hub centric rings (ie - Velocity V714 / 715) however the more generic wheels will.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 09:42 PM   #4
GMWNashville
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 G05, 16 F80, 10 E70x5D

yea...i always suggest when buying aftermarket wheels that people use hubcentric rings with BMWs or really most german manufac. who use the hubcentric wheels...there is a bit of play when using just the lugs to align the wheels..ive had alot of issues with the guys with 7 series spending an insane amount of cash on wheels and tires only to have them not use hubcentric rings and have a horrible ride due to not only the size and weight of the rim but the fact that they dont use hubcentric rings...
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 06:43 AM   #5
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

ok, cheers for the answers, I'll go out and find some for the car then.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
TheAcAvenger
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 R35 GTR / 2007 E92 335i

My wheels came with them but I didn't end up needing them
2018 R35 GT-R Cicio800 | 2007 E92 335i - RB Turbos, TC Kline DA Coils, HPA M3 Suspension, Quaife LSD, Stoptech BBK, JB4, FuelIT, AR Downpipes, RDSport Quads, Stett OC, Helix IC, Volk TE-37, Vorsteiner V-35, OSS Headlights | Retired - 2015 F82 M4
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2008, 02:28 AM   #7
Bimmerboy87
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i

Sometimes you need them sometimes you dont. BMW is hubcentric.
Appreciate 0