BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) automatic transmission in manual mode

01-23-2016, 02:23 PM   #1
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

automatic transmission in manual mode

How often do you use manual shifting mode?

Sometimes I just use it when bored with automatic on open roads because I drove manual in my old 1 series.

And I used manual shifting when going down the curved road downhill, about 10km down the mountain where I used engine for breaking together with breaks for sporty downhill ride.

But automatic D mode in new X1 is a fantasy!
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 05:40 PM   #2
sealight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

Do you have shift paddles? Any special care before using them? Do you ease the foot from the gas pedal or there's no need?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #3
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly
How often do you use manual shifting mode?

Sometimes I just use it when bored with automatic on open roads because I drove manual in my old 1 series.

And I used manual shifting when going down the curved road downhill, about 10km down the mountain where I used engine for breaking together with breaks for sporty downhill ride.

But automatic D mode in new X1 is a fantasy!
I have used the manual mode when driving on curvy country roads so that I can control when to downshift and when to upshift.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 03:00 AM   #4
Wisly
Private
Croatia
Rep
Drives: X1 18d

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealight View Post
Do you have shift paddles? Any special care before using them? Do you ease the foot from the gas pedal or there's no need?
No I dont have shift paddles, I manual shift with gear knob. Someone who has shift paddles could write few words how they operate.
There is no need to ease the gas pedal when shifting although I think that transmission would be gratefull if you ease the foot while shifting.

Has anyone noticed does x1 anytime switch automaticaly between comfort and sport mode according to driving style? I always switch by myself. I tried to drive it to the max in comfort mode but it didnt switch to sport atomaticaly.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 04:04 PM   #5
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:

The shift paddles can be used anytime.
In 'Normal' gear shift position the Auto will resume D after about 10 seconds or when it detects the need.
The Paddles work best when the 'Sport' mode is selected, and the gear lever moved over to the manual position. This allows you to hold it in the gear selected. If you try to over rev, the Auto will take over.

In the Xdrive the paddles are useful if you are using the vehicle's off road capabilities, as you can hold it in a gear and also operate the shift whilst keeping your hands on the wheel.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisly
Has anyone noticed does x1 anytime switch automaticaly between comfort and sport mode according to driving style? I always switch by myself. I tried to drive it to the max in comfort mode but it didnt switch to sport atomaticaly.
You have to switch the driving mode yourself. BMW's system doesn't detect your driving style automatically.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 04:38 AM   #7
sealight
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Lexus

I have another newbie question regarding the gear box:

I'm used to have a button for "P"ark and I can go directly from P/N to "D"rive.
With this gearbox handle we have P-R-N-D vertically aligned. This means you have to move 3 positions to get from P to D and vice versa, right?

Or you switch off the car on N and only use P for parking on unleveled ground?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 05:38 AM   #8
AusF20/F48
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F20 125i MS, F48 XD25i

Quote:
I have another newbie question regarding the gear box:

I'm used to have a button for "P"ark and I can go directly from P/N to "D"rive.
With this gearbox handle we have P-R-N-D vertically aligned. This means you have to move 3 positions to get from P to D and vice versa, right?

Or you switch off the car on N and only use P for parking on unleveled ground?

Yes, it is a straight PRND shift with sideways movement for the manual operation.
I have to stop and think about it when I go from the 125i M Sport to the X1 Xdrive 25i.
The 1er has the Push to Park button, whereas the X1 has the more conventional straight shifter.

Whilst I love the look of the shifter in the 1er, it could be a fiddle sometimes going from P to R to D.
I still sometimes forget to hold the button 'in' on the side when shifting it and then wonder why the gear did not engaged - It is only a momentary thing-.
In some respects I am now preferring the ease of the straight squeeze the trigger, pull and push. Old fashioned but effective.
The bigger issue for me is going from the hand brake lever in the 1er to that Up/Down lever button on the X1.
Having said that, even though they have their own operating characteristics, both are very good to drive as both of mine have paddles for the 'fun' driving.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0