THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB 235 Maintenance

01-22-2016, 01:52 PM   #1
Ferdelious
Rep
Drives: Cadillac ATS

235 Maintenance

This is my first post here but I've been following the forum for about a year. BMW sparked my interst after driving my brother's 135. He had tuned it with software and downpipe and it was an incredible driving experience. My cars have always been either Cadillac's or Mercedes and now the lease is up on my ATS. I found a great deal on a lease swap of a 235 near me but after reading the fine print I realized that the maintenance program does not transfer to a 2nd buyer or lessee. Personally I think that is absurd but it is what it is.

So here are my questions: What are the costs involved for the maintenance on the first 30k miles? Does it have to be performed at a BMW certified location?

I'm trying to make sure I budget the car right. I would rather not get stuck with a couple thousand dollars in maintenance defeating the purpose of me getting this incentivized lease deal.

A little more info on the car:

2015 235i
Black Sapphire w/ Terra Dakota
Driver Assistance Package
Premium Package
Technology Package
harman/kardon Premium System
2,000 Miles currently
$533 a month for 31 remaining payments
Lease end buyout is 31,700

It's a great deal in my opinion and don't to pass it up.
Appreciate 1
      01-22-2016, 02:13 PM   #2
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

No independent mechanic, will void your warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
tbonez3858
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I did not know this...If I understand you correctly it means that if I have the brakes change or the oil changed at an Indy shop it voids the warranty. Is that accurate? If so that really stinks for someone who wants to extend the warranty but not the maintenance plan. I dont mind ponying up for the extended warranty but Im not paying BMWs nutty rates for maintenance, however.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 02:34 PM   #4
neilr_
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i Phytonic Blue

Quote:
Are you certain about this? I thought there was a federal act that applied here (Magnuson-Moss?). It essentially says that the manufacturer can't void the entire warranty simply because the car was repaired at a non-manufacturer facility. Any damage caused by the repair, as well as the repair itself, wouldn't be covered by the original warranty, but the rest of the car should be.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 02:44 PM   #5
tbonez3858
Private
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr_ View Post
Are you certain about this? I thought there was a federal act that applied here (Magnuson-Moss?). It essentially says that the manufacturer can't void the entire warranty simply because the car was repaired at a non-manufacturer facility. Any damage caused by the repair, as well as the repair itself, wouldn't be covered by the original warranty, but the rest of the car should be.

I sure hope its wrong because my local dealerships cost are insane...

What was BMWs big push "The end of free doesnt mean the beginning of expensive". That message didnt sink in at my local BMW dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 02:53 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilr_
Quote:
Could be, but good luck fighting with them about who caused what. For the time you'll have the lease you're talking a few oil changes at $200 per, max. Really not worth the aggravation. That said I don't think it applies to consumables, which brake pads oil change etc is what we are talking here. That you should be able to have anyone do. Just save your paperwork.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 05:37 PM   #7
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Independent Mechanic will not void your warranty, at least in the US, there are laws against that sort of practice. But you have to use genuine parts in this case etc.

However... I know the maintenance program doesn't swap but you could potentially pay for the purchase of one. If you put a decent amount of mileage on the car, I think it can be worthwhile to get it.

A decent benchmark is if you will hit 100k miles before the 6 years are up (or close to it) its worth it to get the maintenance.

If you drive less than 10k a year, then probably just go to independent mechanics.
      01-26-2016, 01:53 AM   #8
doccyber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: %D0%97%D0%B0%D1%81%D1%82%D0%B0

Enjoy the car. The maintenance costs should not be a lot but once things go bad be prepared to pay. This was my experience with my past Bimmers. All ran fine up to 60/65 k miles but once the free service and warranty ended, things started to break down and the cost of repairs was very sobering.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #9
NEUE02
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i

The Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act, enacted in 1975 protects the consumer from, among other things, being required to use Warrantor (BMW in this case) parts in the repair or maintenance of a product. If a product fails because of these parts it is the responsibility of the Warrantor to show that part caused the failure. Full copies of the MMWA are online. Or ask any lawyer. This legislation has been utilized MANY times.

In other words, you can change your own oil or do ANY maintenance on the car yourself. Or pay someone to do it. If the car blows up because you are an idiot and put canola oil in it or forget to put the drain plug back in then BMW needs to prove this was the case. And if your stupid, they will. But if you choose parts or maintenance items that meet minimum requirements (this is stated in your owners maintenance manual) then you are fine. Save your receipts. Make a maintenance record book. Or fill in the BMW one in your glovebox.

Also, look at the "required" maintenance levels and what BMW covers for free in the first four years (or in the case of the OP, what he is NOT getting because of transfer of title) In reality it's very little indeed. And the service intervals are extremely long. It won't break the bank. It's nice, and convenient, but not huge. That's why BMW can offer it.

If the OP were losing a WARRANTY it would be a bad deal. But that is transferable. But losing "limited free maintenance" would not be a deal killer for me, that's for certain.

In fact, MY maintenance schedule is at least double that of BMW suggested maintenance. My first oil change, done in my garage, was at 1000 miles. And I guarantee you ALL the other items will be done sooner.

Here is the maintenance book that you should find in your glove box.
http://cache.bmwusa.com/pdf_ac920152...4-84c8c4085489

My opinion, GET THE CAR!

01-26-2016, 09:30 AM   #10
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
I thought the change in maintenance warrantee started with '17 model yr.......
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:59 AM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryB View Post
I thought the change in maintenance warrantee started with '17 model yr.......
2014 models are the only ones with transferable maintenance.

For the first 30k all you are looking at is oil changes and possibly a brake flush. I would guess it would not exceed $500.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 11:15 AM   #12
jaboyd
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i black/black

Maintenance post 7-1-14 orig purchase dtd is not transferable per my dealer.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 06:04 PM   #13
BarryB
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 30Jahre M5 plus a few more M's

Garage List
Thx
I guess the major change in '17 is that brakes (pads), clutch and wiper blades no longer covered under maint
60 Impala (43k orig mi)
15 Turbo S (Kobb tune and Kline exhaust)
Appreciate 0