BMW
X1 / X2
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW X1 (F48) and X2 (F39) Forums General BMW X1 Forum (F48) questions on x1 from a potential future owner

01-21-2016, 06:56 AM   #1
Laurent T
Rep
Drives: Not a BMW unfortunately

questions on x1 from a potential future owner

Potential future owner of X1 1.8D, I have a few questions :
- how is the ride with 18in wheels ?
- shiny black plastic inserts : looks nice but appears fragile from various comments on BMW or other car makers : reality or fiction ?
- HUD : do you get speed limit information even if you don't get the safety pack or advance safety pack ?
- standard interior of the X-Line (mix cloth + leather) : somebody has this configuration and could share real life pictures ? Opinion on it ?
Thank you in advance for your answers.

Last edited by Laurent T; 01-21-2016 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: spelling errors (auto corrections from smartphone)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 07:18 AM   #2
Vogit
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive 20D xLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurent T View Post
- shiny black plastic inserts : looks nice but appears fragile from various comments on BMW or other car makers : reality or fiction ?
- HUD : do you get speed limit information even if you don't get the safety pack or advance safety pack ?
- standard interior of the X-Line (mix cloth + leather) : somebody has this configuration and could share real life pictures ? Opinion on it ?
Ride with 18" wheels (Non-runflat tyres) is not at all bad, except potholes sometimes catch it out, resulting in a jolt and loud crash.

Don't know about HUD (Haven't got this, although wish I had paid the extra!), but you can get speed limit info in the instrument cluster anyway.

X-Line doesn't have any cloth (In the UK at least) - just leather & plastic. Here's a link to pics of mine (Standard X-Line apart from wood trim)

http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...&postcount=142
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 08:15 AM   #3
Laurent T
Rep

Thank you for this first feedback. Here is a picture of the base interior of the Xline (not full leather) from German configurator, which seems to also be the same in France. That's the one I would like to see "for real" if possible.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:32 AM   #4
alex4nder
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 F48

I have seen it in a car at my dealership. It is more or less the same as seen in the photo of the configurator except the fact that the colour of the cloth seems a bit on the grey side rather than a coal-dark colour.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F48 Alpinweiss

Welcome

- I drive 19" and they are still comfortable
- shiny black plastic inserts : the only annoying thing is they attrect dust
- HUD : do you get speed limit information: Yes, i don't have a safety pack of something else (only the HUD with High exec.
- Leather:

Go to www.mobile.de

search for x1 from 2016 and select teilleder (first click on mehr) on the left side.

U will find lots of pictures with X1's with this combo

for an example:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...&pageNumber=1#
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 10:23 AM   #6
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 xDrive 20i xLine

Quote:
- Ride on 18": I have the standard 18" with RFT + Dynamic Damper Control. It's a soft ride in Comfort and Eco Pro. But it becomes a little crashy in Sport mode. If you're ordering regular tyres, it will be quieter and softer, naturally. I've commented on the ride in a couple of my posts here: http://f48.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1187939
Other owners have also posted reviews with all sorts of different option combinations (18", 19", RFT, regular tyres, DDC, no DDC). Search the forums. You'll find them.

- Black plastic trim: I'm assuming it's the same material as the trim around my radio, A/C, etc. If that's the case, it attracts finger prints and dust like any other shiny black plastic. Nothing out of ordinary. It's definitely not tacky brittle plastic, if that's what you're worried about. I have the matt oak trim on the dash. It's a must have if you're buying an xLine.

- HUD: Short answer is YES. Long answer, if you have any of the two camera based driving assist packs, it shows you the last speed sign it's read on the street, motorway, etc. If you don't have any of the driving assists packs, it shows you whatever data that is available in your satnav. Both systems have their pros and cons. Camera based one sometimes gets confused in the city with multiple signs posted around (although very rarely). SatNav based system could provide you with outdated info. But yes, you'll get what you're asking for with or without Driving Assist.

- xLine interior: Not sure about France. But UK xLine comes with regular leather seats as standard (cloth is not available). Sport gets cloth sport seats. M Sport gets cloth/Alacantra sport seats. SE gets regular cloth seats. xLine configurator shows cloth. But that's just a bug. You can upgrade to leather in Sport/M Sport/SE. But you can't downgrade to cloth in xLine. See Remmm's link above. I think it's exactly what you're looking for (cloth/leather seats + black plastic trim; looks quite nice actually. Much better than all cloth seats). I haven't seen any of the members with this combo yet. So I'm afraid you'll have to wait a little for owner feedback!

Last edited by KPD; 01-21-2016 at 11:38 AM.. Reason: Eye kan't type
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:19 AM   #7
Les Paul
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1 2.0D Xline Auto

Hi I have 18" runflats and standard suspension and I think the ride and handling is fine (the steering is superb) and that is on UK roads which are not too smooth !
I drive a lot in Nortern France and the roads there are generaly much better surface ( and a lot more empty) than the UK so I am really looking forward to getting back out to France soon to enjoy the X1.
My only concern is if I get a puncture - I do not know how easy it will be to get a replacement run flat tyre in the rural area of Northern France where our house is. C'est la vie.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:41 PM   #8
Laurent T
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmm View Post
Welcome

- I drive 19" and they are still comfortable
- shiny black plastic inserts : the only annoying thing is they attrect dust
- HUD : do you get speed limit information: Yes, i don't have a safety pack of something else (only the HUD with High exec.
- Leather:

Go to www.mobile.de

search for x1 from 2016 and select teilleder (first click on mehr) on the left side.

U will find lots of pictures with X1's with this combo

for an example:

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/de...&pageNumber=1#
Thank you, that's exactly the kind of pictures I was looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
Laurent T
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPD View Post
- Black plastic trim: I'm assuming it's the same material as the trim around my radio, A/C, etc. If that's the case, it attracts finger prints and dust like any other shiny black plastic. Nothing out of ordinary. It's definitely not tacky brittle plastic, if that's what you're worried about. I have the matt oak trim on the dash. It's a must have if you're buying an xLine.
Thank you for the detailed answer. Nice to here your comment about the matt oak trim, that's the alternative I consider very serioulsy indeed. Any picture ?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 01:45 PM   #10
Laurent T
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Paul View Post
Hi I have 18" runflats and standard suspension and I think the ride and handling is fine (the steering is superb) and that is on UK roads which are not too smooth !
I drive a lot in Nortern France and the roads there are generaly much better surface ( and a lot more empty) than the UK so I am really looking forward to getting back out to France soon to enjoy the X1.
My only concern is if I get a puncture - I do not know how easy it will be to get a replacement run flat tyre in the rural area of Northern France where our house is. C'est la vie.
OK, good to hear. I will have a drive on Saturday, will build up my opinion then.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 05:06 PM   #11
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for the detailed answer. Nice to here your comment about the matt oak trim, that's the alternative I consider very serioulsy indeed. Any picture ?
I'll post some tomorrow. It's definitely worth the extra. Looks great with all the available leather colours.

BMW's own promo video also has some nice close ups of the Matt oak and black plastic trims.

Last edited by KPD; 01-21-2016 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: Linked video
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 06:42 PM   #12
LSU Tiger Wes
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X1 xDrive28i (F48)

Matte oak trim looks great in person. Especially with Mocha and Oyster interiors.
Past: 1999 328i Sedan
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:12 PM   #13
bmtespar
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 X3 30i, 18 230iX Vert

The loaner X1 I am driving while mine is in the shop has the piano black trim. It's not awful looking because it still has the metal trim but like everyone else has mentioned, shows every fingerprint and dust. I guess it's not a problem if you are good at keeping it clean.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 10:15 AM   #14
KPD
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Matt oak trim closeups (click for high resolution version):

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2016, 11:00 AM   #15
Dekboyce
Rep
Drives: X1 f48 XDrive XLine 20d

I have mat oak with oyster, love it
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 05:58 AM   #16
Laurent T
Rep

Thanks to everybody for the additional updates and the pictures. Could drive the car last Saturday. Overall positive from my side, less from my wife's who complained about the ride (18 inc. run flat, vs Citroen C4 on 16 inc. ... not really the same category but for kids and family, comfort can be more important than driver's pleasure). I don't know if going to standard instead of run flats change a lot. She also complained about the lack of "body control" (don't know how to express it correctly in English) of the seats (standard ones), looks like it will be necessary to select advanced (we tried them in a Mini, she felt better inside). I think I read several persons on this forum sharing the same point of view.
Main remaining concern besides this is the transmission : could not test the manual gearbox, but plan to go for it (too much to add for the auto). Is there any manual transmission user able to provide pros and cons ?
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 06:29 AM   #17
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Hi Lauren,

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the ride with 18", i have 19" and i still have a comfort ride?

The seats are correct, the standard are not that good, that's why i choose sport seats, you have more "body control" The only bad thing about sport seats is that it is more uncomfortable to access (when entering)

I have a manual gearbox, I don't have pro's and con's about it. I drove a Volvo v60 before and it is not better or worse. I had a test run with the automatic transmission and normally i really don't like them. But I would have chosen this one because it is very smooth, but because of tax-regulation driving manual was much cheaper for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2016, 07:20 AM   #18
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

We had a 1.8d Sdrive manual loan car for about six weeks. That was on 18 inch wheels with non runflat tyres and the ride was more than acceptable.

Both Mrs W and me both felt that we would have preferred the car with the Auto box, but having said that the manual trnasmission was ok. We have ordered an auto for our own car though.
      01-26-2016, 12:49 AM   #19
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

All I would say further about ride quality is to suggest you test drive the wheel spec / adaptive or non-adaptive versions on the roads you usually drive on. I've done this here in Australia, and the ride on 19" RFTs is unacceptable to me, given our generally poorly maintained, coarse grain sealed roads. Hence I've ordered 18" wheels and adaptive suspension, which I also test drove and found a much more acceptable ride. I'm still minded to change to non-RFTs, too, but will wait a while.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:15 AM   #20
Remmm
Private
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttimbo View Post
All I would say further about ride quality is to suggest you test drive the wheel spec / adaptive or non-adaptive versions on the roads you usually drive on. I've done this here in Australia, and the ride on 19" RFTs is unacceptable to me, given our generally poorly maintained, coarse grain sealed roads. Hence I've ordered 18" wheels and adaptive suspension, which I also test drove and found a much more acceptable ride. I'm still minded to change to non-RFTs, too, but will wait a while.
I understand, in The Netherlands we only have great quality roads. If there is a dimple in it, it will be fixed asap

Therefore 19" with non-adaptive was perfect. I test-drove the adaptive-version but i really did not like sports-mode (even with 18") Non-adaptive on sports-mode with 19" is perfect.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 03:52 AM   #21
washy
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2c/S1000RR

I must admit I am taking a bit of a gamble as I ordered Mrs W's with 19's and adaptive purely on the grounds that the wheels looked better. Given the condition of some of the roads here i could be making a mistake...
      01-26-2016, 03:56 AM   #22
ttimbo
Major
Rep
Drives: F48 X1 25i AW; F20 M135i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remmm
I understand, in The Netherlands we only have great quality roads. If there is a dimple in it, it will be fixed asap

Therefore 19" with non-adaptive was perfect. I test-drove the adaptive-version but i really did not like sports-mode (even with 18") Non-adaptive on sports-mode with 19" is perfect.
It's necessary for all those bicycles

Just on the adaptive settings, my understanding is that when this is fitted, the damping in the Comfort /Normal setting is pretty much unchanged from that of the standard (non-adaptive) suspension; it is just in Sports mode that the damping is more firm. That's how it works in my F20, so on the X1, with it's ride issues, I expect to leave the damping Comfort, although I'll be glad to use the stiffer damping when I need to press on.

My point is, I would not spec adaptive suspension if you think it will give you a better ride in the Comfort / Normal setting. Based on my F20, that is not the case.
Appreciate 0