THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) Decisions, decisions. 3M or Xpel

01-19-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Decisions, decisions. 3M or Xpel

Sorry, yet another 3M vs Xpel thread. I thought my local installer used xpel since that's what they said on their site. I called to setup the appointment and it turns out that they actually use 3M film. Supposedly because it has less orange peel or something. It explains the huge price difference and now I'm not getting the "deal" I thought I was getting.

So, here's my predicament. Local installer, using 3M, will do full front bumper, hood, fenders and mirrors for $1,200. Partial for $700. Installer 15 mins from PCD center, using xpel, will do full for $1,800 and partial for $900. It would also require me spending another night in Greenville, so there's that cost to consider.

I can't swing the $1,800 since I'm already going to exceed my set limit. So, do I go full 3M or partial xpel? Thoughts? TIA.

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:26 AM   #2
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

No one has experience with both films?

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
Zooks527
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma 4x4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
No one has experience with both films?
Look on the other site where you asked the question.

Prior 40 years: 67 BelAir wagon / 68 LeMans Tempest / 70 Mustang Mach 1 / 72 El Dorado / 78 Corvette / 81 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 83 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 85 Bronco 4x4 / 96 Bronco 4x4 / 04 Passat 4mo / 09 BMW 335xi
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 08:00 AM   #4
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Haha, thanks. I must not have turned on notifications on that festive thread. Thanks!

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 10:07 AM   #5
stealthwang
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

no experience with 3m, but i'm getting the full front done in xpel for ~$1200 CDN here in Canada. will have pictures up sooner or later.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 08:14 PM   #6
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

I think i can help you here. I did my front hood in xpel but my full Front and rear bumper is with 3m. xpel is more thick and self healing so it looks new 24/7, downside - orange peel. It can be quite obvious at certain angles under the sun or when im waxing looking at it in detail. 3m - more natural looking but easiler to mark/wear down/stain. I tend to wipe it down and give a bit a spray wax after every drive to prevent any debris from staining. The 2 series front bumper is very sharp looking, there will be edges from the computer cut which will trap dirt and lift. I assume this applies to all cars. Majority of the shops i go to still use 3m because of its price and easier to stretch (easier install.) Xpel is better for straight runs, less bends like hood or rocker panels. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2016, 08:50 PM   #7
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipes View Post
I think i can help you here. I did my front hood in xpel but my full Front and rear bumper is with 3m. xpel is more thick and self healing so it looks new 24/7, downside - orange peel. It can be quite obvious at certain angles under the sun or when im waxing looking at it in detail. 3m - more natural looking but easiler to mark/wear down/stain. I tend to wipe it down and give a bit a spray wax after every drive to prevent any debris from staining. The 2 series front bumper is very sharp looking, there will be edges from the computer cut which will trap dirt and lift. I assume this applies to all cars. Majority of the shops i go to still use 3m because of its price and easier to stretch (easier install.) Xpel is better for straight runs, less bends like hood or rocker panels. Hope this helps.
Thanks! That helps a lot. Local installer said that he uses 3M because of the orange peel issue with xpel. Honestly, I'd rather deal with that than staining. I guess I'll stick with my plan to use xpel. Regardless, it'll be nice to not have to worry about chips so much. Really, I'm hoping that it protects against those freaking love bugs that I have to deal with every summer. Their guts are a pain to deal with. It seems to bond with the paint and cause etching.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 10:04 AM   #8
stealthwang
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i Estoril Blue

from the look of my xpel install i'd say the orange peel effect is over hyped. was surprised at just how good it looked.

with a solid installer i wouldn't worry about the increased difficulty, my front bumper got a full wrap with wrapped seams and it's pretty hard to find a sign it's got wrap.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 01:15 PM   #9
eclipes
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i Msport

Bug stains in the summer are a pain especially driving on the highway

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Thanks! That helps a lot. Local installer said that he uses 3M because of the orange peel issue with xpel. Honestly, I'd rather deal with that than staining. I guess I'll stick with my plan to use xpel. Regardless, it'll be nice to not have to worry about chips so much. Really, I'm hoping that it protects against those freaking love bugs that I have to deal with every summer. Their guts are a pain to deal with. It seems to bond with the paint and cause etching.
Appreciate 0