proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - New England

01-14-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
maddog3xx8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i xDrive

Looking for Reviews on the M3 in the snow

Hey all... currently have a f30 335i xDrive... looking to upgrade and have interest in the M3 but im nervous going back to RWD due to all the snow we usually get. Had a C350 a while back and it was the worst.

do you all DD it? Snow tires? or have another car for the winter months?
      01-14-2016, 11:43 AM   #2
maddog3xx8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

should of searched first... sorry all
      01-15-2016, 06:13 PM   #3
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

In the two small storms we've had so far I've had zero issues. Completely snow covered, slush covered has been no issue. Haven't gotten stuck yet. I'm running michelin x-ice tires. The M3 is my DD so I went for a snow/ice tire.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 09:13 PM   #4
maddog3xx8
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31
In the two small storms we've had so far I've had zero issues. Completely snow covered, slush covered has been no issue. Haven't gotten stuck yet. I'm running michelin x-ice tires. The M3 is my DD so I went for a snow/ice tire.
thanks for the review... any experience with it going up small hills? during the storms?
      01-16-2016, 05:52 PM   #5
MAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

I have Michelin x-ice tires - no issues thus far with the few ice storms thus far. Has been fun....
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2016, 07:40 AM   #6
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog3xx8 View Post
thanks for the review... any experience with it going up small hills? during the storms?
Small hills have been no big threat yet. Drove to work at 545am yesterday on roads that were still pretty covered and was fine. I was going 40 in a 55 and felt perfectly safe without traffic around me. The road off my driveway up to the main road is all up hill and hitting it at speed I had no issues going up. Taking a left turn off the side street onto the main road is a little bit up hill, felt like I was half way on the throttle and the car was creeping forwards pretty slowly, maybe at 5mph at first. But I never felt it lose all grip and go backwards.

I haven't actually been out in the middle of any storms yet, and can't comment on driving in anything over 3-4 inches (mostly because we haven't seen that yet). But I don't expect to run into any issues until we see over 6 inches, at that point the car just becomes a snow plow.

I've also coded euro MDM, and drive in that mode, which is suppose to allow more slip than US MDM. I'm sure that could be helping a little.

Also the x-ice are regarded as one of the top 2 tires for driving in snow, the other being the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2. Having a winter "snow and ice" tire as opposed to a winter "performance" tire makes a big difference.
Appreciate 1
      01-19-2016, 08:54 PM   #7
BoosTonian
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 MB C63 S AMG Coupe

Garage List
Can agree that having a snow/ice tire makes a difference from a performance tire. I have Dunlop sport 3Ds (performance) and they do fine on the snow we have gotten. They have slipped a little bit on ice and even though I made it up my driveway I did get a little more wheel spin than I would have liked. But never felt unsafe.

retired: GranTurismo MC, Giulia Quadrifoglio, B8.5 RS5, Q60 RedSport, e82 135, F80, e92 M3, e90 M3, (2) e92 335, B8 S4, C209 CLK55 AMG, e46 330
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #8
kraeburn
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F80 6MT

Its been great with Hakka R2's.

I wouldn't recommend it to my mother but if you know what you are doing the only thing stopping you is the ground clearance. Ive had no trouble at all and drive up to VT every weekend to ski so it has been tested quite a bit so far.

The car handles inclimate weather very well and has been really fun. Sideways when you want it and reeled in when you don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:04 PM   #9
curvehound
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 MG/SO M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MThree_driver View Post
Can agree that having a snow/ice tire makes a difference from a performance tire. I have Dunlop sport 3Ds (performance) and they do fine on the snow we have gotten. They have slipped a little bit on ice and even though I made it up my driveway I did get a little more wheel spin than I would have liked. But never felt unsafe.
I would agree with the recommendation to go with a real snow/ice tire if this is your on DD. I had a e90 M3 with Michelin PA2 (performance winter) and got stuck several times going up even small hills when the roads were unplowed.

I got ICEX tires for my F80 and so far at least, I have had no problems (although not a much snow yet).
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2016, 08:11 PM   #10
aja9
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M3

Quote:
Hey all... currently have a f30 335i xDrive... looking to upgrade and have interest in the M3 but im nervous going back to RWD due to all the snow we usually get. Had a C350 a while back and it was the worst.

I have an M4 as my DD - lowered on KW and running Pirelli Sottozero winter tires. No complaints, and while the storms have been limited, planty of very cold, rainy and slushy days and the traction/ performance is great.

In my opinion - you get 3, maybe 4 really bad days a year. You're probably not likely to go out in a blizzard no matter what you drive. I'd choose the car based on the 360 days of the year that you can enjoy it!

Hope this helps and all the best in your decision!
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:07 PM   #11
infamousdiz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: (17 X5M)gone 2018M3CS HERE

Quote:

car is great is sottozero 3s. it has far exceeded my expectation, i will never be worried about having only rwd ever again
      03-01-2016, 01:54 AM   #12
okroger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: plugged in

The nannies will keep you sorted. That said, I was on blizzak lm32 and felt they were over-hyped. Tons of sidewall roll, unpredictable braking on cold dry asphalt, and noisier than i remember on a different setup on previous e92.

Didnt have much of a winter so ill reserve judgment until next winter season. ran imto trouble finding a rim/tire combo in late december, so at least keep inventory levels in mimd come november when shopping about
Appreciate 0