E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Lots of fun yesterday with an F15 X5

01-10-2016, 07:52 AM   #1
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white

Lots of fun yesterday with an F15 X5

Jehnert Flatline kit, PP82, MA 10 sub amp, Helix P7E compact ported enclosure holding 2 woofers. =)

We removed those silly Ghost under seats lol
Attached Images

iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 03:39 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I though the Jehnerts require no speaker adapters?

I thought the Jehnerts require no speaker adapters?
How about a comparison review on the speakers if possible.
since you were changing everything I realize this may not
be possible.

Last edited by ctuna; 01-10-2016 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 03:42 PM   #3
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

They come with the adapters. Adapters are always required. The car only had one working ghost woofer. Other woofer was defective and non-working. I did a left-right comparison between the ghost woofer and the Jehnert and the Jehnert plays deeper without breaking up.
iPhone 6 Plus (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay. Toslink out of Airport Express to Helix P-Six DSP. PHD AF 1.C tweeters, PHD FB 4.1 midranges. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 04:01 PM   #4
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep
Drives: 14 F15,18 M550,20 Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
I though the Jehnerts require no speaker adapters?
How about a comparison review on the speakers if possible.
since you were changing everything I realize this may not
be possible.
They do require them but are included, with exception to some vehicles. We could have (like many places would have) just used the included ones but then the driver would sit further back from the OE grill and a lot would be lost between the doorpanel. We did it properly to extend the driver out to meet up with the OE grill.

We did, briefly. It was a pretty decent difference as mentioned above. We did not have time to run any tracks and plot it though since this was all on the clients time and did not want to keep him waiting longer than needed.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #5
birdcatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5 35ixDrive E70

We did, briefly. It was a pretty decent difference as mentioned above. We did not have time to run any tracks and plot it though since this was all on the clients time and did not want to keep him waiting longer than needed.[/QUOTE]

(I am assuming it was a hifi system!) A few questions are arising in my mind -

1. The Jehnert 4" components are rated at 120 Watts. Considering the losses after the crossover (usually ~7% - 10%), does the PP82DSP have enough juice to power the Jehnerts? What is this concept that people keep talking about "should have enough head-room")? Does it really matter, if yes, how?

2. What is the ideal crossover point for the Jehnert 3 way kit (between the 4" components and the 8") with 55 Watts vs. the P-Six's 120 Watts?

3. What is the min. power that the XE200's need for a decent output?

4. I understand that doubling the amplifier's power only results in a +3db gain in the SPL. Considering this, do you think the price difference between a P-Six DSP and PP82DSP is justified (if one has the extra spending budget)? Or just go with the PP82 with an external 2 channel amp. (100 Watts per channel or more) for the under-seats?

I am in the market to upgrade my E70 (2013) with a F15 (CPO 2015 or newer). My E70 is extremely loaded and cannot seem to find a similarly specced F15. Hence working out the cost to upgrade the audio.

01-20-2016, 10:11 PM   #6
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdcatcher View Post
We did, briefly. It was a pretty decent difference as mentioned above. We did not have time to run any tracks and plot it though since this was all on the clients time and did not want to keep him waiting longer than needed.

(I am assuming it was a hifi system!) A few questions are arising in my mind -

1. The Jehnert 4" components are rated at 120 Watts. Considering the losses after the crossover (usually ~7% - 10%), does the PP82DSP have enough juice to power the Jehnerts? What is this concept that people keep talking about "should have enough head-room")? Does it really matter, if yes, how?

2. What is the ideal crossover point for the Jehnert 3 way kit (between the 4" components and the 8") with 55 Watts vs. the P-Six's 120 Watts?

3. What is the min. power that the XE200's need for a decent output?

4. I understand that doubling the amplifier's power only results in a +3db gain in the SPL. Considering this, do you think the price difference between a P-Six DSP and PP82DSP is justified (if one has the extra spending budget)? Or just go with the PP82 with an external 2 channel amp. (100 Watts per channel or more) for the under-seats?

I am in the market to upgrade my E70 (2013) with a F15 (CPO 2015 or newer). My E70 is extremely loaded and cannot seem to find a similarly specced F15. Hence working out the cost to upgrade the audio.

Yes, it was HiFi.

Crossovers will, generally, eat up a bit more than that. Not a ton but still more. More importantly though, music will never hit rated numbers regardless of the product. Unless jamming to a sinewave on the freeway, you won't see or use that power anyway. PP82 offers more power than needed, specifically when ran actively and especially on the top end. I don't think we have had a vehicle yet that needed anything boosted (level wise) on the top end.

Wattage will not change your crossover points. Location, staging, preferences, etc will have them vary some but the power difference holds very little relevance.

45 and up from any reputable amplifier will have them giving 'decent' output.

Justified ? Really that is in the mind of the one potentially buying it. Is it 'worth it' ? To me and many others yes but also bear in mind that it is 6 amplified channels and a bit larger than the PP82. That, added with the cost difference, may deter some.

AC Schnitzer/Eibach/M Performance/RaceChip/Compustar/Drone/BimmerTech/FireTV/Helix/Dynaudio/Micro-Precision/Jehnert/Audiomobile
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 12:04 AM   #7
birdcatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks Don, appreciate the clarification.

I initially hooked up my PP82DSP directly to the under-seat L7 woofers (I have the H&K in my E70) and unfortunately they could not keep up with the rest of the speakers. I had to hook them up through my JL 500/3 (Channel 7 & 8) to make them audible!

Are Jehnert 8" more sensitive than the OEM L7 8", hence they perform well with just 45 watts or was I doing something wrong in my initial set-up?
      01-21-2016, 12:44 AM   #8
Stream
T667YM86
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E90 325i 05'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
Jehnert Flatline kit, PP82, MA 10 sub amp, Helix P7E compact ported enclosure holding 2 woofers. =)

We removed those silly Ghost under seats lol
Is it e90 or another body? Mine looks different.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #9
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdcatcher View Post
Thanks Don, appreciate the clarification.

I initially hooked up my PP82DSP directly to the under-seat L7 woofers (I have the H&K in my E70) and unfortunately they could not keep up with the rest of the speakers. I had to hook them up through my JL 500/3 (Channel 7 & 8) to make them audible!

Are Jehnert 8" more sensitive than the OEM L7 8", hence they perform well with just 45 watts or was I doing something wrong in my initial set-up?
You might just have to attenuate the top end. Remember - higher frequency and much closer to you rather than firing into your underside. They should have been plenty audible though. Perhaps out of phase ? Or yes, it could be a deficiency of the L7 woofers, but that isn't super likely.

What did you set the crossover points at ? Did you turn on dip switches 2 and 4 ?

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2016, 11:26 PM   #10
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream View Post
Is it e90 or another body? Mine looks different.
Like the title shows, it's an F15 X5.

Appreciate 0
      01-24-2016, 07:14 PM   #11
birdcatcher
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe View Post
You might just have to attenuate the top end. Remember - higher frequency and much closer to you rather than firing into your underside. They should have been plenty audible though. Perhaps out of phase ? Or yes, it could be a deficiency of the L7 woofers, but that isn't super likely.

What did you set the crossover points at ? Did you turn on dip switches 2 and 4 ?
Crossover points -
OEM L7 Stock speakers (all) - 180hz, -24db Slope, High Pass
Under-Seat 8" - Band-passed 50-180Hz, -24db Slope. I increased the gain on the 8" channels (in the PP82 DSP) by +2db and then +4db later without much improvement. I did not know about the switch 2 & 4 at the time hence did not mess around with them.
Morel SC 10 - Low pass 60hz, -24db Slope. Enclosure is .65 cubic feet (custom made sealed enclosure made from 0.75" MDF and fiber glass with internal bracing to avoid flexing.
I chose the 4 ohm version of the Morel as it had a lower fs as compared to the 2 ohm version. I am powering it with a JL 500/3 which is rated at 180 watts, 4 ohms.
I was going to upgrade the JL 500/3 with the Alpine PDX-V9 however now upgrading the car instead
I also have a ID 12" DVC sub which I wanted to use originally however I did not have the space for a 1.2 cubic foot box.
(Also, i checked all phases (of all speakers) with an app on my iPhone!)
      01-30-2016, 12:06 AM   #12
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
They come with the adapters. Adapters are always required. The car only had one working ghost woofer. Other woofer was defective and non-working. I did a left-right comparison between the ghost woofer and the Jehnert and the Jehnert plays deeper without breaking up.
Are you talking about the new ghost "Subwoofer" from Bavsound?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 12:28 AM   #13
6spdcoupe
tends to get irritable
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Yes, precisely that 'woofer'.

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 06:34 AM   #14
mathematics
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots
Quote:
Yup
Appreciate 0