E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dashcam issue

01-08-2016, 05:40 AM   #1
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325 M Sport

Dashcam issue

I've been using this thread here to install my dashcam http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=Dashcam

I finished it off yesterday with the correct add a circuit cable, installed with the 5amp fuse it came with. I installed it into fuse number 7, which I believe is the PDC.

I tested it left night and when the ignition comes on, the camera starts up and records, then when ignition is off, the camera stops and turns off. All good I thought until this morning, when it no longer works. There is no power going to the camera, but the PDC still works.

Going to look at it tonight or tomorrow morning, but is there anything I've missed?

I grounded the wire to the Torx screw and the cable came with push connectors.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 11:35 AM   #2
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep

I need some help with this. I've used the hardwire kit in the link above, it should work with any dashcam. <br /><br />I have an E90 BMW and I've tapped into the park distance control fuse, which is only on with the ignition, this is the fuse others on the BMW forums have used for radar detectors <br /><br />My issue is, it works every now and again, but it's not consistent. Sometimes the camera powers up and runs, other times I have to manually switch it on and others, it powers up by me, then switches off.<br /><br />Any ideas? I've tried 2 wiring kits, thinking there might be a fault<br /><br /><br />Any other fuses to use? I don't want it on all the time, only with the ignition
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 12:51 PM   #3
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

It sounds like you may not have attached the ground wire to a good location. The ground needs to have good, solid contact with bare metal on the chassis of the car in order to function properly.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:28 PM   #4
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep

OK I'll look at that
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 01:33 PM   #5
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep

Borrowed this picture, but I've used this point
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=724758

Last edited by mrbubba; 02-02-2016 at 02:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 06:07 PM   #6
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

If it doesn't always turn on with the ignition, but will always turn on when you manually push the "on" button on the cam, that tells me that it may be an issue with the cam. If it wasn't getting power, then how could it come on when you push the on button?

Check to make sure the cam is in the right mode to automatically turn on with the ignition and you aren't inadvertently changing that mode.

Use a multimeter to make sure the cam is actually getting power. If it's not, then it's a bad connection, either hot or ground.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 09:37 PM   #7
mrbubba
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by patents View Post
If it doesn't always turn on with the ignition, but will always turn on when you manually push the "on" button on the cam, that tells me that it may be an issue with the cam. If it wasn't getting power, then how could it come on when you push the on button?

Check to make sure the cam is in the right mode to automatically turn on with the ignition and you aren't inadvertently changing that mode.

Use a multimeter to make sure the cam is actually getting power. If it's not, then it's a bad connection, either hot or ground.
The cam is OK, if I use the supplied cigarette charger, it works fine, I just have a cable in the way.

Will have another look at it over my days off and try another fuse location
Appreciate 0