GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > AUSTRALIA

01-05-2016, 08:32 PM   #1
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Comp

Dealership new car prep/detail

Hey All, Car is due to arrive 24th Jan. I have some concerns regarding the dealer wash/prep as I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to detailing and wanted to avoid having to spend hours correcting a brand new cars paint if it can be avoided.

If I request they do not touch it, is it likely the car would still have been washed between when it left Germany and arriving at the dealership or if not still require some minor correction anyway, in which case I shouldn't worry and just let them wash it provided its hand washed with clean microfibre.

On the other hand I feel a bit funny about taking delivery of a dirty car with all the exterior wrapping on it. Kind of a big moment for me with my first new M3 and seems the experience won't have that WOW factor if she aint sparkling clean wrapped in a pretty bow.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:08 PM   #2
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3, 428i, Sahara

Its been on a ship for 4-6 weeks.

Its going to need a clean.

Doesnt matter where you purchase a vehicle, they will always need paint correction.

Enjoy the moment of picking up your gleaming new toy ☺
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:11 PM   #3
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Hey All, Car is due to arrive 24th Jan. I have some concerns regarding the dealer wash/prep as I'm pretty fastidious when it comes to detailing and wanted to avoid having to spend hours correcting a brand new cars paint if it can be avoided.

If I request they do not touch it, is it likely the car would still have been washed between when it left Germany and arriving at the dealership or if not still require some minor correction anyway, in which case I shouldn't worry and just let them wash it provided its hand washed with clean microfibre.

On the other hand I feel a bit funny about taking delivery of a dirty car with all the exterior wrapping on it. Kind of a big moment for me with my first new M3 and seems the experience won't have that WOW factor if she aint sparkling clean wrapped in a pretty bow.

Thoughts?
I'm fastidious and picky too. On both BMW's I ordered I had them just take off the plastic and shipping material and not wash it. I've seen too many swirls installed by the dealers to ever let them wash the car. It will be clean enough for your celebration without a dealer wash job. Enjoy your new ride and congratulations!
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:17 PM   #4
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vonmayr View Post
I'm fastidious and picky too. On both BMW's I ordered I had them just take off the plastic and shipping material and not wash it. I've seen too many swirls installed by the dealers to ever let them wash the car. It will be clean enough for your celebration without a dealer wash job. Enjoy your new ride and congratulations!
And on both occasions you were happy and it required no correction? Some of the new cars I have seen in showrooms have plenty of marks on them. The piano black trim between the doors is a classic example that show scratches easily
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 09:20 PM   #5
vonmayr
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Garage List
Quote:
And on both occasions you were happy and it required no correction? Some of the new cars I have seen in showrooms have plenty of marks on them. The piano black trim between the doors is a classic example that show scratches easily
Both cars received correction because I was coating them.

The new car straight from the factory required very light correction.

The ED car that I drove for 1,500 miles required moderate correction - there was a sap stain on the hood from when I parked under a tree and some weird clear coat scratches on the rear passenger door like two doors had scraped coating against each other. It was only in the clear coat, though. Plus some minor user induced swirls

Oh, don't get me started on that shadowline trim between the doors. That stuff is SOOOOOO SOOOFFT.
Best Regards, Robert (BMWCCA #471893)
Loreley 2015 / //M3 6MT SO over full SO, Exec,Susp & Lighting, HK & Blk 19's - ED 15 May 2015, Redelivery 23 July 2015
My photography: WWW.PBASE.COM/VONMAYR
My ED Adventure http://www.vonmayredadventure.blogspot.com
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2016, 12:49 AM   #6
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
What colour is your new car - if it's non metallic, you might want to not let them touch it. Metallic has the clear coating and seems to withstand a bit more treatment.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 12:51 AM   #7
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au
What colour is your new car - if it's non metallic, you might want to not let them touch it. Metallic has the clear coating and seems to withstand a bit more treatment.
Yas Marina Blue
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 01:40 AM   #8
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yas Marina Blue
Best colour....... slightly biased 😉
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 04:00 AM   #9
Ghosn
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3

I have an M3 which will arrive in April. I'm not fussed if they wash it as I'll have it booked into my favourite detailer shortly after.

I'd also be showing the car off to friends and family when I pick it up, so I want it clean that day

Oh and taking photos on pickup day too.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2016, 05:14 AM   #10
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

I requested to have my car delivered with the plastic wrap still on the car without any problems. Brought the car home and did all the detailing myself which took me over 2 days. Did the Quartz coating which is the Gyeon product and the end result was absolutely amazing
Appreciate 1
X3MCRN174.50
      01-06-2016, 05:54 AM   #11
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Ozzy>
I requested to have my car delivered with the plastic wrap still on the car without any problems. Brought the car home and did all the detailing myself which took me over 2 days. Did the Quartz coating which is the Gyeon product and the end result was absolutely amazing
But did you have to do any paint correction by polishing?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 12:10 AM   #12
mmmmQuattro
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: f83 / E93 335 / E70 X5 40d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowie View Post
Best colour....... slightly biased ��
+1
I pick mine up in Melbourne tomorrow and drive it back along the coast.
Perfect weather for a convertible
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 04:19 AM   #13
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

Quote:
But did you have to do any paint correction by polishing?
Not at all, paint was in super condition, no marks or swirls, I did try to clay but there was no much point as the clay was clean as
Appreciate 1
      01-07-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
slowie
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp330Cic.au View Post
+1
I pick mine up in Melbourne tomorrow and drive it back along the coast.
Perfect weather for a convertible
Very jealous.. ☺
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2016, 09:31 AM   #15
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:

Thoughts?
They damaged the paint work (near roundel and driver door sill or rocker panel) on my car. The damage near roundel was when fitting gloss black grills but tried to sell - it happened in delivery - paint shop said its good they owned up so they were fibbing and then they clipped a heal on the sill.

I made it very clear to the GM how I felt and got them to compensate but in all honesty no money could have made it better so they ruined my joy in picking up the car.

I read all the Americans swear not to get the dealers to touch your car. Get a detailer or detail your self. I ignored it thinking, nah, Australia's different - 150k+ cars. They will be meticulous. Nope I was wrong. Never again. Get the parts fitted your self. Do everything your self or go choose the right people.

It got worse, I had the entire car paint protected. Suntek - and could not protect the parts repainted for 30 days post paint so guess what happens. Second weekend ownership - went for a drive with the lads - my mistake - ran at the end of the train in close proximity through some back roads and the small strip around the roundel not protected. Three chips, one quite noticeable (wife thinks not and that I'm mad but it pains me knowing its there). Had it protected with the chips but that's what I was avoiding with the protection. Argh. I wish I told them to leave the car as is of the ship and had it detailed by a detailer.

My first M. My first sports(ish) car and I'm anal so many distrort nights before and after pick. Over it now. Love the car but still bugs me.

Next car. Instructions. Do not look at the car. I'll back it off the truck. Here's your cheque. Later!!
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2016, 01:46 AM   #16
noshe83
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI F80 M3

Congratulations on your car mate! My car arrives on the 24th January also! The Tamerlane. How long will it take your dealer to get your car and get it ready?

I can't seem to wait any longer!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2016, 02:58 AM   #17
AC-S
Registered Member
Australia
Rep

So sorry to hear that Simpleton I learned my lesson years ago so now I insist on picking it up in as is/came from the factory and do the full detailing/parts fitting myself
Over the years I've learned that if you want something done properly just shut-up and do it yourself
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #18
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by noshe83
Congratulations on your car mate! My car arrives on the 24th January also! The Tamerlane. How long will it take your dealer to get your car and get it ready?

I can't seem to wait any longer!
Nice! Who is your dealer? Mine is Sylvania in Sydney and Ive got no idea on how long they will need yet. But I'm going to assume add 1 week to get from port to the dealer and do their checks.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 05:14 AM   #19
noshe83
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2016 LCI F80 M3

Quote:
Nice! Who is your dealer? Mine is Sylvania in Sydney and Ive got no idea on how long they will need yet. But I'm going to assume add 1 week to get from port to the dealer and do their checks.
Mine is from Col Crawford BMW in Sydney as well. Estimated delivery date is the 31st. Hopefully can pick it up before then!

Did you put on any options on your car over than what is included in the 2016 LCI model?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 05:34 AM   #20
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

No just the manual. I originally had contrast stitching but when I was told it would delay the build I cancelled it.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #21
simpelton
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by <Ozzy> View Post
So sorry to hear that Simpleton I learned my lesson years ago so now I insist on picking it up in as is/came from the factory and do the full detailing/parts fitting myself
Over the years I've learned that if you want something done properly just shut-up and do it yourself
Learnt the hard way. Won't happen again.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 09:53 PM   #22
Hazey82
Lieutenant
Rep

So I have advised my dealer that I do not want them to wash/detail the car. They checked with Service Manager and they suggested I sign a waiver form to absolve the company & BMW from any future claims that could arise from this. BMW Aust would need to be informed for both CLI & warranty purposes.

Don't think I'm prepared to do this. I'm really curious to hear their reason as to how them not washing my car invalidates my paint warranty!?!?
Appreciate 0