THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes Eibach Anti-Roll kit E40-20-031-01-11

01-04-2016, 09:14 AM   #1
moldcad
Major
Poland
Rep
Drives: M235i

Eibach Anti-Roll kit E40-20-031-01-11

Anyone using it? Opinions welcome...
my RWD pirate & long-distance cruiser: 2015 M235i AT8, LSD
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #2
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Link?
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2016, 08:08 PM   #3
uberspeed
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Link?
Click through from this landing page: http://eibach.com/america/en/perform...ication-lookup

Last edited by uberspeed; 01-05-2016 at 08:17 PM.. Reason: Correct link
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:03 PM   #4
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: M2C, M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by moldcad View Post
Anyone using it? Opinions welcome...
Not on my m235i but I do have experience with them. First off, their design is tubular unlike H&R which are solid. More street oriented, more comfortable, more subtle and less effect on the car's handling. H&R are definitely going to be much stiffer. Both are front adjustable while the rear is not (for m235i).

What I didn't like about them on my other car, in fact I got rid of them precisely of it, is the bushings and paint on the rear bars (for some reason it doesn't affect the front bars as much). You are supposed to use a lubricant (unlike H&R) which washes away quickly, dust and stuff are getting between the bar and the bushings, what happens next is the bushings rub against the bar and remove the paint from it, then they erode the steel of the bar itself so that it's visibly thinner where there is contact with the bushings. At this point the bar is not fixed properly anymore and there's some lateral movement in the clamps. What really gets to annoy you is the loud squeaky noise coming from the rear of the car on just about any bump or change of road surface. Drives you nuts. At this point no amount of lubricant or anything is going to cure the situation (and I had to use lube and stuff every 2 weeks or so), the only way to deal with it is to use inserts between the bar and the bushings, but that, too, negatively affects the stiffness of the construction. It takes about 3 to 4 months of regular street use to arrive at this point (it took my H&R swaybars and bushings about 2 years of aggressive driving to get similarly shot).

I don't think Eibach changed their design and construction in the past couple of years so my advice is: NO.

Last edited by x233; 01-13-2016 at 03:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2016, 11:26 AM   #5
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

I have H&R sways on my m135i c/w upgraded springs with OE adaptive dampers.

Rides very well, handles with neutral balance and corners much flatter. With Quaife LSD as well its road manners are very good all round.

Be aware that fitting stiffer rear sway bar with stock open diff will cause you traction problems. Either fit an LSD or use Eibachs, being softer than H&R's, maybe a better option.

BMW stock setup at the rear with open diff is firm springs and soft sway bar so the body roll helps with maintaining inside wheel contact with the road. If upgrading rear sway you have stiff springs and stiffer sway bar hence more chance of lifting inside rear wheel with a loss of traction.
      01-14-2016, 04:06 PM   #6
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
I have the H&R anti-roll kit on mine like BP. I have a custom LSD in the rear, which is good, because the H&R bars are very, very stiff. Like, so stiff that when I go in a driveway my car frequently becomes a three-wheeler.

Interestingly, they don't effect ride comfort much. But the car is completely flat in hard corners.
      01-14-2016, 07:04 PM   #7
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Be aware that fitting stiffer rear sway bar with stock open diff will cause you traction problems.
I wonder just how bad those problems might be.

Any opinion with actual experience of H&R or other stiff sway bars use without LSD would be most welcome. Practical question for me since I've already got the bars ready for install and I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to make a LSD work with my xDrive (what's still a mystery to me is whether M-Perf LSD is not listed for m235 xDrive because BMW don't feel there's a need for one, or because they think it somehow might interfere with other nannies, or maybe because it is not altogether technically possible to install one on xDrive).

PS: didn't mean to hijack the main topic but since this notion came up...

Last edited by x233; 01-15-2016 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2016, 05:38 AM   #8
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

X233,

Ref LSD on xdrive somethings to consider:-

1. Fact - AWD and RWD M235i share same part numbers so, physically, there is no reason why you cant put a rear LSD into an AWD car;
2. Fact - An lsd will be able to transfer torque side to side before the wheels start slipping and Xdrive will try to mimic the same by applying brakes to slow the spinning wheel and shift torque to the front of the car;
3. My view - LSD on an AWD car could maybe mimic what Audi and Subaru do with their sport diff optional settings;
4. My view - A potential issue maybe due to xDrive making more extensive use of the ESP system ( individual wheel breaking etc) in order to optimize awd traction that their RWD cars. The phasing of how and when LSD intervenes might interfere with the xdrive modus operandi.

IMHO LSD is only worthwhile if it can intervene on rear axle before the xdrive starts to re-distribute torque to the front.

BP
      01-16-2016, 09:08 PM   #9
x233
Lieutenant
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
IMHO LSD is only worthwhile if it can intervene on rear axle before the xdrive starts to re-distribute torque to the front
Because the LSD is a mechanical part it must engage and do its work (and I'm sure it does) before any of the electronics of the ESP/xDrive have a chance to kick in. ESP does its thing only in response to something, not before and not by itself.

But as a response to the LSD-modified behavior of the rear axle the ESP may, in theory, as a bad scenario, transfer more torque or braking to the front axle which may mess up the car's handling. Can't exclude that possibility until installed and tested.

Last edited by x233; 01-17-2016 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2016, 03:02 AM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by x233 View Post
Because the LSD is a mechanical part it must engage and do its work (and I'm sure it does) before any of the electronics of the ESP have a chance to kick in. ESP does its thing only in response to something, not before and not by itself.

But as a response to the LSD-modified behavior of the rear axle the ESP may, in theory, as a bad scenario, transfer more torque or braking to the front axle which may mess up the car's handling. Can't exclude that possibility until installed and tested.
Correct, someone needs to test an LSD on an drive.......

I can only voucher for the QLSD on my RWD m135i - this diff works so well the ESP is more or less redundant !
      02-12-2016, 08:09 PM   #11
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive

Link?
Appreciate 0