E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Classifieds Section > coding around the east mids

01-03-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
asha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335d coupe

coding around the east mids

Evening all ...

Just got a few questions about coding your cars and the setup your using ..
And to cut out the questions I have been lurking on the forum for weeks gathering info ect but when you think you have found something good and solid someone sticks in the 2p and contradicts them then it slightly drifts of the subject and becomes the battle of the gurus lol so I thought if I put my cards on the table people on here who's in the same boat can help thanks ...as I don't fancy the carly app

First question is..my car is a 335d se model build date 27/12/2006 so I wouldn't need the Dcan cable would I. ? I'd just need the k-line cable ? Does this sound right

Question 2 has anyone got all off the latest updated links required to install on my laptop .I have a hp notebook running Windows 10 64bit I believe if it's possible to run on this software?

Question 3..I'm far from a tech nerd but have basic computer skills ive read that's it's not that hard but I beg to differ after doing some research on the subject which make me a bit nervous in changing settings ect...so it's pretty much a shout out to all the bmw coding enthusiasts around the east Midlands who has attempted this and is confident enough to show me the ropes if they wouldn't mind of course as I think it would be easier to shown than to go into the dark alone any recommendations hints tips ect appreciated

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #2
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 LCI 320d M Sport

Hi ash, i was sort of in the same boat as you not so long back, i had used in a very basic way various bits of software on a 2005 Z4 i once had using an old k-Line cable.

When i purchased my 2010 325d i bought a new cable which has a switch for K-line or Dcan. This may be your best bet, i think Dcan came in from 2007 but i'm not 100% on that, i'm sure someone will know.
It came with a pretty easy install setup dvd with all the software. I am running it on a bootcamp version of Windows 10 64bit on my macbook and works fine, and has also been used on my brothers 2004 Z4. Link to the one i bought. Ebay Link

As for working out how to use the software i've spent hours looking on this forum and others and whilst theres lots of great DIY guides theres also many times that advice is given with the assumption that everyone is a whiz. Then like you say someone else chimes in contradicting peoples advice and what is also mentioned alot is how easy it is to mess up our cars so we end up back at square one through fear.

Anyway, i have so far coded a fair amount of stuff, Folding mirrors, removed euro city lights (adaptive headlight mode under 30mph), digital speedo.
I have also had the pleasure of having to reset a short circuit counter in my FRM module due to a short in the wiring in the boot lid, and when my new adaptive headlight module arrives i will be doing the same to that too.

Bit of a long post but what i'm getting at is i'm not a million miles away from you so maybe once you have a cable and working software i can share what i have learned.
- Gloss Black Kidney Grills, Spoiler, Rear Diffuser, Front Lip
- Lowered on Eibach Pro Springs
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 10:54 AM   #3
asha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the reply ..finally got my finger out and purchased the cable you suggested as I'm Sure I need the k -line..just a quick question
Upon opening the parcel there's 2 dvds withing the packet dvd 1 and dvd 2 did you have this problem at all
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:09 AM   #4
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes 2x DVDs, they both have different software on. I only installed DVD 1 and that gave me INPA and NCS Expert.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 11:14 AM   #5
B3NPM
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

You will need to block an update to the FTDI driver as it will stop the cable working after install.

If you install without an Internet connection first then it will be fine and then just google how to block driver updates for whichever version of Windows you have. If you create a restore point after the install that would be useful incase the driver updates before you block it.

If you never want to connect that laptop to the net then don't worry about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 12:19 PM   #6
deepsrd
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i LCI

Guys, this is a classifieds thread..

Anything technical, it would be better answered in the Technical section..

btw: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192
Its a breeze to setup the tools..

In Progress:
Surround View Retrofit 8TH
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:06 PM   #7
asha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Okidokes i may just need disk one aswell then as I only want to run diagnostics and coding..but what is on the other disk have you had a look? I'm running Windows 10 64bit so I would need to go into settings and block updates is that correct..but you lost me with a restore point lmaoo I thought I was confident with computers but now you have put me on the spot haa...it is my personal laptop so would need the Internet connection for the missis lol...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2016, 02:08 PM   #8
asha
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepsrd View Post
Guys, this is a classifieds thread..

Anything technical, it would be better answered in the Technical section..

btw: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1204192
Its a breeze to setup the tools..
I understand and didn't do it on purpose I posted in the technical section and all of a sudden I also had a post in the classifieds too but it's not in my user cpu. ..but the funny thing is I got a response on here and not a sniff in the technical lmaoo
Appreciate 0