E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Manual Tranny & Differential Oil change after break-in (E90Fleet around?) ?

02-01-2006, 12:40 PM   #1
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Manual Tranny & Differential Oil change after break-in (E90Fleet around?) ?

I am looking for our true tech gurus to shine here.

I am changing my engine oil once my break-in is done (only about 750km left) and I was thinking about doing the manual transmission oil and the differential oil as well.

Any downsides to doing the manual transmission oil, other than cost?

Any downsides to doing differential oil? I have heard that completely bleeding the differential in the E90 is not a good idea due to its design... is this true?

Any other thoughts? I think it is cheap insurance and I am trying to get good, researched/proven thoughts from this forum.

Last edited by epiphone3; 02-01-2006 at 03:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2006, 06:41 PM   #2
Chesmu
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X6

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
e90fleet's busy drivin' his new car!
      02-01-2006, 07:05 PM   #3
HRC
MAUI BUILT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i MT

Garage List
2002 E46 325i  [0.00]
2012 E70 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphone3
I am looking for our true tech gurus to shine here.

I am changing my engine oil once my break-in is done (only about 750km left) and I was thinking about doing the manual transmission oil and the differential oil as well.

Any downsides to doing the manual transmission oil, other than cost?

Any downsides to doing differential oil? I have heard that completely bleeding the differential in the E90 is not a good idea due to its design... is this true?

Any other thoughts? I think it is cheap insurance and I am trying to get good, researched/proven thoughts from this forum.

So far, as far as I know, noone from this forum has had the differential & tranny changed. I was tempted, but there are many many threads here that talks about BMW's new "lifetime fill" for both the tranny and diff.

Basically, I don't think there is any harm in changing them both out as long as you replace with the same OEM fluid or better. Some posts here have stated that the dealer won't do this service even if you try to pay them, unlike engine oil, but I could be wrong. So you can either try your dealer, DIY, or take it to a independant shop.

Danny
Arctic/Blk Leather/Alum.Trim/MT/ZSP/Sunshades/Blk Lines/M3 Illuminated Knob/Alcantara Performance Wheel/M-E-Brake Handle/Euro Fog Switch/Koni Yellows/H&R Sport Springs/19" VMR V718's w/PS2 Tires/M-Tech Body Kit/Carbon Fiber Spoiler/Bimmian Interior Bulbs/OEM Eye Glass Tray/SSK/Alcantara Boot/Split Armrest/OEM Dual Rear Power Outlets/Rear Ashtray Delete/OEM Alum. Pedals/Osram 6000K/Brex Rings/LED Side Markers/BMS Power Box
Appreciate 0