F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Opal Merino Individual Leather Question...
ARMA SPEED

12-26-2015, 07:24 AM   #1
Tanzanite335d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Individual 335d

Opal Merino Individual Leather Question...

Hi Guys/Gals,

I'm new to this forum but had a few BMWs in my time to know enough about them. I have just bought a 335xd with Opal Merino Leather. It's done 1600 miles now and it doesn't really seem to wear well in my opinion. It stains really easily and can see it wearing out already! I don't know whether it's because I'm a bit of a perfectionist/clean freak or the fact that the quality isn't that great. I think give it about 10k on it and it'll look like it's done 70-80k.

It has been SupaGuarded (Yes I've heard of the all the press but the dealer threw it in as part of the deal).

Does anyone else have it and what's your experiences? also any tips on how to keep it looking plush?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 07:51 AM   #2
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: 730d

With merino leather you have to accept that it's soft and therefore be careful with rivets/seams from your jeans when getting in and out.

To clean it use a clean soft shoe brush and a decent leather cleaner, wipes won't get the dirt and dye transfer out, scrub it well and lift off the excess with a damp cloth.

The surface is painted as are all leathers in a modern car so it will stand up to wear and won't absorb oils like an aniline leather will, but just like wax doesn't stop your car getting dirty neither will barrier treatments to leather, they help make it easier to clean though.
      12-26-2015, 07:53 AM   #3
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Get some of this one the,.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interi...prod_1093.html

Make sure you give them a really good clean first.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interi.../prod_333.html

Then any marks clean with Dr Leather wipes or Gtechiq cleaner.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 07:57 AM   #4
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Great video showing how to clean nappa/merino leather:

12-26-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
DarCol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP / Cayman (981) S

I also have it. Had it treated with G Quartz if my memory serves me correctly. Cars done 3.5k now and you're right it doesn't wear well. I'm super fussy with what I wear in the car and clean it regularly. It's looks great but is a pain the the ass!! I find belts are the worst culprit for dye transfer to the bottom of the seat!!!! Not sure it's looks warrant the endless task of looking after it!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:01 AM   #6
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Also check out I2 Triclean by Gtechniq, really good stuff.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:08 AM   #7
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brigand View Post
Get some of this one the,.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interi...prod_1093.html

Make sure you give them a really good clean first.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/interi.../prod_333.html

Then any marks clean with Dr Leather wipes or Gtechiq cleaner.
100% agree with the L1. Mine looks like new after 20k apart from a rivit mark on the passenger seat. Use Dr Leather every 2 or 3 months to keep it clean. Dark blue jeans will stain it but it comes off OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:38 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

This makes me glad I didn't order individual leather!!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 08:48 AM   #9
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
This makes me glad I didn't order individual leather!!
This. With the miles I do I'd be a nervous wreck worrying about it wearing out too soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:08 AM   #10
DarCol
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP / Cayman (981) S

I don't think it will wear out, just looks grubby easier than just about any other colour.
It's like a few of the birds I've had...........High Bloody Maintenance.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #11
Tanzanite335d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer View Post
I also have it. Had it treated with G Quartz if my memory serves me correctly. Cars done 3.5k now and you're right it doesn't wear well. I'm super fussy with what I wear in the car and clean it regularly. It's looks great but is a pain the the ass!! I find belts are the worst culprit for dye transfer to the bottom of the seat!!!! Not sure it's looks warrant the endless task of looking after it!!!
That's what I'm thinking it's already going a bit yellow after all the cleaning. It does look amazing though when clean. What's bmw warranty stance on worn leather? Or colour change etc?

Thanks for the cleaning tips guys. I'm using Dodo Juice supernatural leather cleaner. I think it's a decent product but don't know how it compares to the others. Worked a treat on some black shiny Dakota leather on my old 335i!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 10:03 AM   #12
Tanzanite335d
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazzer View Post
I don't think it will wear out, just looks grubby easier than just about any other colour.
It's like a few of the birds I've had...........High Bloody Maintenance.
High maintenance indeed! Haha. I think the cigar brown leather wouldve still looked the part but been easier to maintain etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:20 PM   #13
M8 JTD
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d & 718 GTS

I also have full Ind Opal White Merino seats + Ind Merino dash (also GardX’d by my dealer) and I can’t recommend Dr Leather Dye Block and Wipes/cleaner enough – fantastic products

The day after I collected mine I spent the afternoon giving it a good going over with the wipes (not that it was dirty) to ensure it was absolutely spotless before applying a couple of coats of Dr Leather Dye Block, allowing several hours between each to dry + a final coat on the driver’s seat just before I went to bed - allowing it to cure overnight as recommended.

According to DR Leather the Dye Block lasts 6 months at a very minimum before the need for re-application.

I am so impressed with the results – Every 2-3 weeks I give the front seats (I don't have kids so the back seats are very rarely used) a quick clean with the cleaner (same solution as impregnated into the wipes) and wipes to remove any surface dirt/marks and they are back to collection day immaculate white! – I think the key is regular cleaning with the wipes to stop the dirt building up/working it's way in.

All the best,
Joe
Previous Other: Caterham 620, Lotus Exige S, TVR Cerbera
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 06:26 PM   #14
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d JTD View Post
I also have full Ind Opal White Merino seats + Ind Merino dash (also GardX’d by my dealer) and I can’t recommend Dr Leather Dye Block and Wipes/cleaner enough – fantastic products

The day after I collected mine I spent the afternoon giving it a good going over with the wipes (not that it was dirty) to ensure it was absolutely spotless before applying a couple of coats of Dr Leather Dye Block, allowing several hours between each to dry + a final coat on the driver’s seat just before I went to bed - allowing it to cure overnight as recommended.

According to DR Leather the Dye Block lasts 6 months at a very minimum before the need for re-application.

I am so impressed with the results – Every 2-3 weeks I give the front seats (I don't have kids so the back seats are very rarely used) a quick clean with the cleaner (same solution as impregnated into the wipes) and wipes to remove any surface dirt/marks and they are back to collection day immaculate white! – I think the key is regular cleaning with the wipes to stop the dirt building up/working it's way in.

All the best,
Joe
That's all well and good, but seems like a lot of effort! On my Dakota leather I literally do nothing to it bar the occasional hoover, and it looks perfect after 42k miles!
Appreciate 3
      12-26-2015, 06:39 PM   #15
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
That's all well and good, but seems like a lot of effort! On my Dakota leather I literally do nothing to it bar the occasional hoover, and it looks perfect after 42k miles!
Mmmm I am starting to agree.

I have the Cashmere Merino due in a couple of weeks and I wish I had stuck to the Black Merino. The added bonus with the black Merino would have been I could have also gone with the black leather dash too, the light dash looks too chavy imo.

Oh well next time I think I will give the spec a little more thought.
Appreciate 2
      12-27-2015, 03:42 AM   #16
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

I think it's well worth a little effort. It's more comfortable and the light colour really lifts the generally dark interior. Everyone that gets in my car comments that the interior looks great.

Just remember for those of you with darker leather- the dirt is still there and your sitting on it.

Protect it well and clean every 3 months that's it. Not exactly a lot of work.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 03:50 AM   #17
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

IMO Merino and Nappa are of course superior but you need a certain stage of life. Having 2 sporty kids and playing football in UK winters won't mix well for me with light colours either so Black Dakota suits perfectly. The Merino feels beautifully soft though, oddly I felt it was very very warm to sit in which bordered uncomfortable sometimes.
      12-27-2015, 07:15 AM   #18
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

I know exactly where you're coming from, on my previous 335d I ordered opal and within a month we knew it wasn't the best choice for us. Beautiful to look at but high maintainence.
After 6/7 months it was actually becoming a concern what condition it would be in towards the end of the pcp.
With discounts being so strong I just put it out there with a dealer, what would it cost to swap out to a fresh car with oyster? He came back with a very strong deal so I went for it, traded the individual for a couple of other options. The oyster has been worry free, just wipe clean when they get bad enough to notice.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #19
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dJa View Post
I know exactly where you're coming from, on my previous 335d I ordered opal and within a month we knew it wasn't the best choice for us. Beautiful to look at but high maintainence.
After 6/7 months it was actually becoming a concern what condition it would be in towards the end of the pcp.
With discounts being so strong I just put it out there with a dealer, what would it cost to swap out to a fresh car with oyster? He came back with a very strong deal so I went for it, traded the individual for a couple of other options. The oyster has been worry free, just wipe clean when they get bad enough to notice.
I'm really feeling like I dodged a bullet now! When I posted a thread asking about the wear rate of the Opal and no one gave worrying opinions like these!
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #20
Mark1966
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4, Lotus and Lancia

I wish they would have done the Merino in Red with a black Merino Dash, I would have bitten their hands off.

I sat in an Opal merino with matching dash and it was like a tarts boudoir. It would probably suit a girlies Z4 or 4 or 6 series convertible but think it looks out of place in anything else.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 08:10 AM   #21
335dJa
Captain
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston View Post
I'm really feeling like I dodged a bullet now! When I posted a thread asking about the wear rate of the Opal and no one gave worrying opinions like these!
I've posted similar posts a couple of times but must have missed yours, sorry. I'm sure it's great for some folk but we're not the best at the whole "car cleaning" thing.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2015, 09:24 AM   #22
Wills2
Barge driver
Ukraine
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1966 View Post
I wish they would have done the Merino in Red with a black Merino Dash, I would have bitten their hands off.

I sat in an Opal merino with matching dash and it was like a tarts boudoir. It would probably suit a girlies Z4 or 4 or 6 series convertible but think it looks out of place in anything else.
I would say that red is more redolent of a tarts boudoir than virginal white.