F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Dash Cam: Blackvue DR650GW Vs Thinkware F750
Extreme Powerhouse

12-24-2015, 06:21 AM   #1
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Cayman

Dash Cam: Blackvue DR650GW Vs Thinkware F750

Everyone is always debating which dash cam is the best. There’s a wide range of different cameras with different price ranges on the market so when I was shopping around for mine I did a bit of research on here and other forums with a lot of people recommended either the Blackvue DR650GW or the Thinkware F750. I ended up going for the Blackvue camera and was impressed. So when I needed a second camera I thought I’d give the Thinkware a try. As most people only buy one camera I thought a write up between the two would be useful to anyone looking to purchase a dash cam (Tied with the fact I have done the shopping and have nothing else to do this Xmas eve).

I should add that I only have the 1CH Thinkware F750 so can’t comment on the rear camera setup, and I’ve owned the Blackvue for about 11 months and the Thinkware for 3 months.

Blackvue DR650GW 2CH vs Thinkware F750 1CH

Build Quality, Aesthetics, Mounting

Both cameras have good build quality. The Blackvue looks more of a finished product, compared the Thinkware camera. The Thinkware looks a bit cheaper in terms of Aesthetics and Design, the plastics look cheaper and I think the colour scheme is odd but it is solidly built. Why didn’t they just make it black? I think Blackvue have put a lot of thought into their design and the mounting bracket. The Blackvue mount allows you to remove the camera at the click of a button where as the Thinkware bracket the camera slides on which can be quite fiddly. In reality though you will probably never remove the camera once it is mounted. It has been mentioned about the poor connection of the rear camera on the Blackvue camera – I haven’t had an issue with that yet but I could see it being an issue. The rear camera connects with a small coaxial cable, which could easily get damaged if connecting it on a regular basis. The Thinkware connects to the rear camera by USB so the chance of damage is much less.

Firmware, Phone App, PC/Mac APP

In the period I have owned the cameras I’ve had firmware updates for both. Blackvue seem to issue more updates than Thinkware and they’re always adding new features. Thinkware just seem to update the camera to fix problems and still the problems persist. I’ve had a number of issues with the Thinkware firmware. First you don’t select which voice alerts you want, you either have all or nothing where as on the Blackvue you can select what you want it to tell you (E.g. Start Recording, Power On, Parking Mode). I like to know the camera has started recording but I don’t want to hear ‘Continuously Format SD card’ 5 times every time I get in. Secondly you can turn the voice off on the Thinkware but it doesn’t actually stay off for long. After about a week you have to go back into the firmware and turn it back off – it’s obviously a bug. Thirdly the way the firmware logs the video files, rather than having one folder with all the recordings in (Event, parking, continuous) then sorting them by date/time the Thinkware separates all these recordings into different folders. So when you play it back you have to go hunting for missing bits of video because they are in a different folder. Blackvue just put them in one folder and list them by date/time – much easier.

The Thinkware also will save more important recordings, for instance as an example the memory card storage is 30%Parking, 50% Event, then the remaining for continuous recording. There are only 3 factory pre-set options so you can’t select your own preference. I find this poor as I want to get the most amount of video, whether it be event, or continuous on my memory card before it gets rewritten over. So you find that you will only get a few days of continuous recording before it gets written over. The Blackvue manages this differently, it will just rewrite over the oldest file – what this gives you is about 2 weeks of recordings of everything (Depending on how much driving you do).

Both allow you to alter the sensitivity of ‘Event’ recordings to what you want – both need turning down from the factory setting.

Both phone apps seem ok, but it’s the Mac software that lets the Thinkware camera down. It does the job, but again there are little bugs they need to iron out (Which no doubt they will). Little things like having to manually locate the video files, speed only in Kph, poor map.

In summary I think Blackvue have nailed it on the software side.

Video Quality

I have cameras set on full quality, at the highest FPS. I should also note that the Thinkware has a better quality memory card in than the Blackvue (Which apparently can affect the quality) There is not much in it but the Thinkware is the better quality, I have linked to two videos. Both are on the same road, same time so it gives a good comparison. The only difference is vehicle. So you can decide for yourselves which is better. Whether youtube has altered the quality slightly is another question - as it doesn't seem quite as good as the copy on my computer.

Audio Quality

Hands down the Thinkware wins on this one. The microphone picks much more up and is a lot clearer.

Parking Mode

I have only tested the Blackvue with this so can’t give a fair review. You need the Power Magic Pro to use this feature where as the Thinkware has it built into the software. I prefer the Power Magic option just because of the issues I’ve had with the Firmware on the Thinkware. I wouldn’t trust it enough to cut the power to the camera when the battery got low, where as with the Power Magic it is a separate device from the camera.

I haven’t got the Power Magic on the BMW due to the battery issues (It’s on another vehicle) so I just use the power socket under the glove box.

Power On Time

This won’t be important if you use the parking mode, but if you just have it powered on while driving both power up and lock onto GPS in about the same amount of time – I haven’t timed this but I can if anyone really wants to know.

Other features

Speed Camera/Collision Warning feature on the Thinkware is useless. You can turn them off from the start. The speed camera alerts warns you of a mobile speed camera zone about 10 times in 30 seconds, and you can’t turn the mobile alerts off from the fixed camera alerts. Collision warning never seemed to work either. Both good ideas but in reality rubbish.

Issues

DAB Interference

I’ve got the Blackvue 2CH in the BMW and at first we had DAB issues in areas of poor signal. I should add I ran the cable under the carpet rather than through the headlining of the car. Once I had fitted a suppressor at one end I haven’t had any issues.

SD Card Issue

At first I had issues with the SD card that the supplier sent with the Blackvue camera. I later learned that it was a £6 card off eBay that was very poor quality. These cameras like a good quality card with a high read/write speed. I have now learnt from this and will only buy high quality cards for any of the cameras. Luckily I have had no issues since running 64GB cards in each camera. If you are buying a 64GB card though ensure you format it using a PC/MAC first rather than getting the camera to do it. Saves so much hassle.

Summary

Hopefully what I’ve covered gives anyone looking to purchase the positives and negatives of each camera. After purchasing the Thinkware I had to get another camera for another vehicle – I didn’t think twice about getting the Blackvue again. As an all round package I think Blackvue offer a better camera but if all you are bothered about is video quality then the Thinkware is just that little bit better on image quality.
Attached Images

Appreciate 4
      12-24-2015, 06:50 AM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

Excellent write up - thanks for this, I think many will find this useful.

Annoyingly I went Thinkware just because I am a Mac user and thought there was no BlackVue Mac compatible software
      12-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #3
rocketretro
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: M235i Coupe

Garage List
Very useful, it's on my to do list in the New Year and I'll get BlackVue to fit it using their mobile service.
      12-24-2015, 11:27 AM   #4
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Thanks for the great write up. This is very helpful as I'm planning to get one fitted in new year!
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 05:16 PM   #5
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

Thanks for sharing. Good write up. I have had a Blackvue for the last 3 years in RRS. Not sure it was the 650 though. Maybe 550 i think. Only issue i had with this is that it would overheat. They replaced it foc when it was outside its warranty period. I was thinking of going the 2 channel Thinkware F750 64gb route this time, purely for the additional features the Thinkware offers.
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 05:19 PM   #6
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive
Thanks for sharing. Good write up. I have had a Blackvue for the last 3 years in RRS. Not sure it was the 650 though. Maybe 550 i think. Only issue i had with this is that it would overheat. They replaced it foc when it was outside its warranty period. I was thinking of going the 2 channel Thinkware F750 64gb route this time, purely for the additional features the Thinkware offers.
I think they resolved the overheat issue with the 650. In terms of the additional features on the F750 - they aren't worth it as they don't work well enough IMO. Blackvue offer more features and are always updating - Thinkware don't seem to be doing this.
Appreciate 1
      12-27-2015, 03:56 AM   #7
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Thumbs up

Time for a rethink then... I will have to research the Blackvue 650 now. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 06:10 AM   #8
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Black vue after care is top notch as well. Had my cameras changed twice even though once it was my fault. Nigel even came to my home to sort out the coaxial cable as I had bent the central wire and shorted the rear view camera. The coaxial cable is its Achilles heel as it's very easily bent.

Would be tempted by the thinkware as got one as well because I like the proximity recording function and the cable is USB type so sturdier. Also easier DIY fit as can use piggy back fuse connectors to tap into the fuse box as power management is integrated

Blackvue have also launched their cloud app which should allow you to log into your car to view the live footage - not tried it yet.

Don't pay for their sim upgrade as they supply a shite sd card - or did at the time I bought and this was responsible for all my issues buy a genuine decent 64gb sd card instead.

Both good cameras and you won't feel cheated which ever you go for

Unfortunately do regard them as a must after personal experiences.
      12-28-2015, 10:59 AM   #9
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep
Drives: Myself crazy

Now all this talk has really got me thinking. i had originally made up my mind on the F750, now I am torn again?

AARRGGHHHHHH1111
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:03 AM   #10
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001 View Post
Black vue after care is top notch as well. Had my cameras changed twice even though once it was my fault. Nigel even came to my home to sort out the coaxial cable as I had bent the central wire and shorted the rear view camera. The coaxial cable is its Achilles heel as it's very easily bent.

Would be tempted by the thinkware as got one as well because I like the proximity recording function and the cable is USB type so sturdier. Also easier DIY fit as can use piggy back fuse connectors to tap into the fuse box as power management is integrated

Blackvue have also launched their cloud app which should allow you to log into your car to view the live footage - not tried it yet.

Don't pay for their sim upgrade as they supply a shite sd card - or did at the time I bought and this was responsible for all my issues buy a genuine decent 64gb sd card instead.

Both good cameras and you won't feel cheated which ever you go for

Unfortunately do regard them as a must after personal experiences.
They've changed their cards now and they're Delkin card (One of the best on the market) so their packages aren't so badly priced at the minute. I slipped up and ended up purchasing the two separately when I could have got a better deal.

I fitted the Power Magic with piggy back fuses, so don't see this being any different between the Thinkware or Blackvue. If you wanted to use the power management on the Thinkware you have to purchase the separate cable much like purchasing the power magic. As I mentioned in my review I don't think I would trust the Thinkware firmware to be reliable as the Power Magic.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to add more confusion... my ThinkWare has been perfect since reloading the firmware; not missed a beat!

I had fully decided on the Blackvue when buying mine but went ThinkWare due to the historic heat/card issues.

Now ThinkWare does a front/rear kit with hard wire kit and 64gb card for £265, I've just bought a third for a friend (will fit tomorrow). Just pips Blackvue on cost and since I've had no issues I'm sticking with it.

I'm sure this helps no one
      12-28-2015, 12:01 PM   #12
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkG335
Just to add more confusion... my ThinkWare has been perfect since reloading the firmware; not missed a beat!

I had fully decided on the Blackvue when buying mine but went ThinkWare due to the historic heat/card issues.

Now ThinkWare does a front/rear kit with hard wire kit and 64gb card for £265, I've just bought a third for a friend (will fit tomorrow). Just pips Blackvue on cost and since I've had no issues I'm sticking with it.

I'm sure this helps no one
I've not had many issues with the Thinkware firmware - the recording has been fine. It's just turning the sound notifications which seem to be buggy, they keep turning themselves back on.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:01 PM   #13
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

Will everyone just please stop it, you are not helping my little brain make an important decision.

Now, where was I??

Thats right, fully fitted F750 from RAC or 650 and try to route it round the floor??

also, def want parking mode as thats very important to me, as is hardwiring.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:27 PM   #14
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Fireblade View Post
Now all this talk has really got me thinking. i had originally made up my mind on the F750, now I am torn again?

AARRGGHHHHHH1111
Just how I feel..... I had made my mind up but having second thoughts. F750.... DR 650. ..???

Perhaps we should do a poll...
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 02:38 PM   #15
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

This is why I wrote the review - it gives you the positives and negatives of each camera and hopefully from that you can make a decision as to what you want from the camera. Both aren't bad cameras but I felt from owning both cameras that the Blackvue was better.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #16
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDrPorkChop View Post
This is why I wrote the review - it gives you the positives and negatives of each camera and hopefully from that you can make a decision as to what you want from the camera. Both aren't bad cameras but I felt from owning both cameras that the Blackvue was better.
So hardwiring, parking mode, no loss of DAB, no issues with battery drain and ease of use are my priorities.

I am not fussed about all the extra's like camera alerts etc.

Which one?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 03:06 PM   #17
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Parking - I've only used this feature on the Blackvue and it works really well. So Balckvue on that.

DAB issues - had them on the Blackvue but haven't had the Thinkware installed on the BMW so can't comment. But others still have had DAB issues with either camera. Put a suppressor on my Blackvue and it's been fine since.

Hardwiring - both will give you battery drain issues if just wired in normally. There are a number of comments on here about this. The Thinkware would give you one less box to think about as you don't need the power magic.

Easy of use - Blackvue hands down.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #18
ahero4eternity
Major
Rep
Drives: bmw

I've had my f750 for a couple weeks now. Set it and forget it. Works like a charm.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 03:27 PM   #19
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

I think I am going to give Thinkware a try this time around. Now who has the best deal available? I want the 2 channel (front & rear) cameras, 64gb hard wired with park recording. Next question, how do I hard wire it in a 2015 335d touring? Is there any spare permanently live fuses I can use?
Thanks once again for sharing your experiences guys.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 03:32 PM   #20
Danny Fireblade
Village idiot
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive View Post
I think I am going to give Thinkware a try this time around. Now who has the best deal available? I want the 2 channel (front & rear) cameras, 64gb hard wired with park recording. Next question, how do I hard wire it in a 2015 335d touring? Is there any spare permanently live fuses I can use?
I think this is where I will be going too, thanks Evildrporkchop for everything though, lol.
Appreciate 1
      12-28-2015, 04:43 PM   #21
EvilDrPorkChop
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335d Touring Xdrive
From experience and what others have said on the BMWs if you wire into a perm live you will get the battery discharge issue.

In a nut shell, if a power feed is been drawn after the car shuts down (so about 15 minutes after you lock the car) the main computer will stay active rather than shutting down. This will then give you the battery discharge message after a day or so if the car has been stood.

Before you ask - I don't know the solution haha. I've never got round to finding the best solution but eventually I think I'd just buy a battery pack.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2015, 07:08 PM   #22
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep

I'll take some pictures of my setup tomorrow (er today even) - essentially one wire on the battery, one piggy back on a fuse under the boot floor and one to ground behind the nsr seat bolster cushion.

Fitting another one to my mates Kia tomorrow so hopefully that's just as simple!