F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Pictures of Dash cam set-up
proTUNING Freaks

12-22-2015, 03:06 PM   #1
amsbmw
Captain
Rep
Drives: 3 series

Pictures of Dash cam set-up

Has anyone got pictures of their dash cam to see location and size.

I had a mini 0805 for a week (Needs to be small and discrete) but some problems with it so will be returning it and looking for something else

Price range no more than £80 as it is my first dash cam.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 04:27 PM   #2
MarkG_M5Comp
Supreme Being
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5 Comp

I have photos somewhere but at a higher price range since I have the ThinkWare 2ch.
      12-22-2015, 04:33 PM   #3
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

Definitely the best one around that price is the Transcend Drivepro 200, I have it and an A118C and although the A118C has a great form factor, it doesn't have playback through the display or the wifi to play back or transfer videos to phone/tablet that the DP200 has.

DP200 is still pretty well hidden behind the rear view mirror.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2015, 05:22 PM   #4
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

Have you tried search there's been a few dashcam threads with pics.......
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2015, 07:03 PM   #5
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F36 430d xDrive M Sport

I have a mini 0806. I'd be interested in the problems you had with the 0805.

BTW I had to locate it on the left side in front of the mirror as it doesn't fit on the right and it would cover a sensor .

Last edited by Nobby Clark; 12-24-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #6
davybull
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive touring mSport

This is my Blackview DR650 set up.

Mounted as high as possible on the windscreen above the drivers seat. I have my seat on the floor so it isn't in the way and I prefered this position rather than next to the mirror.

Back camera mounted on a home made bracket in the back of my F31 which slots inside the headlining and is held by the rubber. Was too much trouble to mount on the tailgate because of the split tailgate.

Only visible cables are the inch or so to each camera.

Cable from font to back was run along the floor to try to avoid the DAB issue which it has done.

Connected to a Powermagic Pro. Both 12v permanent (straight to battery) and the switched 12v supply (fuse 162 12v sockets) are connected via fused connections. Parking timer set to 6 hours to avoid running the battery down too much.

Any questions just ask.

Dave.
Appreciate 1
      12-25-2015, 09:52 AM   #7
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobby Clark View Post
I have a mini 0806. I'd be interested in the problems you had with the 0805.

BTW I had to locate it on the left side in front of the mirror as it doesn't fit on the right and it would cover a sensor .
Exact same position I had mines in. Maybe you could help with the issue I had.

I charged it overnight and installed in the car the next day, give or take a couple hours.

It was plugged under the under the glovebox.

My issue was that it worked striaght away after full charge. (Blue and red flashing) which means it was charging while driving, which I found weird as it was charged for 12 hours. After a couple minutes it blue flashing ( fully charged and recording)

If the car was left for more than a 4/5 hours or overnight. (1 min switch off after car) the camera would end up dying. This meant that when back in the car it would be solid red ( charging but not recording)

So i figured the inside battery must have been the problem
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 09:56 AM   #8
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davybull View Post
This is my Blackview DR650 set up.

Mounted as high as possible on the windscreen above the drivers seat. I have my seat on the floor so it isn't in the way and I prefered this position rather than next to the mirror.

Back camera mounted on a home made bracket in the back of my F31 which slots inside the headlining and is held by the rubber. Was too much trouble to mount on the tailgate because of the split tailgate.

Only visible cables are the inch or so to each camera.

Cable from font to back was run along the floor to try to avoid the DAB issue which it has done.

Connected to a Powermagic Pro. Both 12v permanent (straight to battery) and the switched 12v supply (fuse 162 12v sockets) are connected via fused connections. Parking timer set to 6 hours to avoid running the battery down too much.

Any questions just ask.

Dave.
Thats a very nice setup Dave.

Unfortunately its my first camera so blackvue is out of my budget and I think for now Il probs just stick to front camera. Might try putting the next camera at the same position to see though
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
davybull
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d xDrive touring mSport

I had a Mini 801 in my Renault previously and despite being a budget camera is was quite good.
With the Blackvue being Wi-Fi you can see what the camera angle will be like before you stick it to the windscreen.

Dave
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 01:23 PM   #10
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsbmw View Post
Exact same position I had mines in. Maybe you could help with the issue I had.

I charged it overnight and installed in the car the next day, give or take a couple hours.

It was plugged under the under the glovebox.

My issue was that it worked striaght away after full charge. (Blue and red flashing) which means it was charging while driving, which I found weird as it was charged for 12 hours. After a couple minutes it blue flashing ( fully charged and recording)

If the car was left for more than a 4/5 hours or overnight. (1 min switch off after car) the camera would end up dying. This meant that when back in the car it would be solid red ( charging but not recording)

So i figured the inside battery must have been the problem
Hi

I think a blue light means it has power and flashing red is recording.
The internal battery should last, according to the manual, 10 mins but it lasts nowhere near that. That said you had it plugged in to power ( the cig lighter) so the internal battery shouldn't matter.
I found the solid red light problem occurred if you had the SD card set to auto rather then selecting just one slot.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 04:17 PM   #11
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davybull View Post
I had a Mini 801 in my Renault previously and despite being a budget camera is was quite good.
With the Blackvue being Wi-Fi you can see what the camera angle will be like before you stick it to the windscreen.

Dave
Wifi would be a good option rather than keep taking the card out to review footage I suppose
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 04:20 PM   #12
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Hi

I think a blue light means it has power and flashing red is recording.
The internal battery should last, according to the manual, 10 mins but it lasts nowhere near that. That said you had it plugged in to power ( the cig lighter) so the internal battery shouldn't matter.
I found the solid red light problem occurred if you had the SD card set to auto rather then selecting just one slot.
According to the internet.

Flashing Blue - Fully charged and recording.
Solid blue - using internal battery and charging.
Flashing red/blue - connected to external source while recording
Solid red - charging no recording

Im not sure if the 0805/ 06 differ between the lights then or not.

Also the 0805 doesnt have two microsd slots like the 806 does (if the 0806 do)

I went for the 0805 as heard they were the most reliable.

How long have you had yours and how is it connected ? Any problems?
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 05:07 PM   #13
335d Touring Xdrive
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2016 335d Touring

I am going to order a Thinkware F750 2 channel (front & rear) camera for my new 335d Touring. The F750 has everything I need in a camera. I also have a Blackvue 650 which I have just taken out of my RRS. Good camera but suffer from overheating. Already had it repaired due to this, so upgrading to the Thinkware camera next.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2015, 06:17 PM   #14
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:

How long have you had yours and how is it connected ? Any problems?
I've got two 0806's in two different cars.
Occasionally, I get the solid red light - not recording. It's annoying because you end up regularly checking the light is flashing.

On both set ups I have the cameras conected via a Blackview Power Magic Pro which allows the cams to run from the car battery after the power is shut off with voltage protection so you don't run down the car bar battery. This us optional but the set up is pretty much the same.

On the BMW I ran the cable from the cam, along the headlining to the drivers A pillar. I removed the A pillar cover and made sure the cable as clear of the airbag and followed the other cables down the A pillar. Note there are videos on YouTube that suggest you just tuck the cable across the top of the A pillar. Don't. It's where the air curtain is.
From there I tucked the cable under the door trim to the back seat. Pass the cable under the back seat and you get to the fuse box.

Because half the car shuts down at various times after locking, I took the permanent live feed straight from the battery (add an inline fuse). Earth to chassis or negative battery terminal. For the ACC I took the interior boot light fuse via a piggyback fuse holder.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #15
Broncho
Banned
England
Rep
Drives: Chav white Mercedes

Here's mine it's an Amacam AM-M80, pretty cheap at £40 but does the job and is easy to use, just about fits behind the mirror and the wires are completely hidden around the windscreen, the door rubber and down to the passenger footwell power socket, starts with the car so you just get in and drive away, virtually all of my family and friends have bought one since I got mine!

Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #16
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I've got two 0806's in two different cars.
Occasionally, I get the solid red light - not recording. It's annoying because you end up regularly checking the light is flashing.

On both set ups I have the cameras conected via a Blackview Power Magic Pro which allows the cams to run from the car battery after the power is shut off with voltage protection so you don't run down the car bar battery. This us optional but the set up is pretty much the same.

On the BMW I ran the cable from the cam, along the headlining to the drivers A pillar. I removed the A pillar cover and made sure the cable as clear of the airbag and followed the other cables down the A pillar. Note there are videos on YouTube that suggest you just tuck the cable across the top of the A pillar. Don't. It's where the air curtain is.
From there I tucked the cable under the door trim to the back seat. Pass the cable under the back seat and you get to the fuse box.

Because half the car shuts down at various times after locking, I took the permanent live feed straight from the battery (add an inline fuse). Earth to chassis or negative battery terminal. For the ACC I took the interior boot light fuse via a piggyback fuse holder.
How often does the solid red light occur ?

And if it does occur how long till its back to recording again?
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 02:16 PM   #17
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
How often does the solid red light occur ?

And if it does occur how long till its back to recording again?
I don't think there is a pattern to it. To restart recording I do the usual IT fix - switch it off and on again.

It may be a symptom of the Power Magic box where by its supposed to stay on for 6 hours after power is cut. I think restarting the engine several times (possibly the stop start) plays havoc with the logic and the whole thing locks up.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2015, 04:58 PM   #18
amsbmw
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think there is a pattern to it. To restart recording I do the usual IT fix - switch it off and on again.

It may be a symptom of the Power Magic box where by its supposed to stay on for 6 hours after power is cut. I think restarting the engine several times (possibly the stop start) plays havoc with the logic and the whole thing locks up.
Mine didnt reset when holding the power button so thats why it was returned p
Appreciate 1
      12-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #19
Nobby Clark
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Mine didnt reset when holding the power button so thats why it was returned p
Ah. I should have may be been clearer. To "reset" I just press the button once to switch the screen on, then again to switch off. I don't do the 20second (or whatever it is) reset.

I agree it's flaky software though.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2016, 09:35 AM   #20
Beancounter_74
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: M140i F20, 449i F33

Here's the ThinkWare in my F31. Front camera only currently. Powered by the socket under the glove box. Only visible wire is the 2" run to the top of the windscreen as shown.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-15-2016, 03:45 PM   #21
gary3005
Registered
Rep
Drives: 330D F34

Hi, Looking for help sorting out the dreaded DAB wipeout problem caused by my DR650 in an F34, and came across this thread... So a couple of questions, if I may ask davybull...

I've been supplied a coax cable by blackvue which they have wrapped in tin foil tape, which is supposed to cure dab problems. I've routed this on the drivers side of the roof/door seals to the rear mounted camera. With the camera mounted top centre, DAB is completely wiped out, but due to the rake of the rear screen, fitting the cam anywhere else is really a nonstarter as there is too much reflection.

So I'm thinking your install is worth a try, so.....

Is your ingenious headlining bracket installed directly under the shark fin? And which side of the car have you run the coax cable, which I assume is hidden under the door seals etc?
Thanks,
Gary
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2016, 04:29 PM   #22
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary3005 View Post
Hi, Looking for help sorting out the dreaded DAB wipeout problem caused by my DR650 in an F34, and came across this thread... So a couple of questions, if I may ask davybull...

I've been supplied a coax cable by blackvue which they have wrapped in tin foil tape, which is supposed to cure dab problems. I've routed this on the drivers side of the roof/door seals to the rear mounted camera. With the camera mounted top centre, DAB is completely wiped out, but due to the rake of the rear screen, fitting the cam anywhere else is really a nonstarter as there is too much reflection.

So I'm thinking your install is worth a try, so.....

Is your ingenious headlining bracket installed directly under the shark fin? And which side of the car have you run the coax cable, which I assume is hidden under the door seals etc?
Thanks,
Gary

You need to run the wire under the lower door seals/ carpet via the passenger side to avoid dab issues. The dab aerial is located within the headling. You can also get suppresors from Blackvue and eBay etc. One at either end of the cable helps.

Did mine this way - f30. No dab issues