F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > CBS - Front Brakes
ARMA SPEED

12-19-2015, 02:10 AM   #1
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G31 520d M Sport

CBS - Front Brakes

The mileage remaining on my front brakes seems to be dropping really quickly at the moment. The CBS in iDrive has dropped from 9000 to 4500 is a short time and I've certainly not driven 4500miles. I have driven 22000 miles so far. I don't consider myself a heavy braker. I do wonder about The legitimacy of CBS and if it is really as accurate as BMW suggest.

If I was to change the pads myself, would the CBS automatically reset to a greater value or does it need to be reset by a technician? If the latter, surely it cannot be a CBS system as it hasn't recognised the new pads. And if so is CBS based rather on time and if you have a service package or not? My previous two cars which I had for 2 and 3 years respectively never got within 10000miles of a brake change with 30000+ miles on the clock, but I did have a service package that covered them.

Equally, I only had the oil changed once during the time of ownership for both. On my current vehicle a 2014 F11 2.0d I have had one oil change and I am only 8000 away from a second oil change. I don't have a service package as going off my past two cars I found it wasn't worth doing from a cost point of view. Maybe I'm being cynical but I'm starting to doubt the validity of the whole CBS system and depending what service packages you have determines by a computer program what the timeline is for the servicing in the favour of BMW on the basis of increasing their revenues.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 03:51 AM   #2
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X3 M40d

You can easily reset all the service intervals yourself:

And regarding the oil service, it goes down quicker if you do short journeys or drive the car hard etc.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 04:38 AM   #3
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaston
You can easily reset all the service intervals yourself:

And regarding the oil service, it goes down quicker if you do short journeys or drive the car hard etc.
Well that confirms what I was thinking - it clearly isn't a condition based service - if you replace an item be it oil or brakes the system should pick that up and reset itself, but by having to manually reset the counters, it suggests to me that the system is purely a countdown rather than condition based. I wonder if this is being mis- advertised / mis-sold as such?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 05:02 AM   #4
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc View Post
Well that confirms what I was thinking - it clearly isn't a condition based service - if you replace an item be it oil or brakes the system should pick that up and reset itself, but by having to manually reset the counters, it suggests to me that the system is purely a countdown rather than condition based. I wonder if this is being mis- advertised / mis-sold as such?
I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion tbh. How on earth would the car know you've change the oil or brake pads?

The 'condition based' is worked out on use and conditions the car has gone through, so whether the car is driven hard or gently, ambient temps the car has been subjected to, number of times and how hard you've braked etc.

The car does not have a scientific probe in the oil to determine it's condition, or a camera & laser in the wheel arches to measure exactly how much pad material is left!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 05:30 AM   #5
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm not sure how you're coming to that conclusion tbh. How on earth would the car know you've change the oil or brake pads?

The 'condition based' is worked out on use and conditions the car has gone through, so whether the car is driven hard or gently, ambient temps the car has been subjected to, number of times and how hard you've braked etc.

The car does not have a scientific probe in the oil to determine it's condition, or a camera & laser in the wheel arches to measure exactly how much pad material is left!
I came to that conclusion quite easily. Why would I be wrong in thinking that there isn't sensor in the engine that determines the condition of the engines oil - A sensor that measures the viscosity. Why would I be wrong in thinking that the brake pads have sensors that are cable of measuring distance between two points.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 05:37 AM   #6
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I came to that conclusion quite easily. Why would I be wrong in thinking that there isn't sensor in the engine that determines the condition of the engines oil - A sensor that measures the viscosity. Why would I be wrong in thinking that the brake pads have sensors that are cable of measuring distance between two points.
Because you are wrong I'm afraid.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 05:47 AM   #7
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure?

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E64/oil-sensors.pdf
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc
Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure?

Hmmm, not sure. It does say that all new engine types don't have a dipstick, but my car definitely does have a dipstick.
Maybe these new sensors are only one certain newer engines? :
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 06:15 AM   #9
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njc
Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure?

Hmmm, not sure. It does say that all new engine types don't have a dipstick, but my car definitely does have a dipstick.
I have a dipstick on mine also - but maybe I am misunderstanding what Condition Based Servicing means. Is it driving conditions based servicing or the condition of oil / brakes based servicing. Strange how my previous 2 cars one an E60 the other an F11 never got within the frequency of CBS I am currently experiencing, yet having been driven the same route, same mileage and same driving style.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 07:27 AM   #10
teaston
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by njc
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by njc
Quote:
Quote:
Are you sure?

I have a dipstick on mine also - but maybe I am misunderstanding what Condition Based Servicing means. Is it driving conditions based servicing or the condition of oil / brakes based servicing. Strange how my previous 2 cars one an E60 the other an F11 never got within the frequency of CBS I am currently experiencing, yet having been driven the same route, same mileage and same driving style.
Maybe the 5 series has more advanced sensors. Pretty sure that even then the car would still use other information as well.

My car seems pretty good, both oil services have been after 17k which with the driving I do I think it's right.

The rear brakes were way out though, jumped one day from saying 15k left to suddenly 1.7k left!!
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2016, 05:30 PM   #11
njc
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well I've just had my car serviced at 35000 miles and got the dealership to check my brakes pads as the fronts have been showing 3200 miles for sometime and the rears showing 10000. They reported I had the following left - Fronts 6mm 58 % and rears 9mm 90% which leads me to conclude the miles showing as remaining in the idrive is way off the mark.
Appreciate 0