F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Tracking / Racing / Autocrossing > New Track Near Philly: Feeler
proTUNING Freaks

12-17-2015, 06:18 PM   #1
rocat14
Private
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 335i xDrive MT

New Track Near Philly: Feeler

(Repost from E90 Forum, I want to get this out across all the forums: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1205748)

I was speaking to a few of my coworkers, and we came to the conclusion that we wanted to build track. Many of us are enthusiasts, and have now become enthused with the idea of making this happen.

Currently this is just an idea and I am in the pre-pre-preliminary stages of finding out what the costs/requirements are for building a proper track. To give very loose numbers, we would be working with approximately 15,000,000. This number is subject to change depending on the findings of my research.

The ideal scenario would be about a 4-5 mile track. Something that is safe enough for beginners to get on the track and have fun, but also can be challenging. The idea would be to host track days, schooling, races and even facilitate a few drag strips. Ideally, it would have 3-4 buildings as well as a service area which would be indoors and give drivers the opportunity work on cars for pre/post laps.

I have absolutely no idea what the costs associated with building this are, and I do have the ability to gain extra funding but I need to be able to approximate the demand for the area. What I would like to know is, people within the tri-state area, would something like this interest you. This course would probably be located about 20 minutes from Philadelphia. This location is also subject to change, because I am also in the process of looking at other locations that could make more logical sense.

I would love to hear feedback about this, and in the next few weeks will be able to provide more concrete ideas about this concept. This is the first of many forums I am going to reach out to, in the hopes to see what the enthusiasts around the area think about this idea. If there truly is interest in something like this, it can definitely happen. If there is a market and there is demand, this is something that could happen.
2011 Cayman S MT (For the Twisties)
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2016, 03:09 PM   #2
andrewmr
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4

Garage List
It's not a matter of money...... but is expensive.

The bigger issue is permits. There have been a few people that have tried to build a track but eventually gave up after not being able to get permits.

Do a search on Liberty Motorsports to get an idea of some of the issues.

And here is some info on the track over in NJ

http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.s...otorspo_2.html

As you'll see 15 million isn't gonna get it done.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 09:55 AM   #3
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

There is a new track going into the interior about 4 hours east of Vancouver. Jacques Villeneuve is one of the partners that has been organizing the track and getting the $$$ organized. I have very casually followed the development and have a few friends that have attended the information seminars.

The amount of money, permits and planning is shocking! The price of a race track is insane. The amount of red tape involved is equally insane. This is a well backed project with lots of local support and it is moving ahead but slowly.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #4
rocat14
Private
Rep

Do you happen to know specifics? I have been finding out more each day, and the amount of money is definitely much more than you would originally think - but about how much would you say this track is going to cost for completion?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 11:09 AM   #5
rocat14
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewmr
It's not a matter of money...... but is expensive.

The bigger issue is permits. There have been a few people that have tried to build a track but eventually gave up after not being able to get permits.

Do a search on Liberty Motorsports to get an idea of some of the issues.

And here is some info on the track over in NJ

http://www.nj.com/cumberland/index.s...otorspo_2.html

As you'll see 15 million isn't gonna get it done.
After reading this article, it really looks like this was a poorly managed institution. Management is key, spending is even more important. The fiscal issues I am seeing here, I do not think would be reproduced in an environment that is as focused as this group. Also, operation costs in NJ will be significantly more expensive than in PA. I do know that money will be a factor, as well as other liabilities but I also believe that with strong management and a sharp staff - it could also be done in a much better way.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 02:52 PM   #6
vanbmw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 Black 335i

Here is the link to the track's website:

http://www.area27.ca/

I did get some emails from them early thru a local track club I belong to but I can't find them. When I track it down I will post the prices. They had disclosed the approximate costs early on when they were trying to attract "members" and investors. I attended a meeting for potential members and it was very well run...seemed to have some $$$ behind it.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:37 AM   #7
G30 B58
Pace Car Driver
Rep
Drives: '22 AW G30 B58 M-Sport

Being just 50 minutes North of PHL, I'm certainly interested.

Be weary of the "not in my backyard" people.

Every time I drive by Nazareth Speedway I shed a tear and I never turned a wheel there as it was just a paved oval.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #8
rocat14
Private
Rep

Numbers would be fantastic. This is honestly a community thing, and if anyone is really interested and local (doesn't have to be but helps) you can shoot me a pm. Organizing this has been pretty time consuming so far, and we are a really small group so some extra hands would be really helpful.
Appreciate 0