M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

12-16-2015, 07:26 PM   #1
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Orange Peel removal on an AW M5

Was a little slow today, decided BMW had a little too much orange peel, so i went ahead and did some sanding. If the car was SO like we wanted, it would have looked even better. But this definitely enhanced the AW gloss to another level. The third pic is the trunk, had to really get down low to show how flat i got the paint to be. I also painted the mirrors gloss black (sanded these as well to remove what little peel it had when i painted it) I think there is some wax on it, (my apologies)

Not sure how to exactly post individual links to each pic via flikr, but oh well.

Enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127257163@N02/
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 06:37 AM   #2
evilb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: McLaren MSO 570S, 18 Raptor

Nice! Can you provide more details on the steps and products used?
      12-17-2015, 06:39 AM   #3
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F85 and 2015 F15

orange peel

Well, it is good to have time to spare in such way.

What I have done when I got my car was matching the texture going from bumper covers into the quarters ( rear ) and fenders up-front.
I hate the " course" transition between panels therefore I have done matching of the textures to my liking.
I did not get rid of all of the orange look why ?
This is not my first car that I have done it and what I find is that when finish gets to be glass like, it is all nice and dandy but... the panel imperfections are too visible in my opinion. I hate to see all of the press marks at the edge of the panels and especially at the door handle area.
I'm very picky when it comes to finish and that is why I'm leaving a bit of that texture look to make those little body imperfections less visible.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilb View Post
Nice! Can you provide more details on the steps and products used?

The entire car (sans the roof and bumpers) were sanded with 2k grit. I chose 2k grit as this cuts the peel out pretty well as you can see, and doesn't leave overly aggressive sand scratches that are hard to polish out. BMW clear on this car was VERY hard, it chewed up my 2k sandpaper like nothing.. so be prepared for that.

All gloss trim is to be masked off of course, you do not want to spend excess time cleaning it off.. it's PITA. Make sure to use 2 inch tape to cover off the entire width of the moldings/trim.

As for polish, i used Meguiars M100 with wool, then Adams orange foam with HD Hdapt, and as a 3rd step Adams white foam with HD Adapt. This got me to about 95% correction. This car is not daily driven, but it isn't a show car, so i wasn't shooting for 100%. IMO, there really is no point.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFten View Post
Well, it is good to have time to spare in such way.

What I have done when I got my car was matching the texture going from bumper covers into the quarters ( rear ) and fenders up-front.
I hate the " course" transition between panels therefore I have done matching of the textures to my liking.
I did not get rid of all of the orange look why ?
This is not my first car that I have done it and what I find is that when finish gets to be glass like, it is all nice and dandy but... the panel imperfections are too visible in my opinion. I hate to see all of the press marks at the edge of the panels and especially at the door handle area.
I'm very picky when it comes to finish and that is why I'm leaving a bit of that texture look to make those little body imperfections less visible.

Interesting assessment, I never minded those things. We're all different though, and i could definitely see someone not liking the glass finish. But this is something that would be more more prevalent on a darker colored car. The AW is ok to get away with IMO.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 09:57 AM   #6
Speed808Ix
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Was a little slow today, decided BMW had a little too much orange peel, so i went ahead and did some sanding. If the car was SO like we wanted, it would have looked even better. But this definitely enhanced the AW gloss to another level. The third pic is the trunk, had to really get down low to show how flat i got the paint to be. I also painted the mirrors gloss black (sanded these as well to remove what little peel it had when i painted it) I think there is some wax on it, (my apologies)

Not sure how to exactly post individual links to each pic via flikr, but oh well.

Enjoy!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127257163@N02/
Wow great job!!!
2015 BMW M///5 Comp. Package I Black Sapphire Metalic I Full Black Leather I Gruppe M Intakes I 3D Design Side Skirts I HRE FF01 I RKP Lip I IND Cosmetic Pkg I JB4 BETA I BMS Meth SS I MSR CP I Challenge SS Brake Lines I Challenge Diffuser I Undercover DP's I Dodson Clutch Packs I VRS GTS Tips I M Perf. Carbon Mirrors, Spoiler and Full Interior +++
698 WHP & 653 WTRQ (Corrected)
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:49 PM   #7
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2015, 08:50 PM   #8
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3 View Post
Interesting assessment, I never minded those things. We're all different though, and i could definitely see someone not liking the glass finish. But this is something that would be more more prevalent on a darker colored car. The AW is ok to get away with IMO.
Your JOB is A1 no question there. WE both like the same thing ..... trust me on that. My M5 is not a show car either.... but..... I love that show quality of my paint any day .
That quality ( your ) I have pulled out years back out of my project supra car.
I have done probably good two hours sanding 2000 grit each panel, then polishing and a bit more and some more again... you know exactly how it is.
The car looked like a plastic toy without a single flaw top to the bottom of the rocker. Scored some serious trophys with that car .
Then I sold the car to a fanatic, he parked it under a tree one day, we had hellllll of a storm one spring day tree finished the car by landing on it.

I have done a few more cars the same way, but now I have got a white car, and with that, I'm perfectly satisfied with a semi orange all the way around ( consistent ) .

Love your job
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2015, 09:04 PM   #9
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFten View Post
Your JOB is A1 no question there. WE both like the same thing ..... trust me on that. My M5 is not a show car either.... but..... I love that show quality of my paint any day .
That quality ( your ) I have pulled out years back out of my project supra car.
I have done probably good two hours sanding 2000 grit each panel, then polishing and a bit more and some more again... you know exactly how it is.
The car looked like a plastic toy without a single flaw top to the bottom of the rocker. Scored some serious trophys with that car .
Then I sold the car to a fanatic, he parked it under a tree one day, we had hellllll of a storm one spring day tree finished the car by landing on it.

I have done a few more cars the same way, but now I have got a white car, and with that, I'm perfectly satisfied with a semi orange all the way around ( consistent ) .

Love your job

Appreciate 0
      12-29-2015, 12:30 PM   #10
f10eugene
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW m5

Looks great! Question for you folks that understand and appreciate proper paint correction.

TrevorM3 MyFten

I bought my sapphire black f10 m5 used. The dealership I bought it from did a "descent" job of correcting any micro swirling, however, the car does have random, deep, hairline scratches throughout the vehicle. I am planning a paint correction this upcoming spring.

I suspect that even wool pad and aggressive compound won't correct some of these scratches. My only other option is wet sanding but I am hesitant because I don't want too much clear removed where it would compromise the longevity of the clear coat.

Do you guys use any paint/clear coat depth gauges? If so, what do you recommend the readings to be at before and after wet sanding and compounding?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2015, 10:09 PM   #11
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep

i honestly did not measure paint thickness. I do however know that the car has 0 paintwork on any panel all around. I paint for a living, so i know defects in refinish work when i see it. I did a thorough inspection before doing this job. I have full confidence in BMW's paint, so i went ahead and did it. A few years ago i did my black infiniti also, and a year later in the florida sun it was perfect.

I honestly do not believe you need to wetsand your car. eugene. Maybe spot wetsanding to remove some of the deeper ones, yes. I wool pad, and a very aggressive polish should do the trick. If you could, take some pics of the "deeper" scratches so i can at least try and let you know if wetsanding will remove them. we can go from there..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2015, 09:00 AM   #12
MyF15+F85
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f10eugene View Post
Looks great! Question for you folks that understand and appreciate proper paint correction.

TrevorM3 MyFten

I bought my sapphire black f10 m5 used. The dealership I bought it from did a "descent" job of correcting any micro swirling, however, the car does have random, deep, hairline scratches throughout the vehicle. I am planning a paint correction this upcoming spring.

I suspect that even wool pad and aggressive compound won't correct some of these scratches. My only other option is wet sanding but I am hesitant because I don't want too much clear removed where it would compromise the longevity of the clear coat.

Do you guys use any paint/clear coat depth gauges? If so, what do you recommend the readings to be at before and after wet sanding and compounding?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
I have had a black E91 and E70 so I know your concerns about that finish.

Wool pad is very aggressive in my opinion ( although it is my favourite )
I can get quicker through the swirls, foam pad is nice to finish the job but.....
it builds up heat too quick and if you are not careful it will distort the finish or better yet burn though it.
Doing a proper finish on a black car will force you to use 2000 grit paper and water ( with soap ).
I have levelled everything on my cars to minimum orange peel (my liking )
and then machine finish everything to a perfect glow.
Same here I do not use depth gage , why.... I work on original finishes ( mostly ) so it is easy for me to guesstimate the proper depth that I can safely cut before any trouble.

PS
Because of you guys now I have spotted yet another imperfection on my car which is the gas door ( plastic ) it has totally different grain when comparing to the rest of the quarter. Now as soon as I will get a moment it will get redone ( by me ). For now I'm finishing another " silly " project, before new years.

Hope that helps in some way

Happy new years to you all
Cheers !
Appreciate 0