F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N47 and N57 Turbodiesel Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > 328d xDrive SAT Coding
proTUNING Freaks

12-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #1
cjmcdonald86
Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328d xDrive

Unhappy 328d xDrive SAT Coding

So, I coded SAT a while ago on my 328d xDrive. It's probably been a year. It was always a little rough with doing the shifting myself, but I had compared with a 328d xDrive Sport Wagon that comes standard with the SAT, and it seemed pretty normal in that. Now, i'm having an issue with the transmission where it feels like it's missing a little when i'm driving it pretty hard. Just like little pings while accelerating. So, while working at a BMW dealership as a Genius, I had it in for service to check on the situation. I had thought that maybe I got a bad batch of diesel, and didn't really think that it was the tranny, figured it was the engine.

I get called back into the service department, where the tech and the service manager start yelling at me, up and down about the car. Now, I also coded a few other things on the car, like in the cluster, it says "M50d" when you turn it on, and other little things, like the Mini Cooper chimes.

They were literally flipping out on me, that "The car thinks this is a 5.0, and this isn't a 5.0." "And the chimes, I don't even know what those are." "We need to know what software you put on this car"

I was like, um, there is no software on this car, and I briefly tried to explain what "Coding" is, but they clearly didn't get it.

It turns out that it's the Transfer case that is the issue, but told me that if they replaced it, because of the Sport Automatic being coded, that BMW may not warranty the car.

I was thinking "BS" but they managed to scare me a little.

Does anyone have any insight on this issue? From my understanding of reading, and checking part numbers, and all that fun stuff, that SAT isn't actually a "different transmission." It's a different shifter, paddles, and PROGRAMMING.

12-15-2015, 05:20 PM   #2
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

The transfer case should not be influenced by the SAT coding on the gearbox.
Worst case, I would expect the gearbox itself to fail (for example from overheating), certainly not the transfer case.

Did you by any chance also code Launch Control and used it?
If so, that could be a much better argument against you than SAT coding.

Lastly, do you have any tune by any chance?
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 05:23 PM   #3
cjmcdonald86
Genius
United_States
Rep

I did code Launch control. Used it once, wasn't impressed. Never touched it again. Lol

No tune.
      12-16-2015, 03:51 AM   #4
stormlv
Human
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: Yes

My suggestion would be to revert to your factory settings for all future visits concerning warranty.
Make them understand that the transfer case is identical for both SAT and non SAT gearboxes, and you "adding" that feature should not have any impact on the warranty of the transfer case.

If i'm to stretch it, it's a bit like they saying that installing SAT, will void any warranty on the brakes.
2010 BMW Z4 sDrive35i DKG | 306 HP / 400Nm | Space Gray | Photo album
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2016, 06:07 PM   #5
cjmcdonald86
Genius
United_States
Rep

Typical Center

So, I de coded the SAT. Took it in for service, after verifying that It still had the issue after taking SAT off. Of course, per usual, the Center couldn't duplicate the issue... Blah. Guess I'll drive it until it dies.