F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > Vredestein Sessanta's??
Extreme Powerhouse

12-14-2015, 08:41 AM   #1
boom77
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F31 335d gone, now M135i

Vredestein Sessanta's??

Interested if anyone here has tried these tyres?
One of my MPSS has developed a side wall bulge, never been dinged, and no other damage to the side wall. Are down to 4mm so will get both fronts replaced.
Whilst checking some prices for MPSS I found some Sessanta's for £61 each delivered from Tyre Leader, which seems quite a bargain.
As good as the MPSS are, have to be honest I'm tempted by getting two tyres for pretty much the same price as 1 MPSS. The Sessanta's have very few bad comments, and I've been quite happy with my Vred Wintracs on my winter set.
So anyone had any experience of them?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F48 25D mSport

I'd not be saving the price of 1 tyre on MY m135i in your position.

Don't you have tyre insurance? if not, ask for them for Christmas rather than compromise your cars handing!
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 08:59 AM   #3
DazC
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp Pack

Garage List
Ive used them on other vehicles and found them to be excellent.
Appreciate 1
      12-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon. View Post
I'd not be saving the price of 1 tyre on MY m135i in your position.

Don't you have tyre insurance? if not, ask for them for Christmas rather than compromise your cars handing!
Not really sure how you know MY position tbh??
Don't have tyre insurance, and stopped asking for Christmas presents years ago.
If I was thinking of changing the MPSS to some Chinese skid specials I could understand your concerns over the handling, but the Sessanta's have been very widely regarded for quite a long time, and at half the price of the MPSS just before Crimbo, stirred an interest.
So have you tried them or not??
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:07 AM   #5
f30335d
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 335D

Had these on my previous car which was a golf r, not a bad tyre.

Have you considered goodyear eagle f1. Replaced the Vreds with these and couldn't complain.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:14 AM   #6
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom77 View Post
Not really sure how you know MY position tbh??
Don't have tyre insurance, and stopped asking for Christmas presents years ago.
If I was thinking of changing the MPSS to some Chinese skid specials I could understand your concerns over the handling, but the Sessanta's have been very widely regarded for quite a long time, and at half the price of the MPSS just before Crimbo, stirred an interest.
So have you tried them or not??
OK. How hard do you drive your car? The MPSS tyres are epic & I found the grip in the dry (& even the wet) so much better than anything I'd used before & they wer up with the PS cups imho.

Granted, it's my opinion but why would you drop down on from a top performing tyre that was fitted for a reason?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:30 AM   #7
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
OK. How hard do you drive your car? The MPSS tyres are epic & I found the grip in the dry (& even the wet) so much better than anything I'd used before & they wer up with the PS cups imho.

Granted, it's my opinion but why would you drop down on from a top performing tyre that was fitted for a reason?
It's my daily driver and work car, it doesn't get tracked. Whilst I do like to give it a squirt when conditions allow, more than 50% of my miles are spent on the m'way/duals.
Like I said, if it wasn't for the price and the fact that they have such a good rep, I wouldn't have looked twice.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 10:33 AM   #8
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f30335d View Post
Had these on my previous car which was a golf r, not a bad tyre.

Have you considered goodyear eagle f1. Replaced the Vreds with these and couldn't complain.
Had F1's on my old Audi, and really liked them, but not quite as good as the MPSS.
The F1's are also too similar in price to the MPSS's, only entertained the Vreds due to price and rep.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 11:51 AM   #9
Jonesy72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M135i

Had them on my E90 and they were very good
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 12:19 PM   #10
simon.
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boom77
Quote:

It's my daily driver and work car, it doesn't get tracked. Whilst I do like to give it a squirt when conditions allow, more than 50% of my miles are spent on the m'way/duals.
Like I said, if it wasn't for the price and the fact that they have such a good rep, I wouldn't have looked twice.
Ok. If you do give them a go then please report back as to how you get on
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 06:49 AM   #11
dobbo99
Major
Rep
Drives: E39 530 oldskool

Quote:
Interested if anyone here has tried these tyres?
One of my MPSS has developed a side wall bulge, never been dinged, and no other damage to the side wall. Are down to 4mm so will get both fronts replaced.
Whilst checking some prices for MPSS I found some Sessanta's for £61 each delivered from Tyre Leader, which seems quite a bargain.
As good as the MPSS are, have to be honest I'm tempted by getting two tyres for pretty much the same price as 1 MPSS. The Sessanta's have very few bad comments, and I've been quite happy with my Vred Wintracs on my winter set.
So anyone had any experience of them?
I think that MPSS are worth the extra money if you have a motor with decent power. I had Toyos on my M3 when I bought it, changed to michelins and it was a revelation.
Ive also had Ps2 and Ps3 which I thought were good, had Falkens on an e92 as well - not so great.

Having said that, the Vredesteins get excellent reviews and are probably more than good enough for the average vehicle. For £61 a piece, Id be going with them.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #12
simon the pieman
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: f44 M235i gran coupe

Quick question if I may. How do you find the non run flats. I'm due for some tyres soon and had looked at the verds too.
I'm of the same opinion as you if the tyre ratings are as good and reviews are good why pay out more than necessary. If they're not as good then you know for the future without spending loads.
Let's face it bmw don't pay for tyres the price we do. That's why they use top brands.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 12:45 PM   #13
Rbrown
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon the pieman View Post
Quick question if I may. How do you find the non run flats. I'm due for some tyres soon and had looked at the verds too.
I'm of the same opinion as you if the tyre ratings are as good and reviews are good why pay out more than necessary. If they're not as good then you know for the future without spending loads.
Let's face it bmw don't pay for tyres the price we do. That's why they use top brands.
I have the vredstein wintrac extreme s non run flats on. I'm a big fan of vred winter tyres.

The ride isn't as crashy and can recommend.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 12:54 PM   #14
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon the pieman View Post
Would never choose run flats. Had them on my F31 and was counting down the mm's until I could change them, but chopped it in for the M135 before that happened.
Loads have changed to the MPSS on their F30's with no regrets.
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 12:57 PM   #15
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbrown View Post
I have the vredstein wintrac extreme s non run flats on. I'm a big fan of vred winter tyres.

The ride isn't as crashy and can recommend.
Yeah had my Vred Wintrac Extemes on for the past 3 winters, this will be the fourth and been very happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:33 PM   #16
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Just to resurrect this thread. So after two of my four MPSS developed side wall bulges, one on front outside (no kerb damage, presumably pothole?), and then notice the same on the inner of one of the rears (so def not kerb damage!).
Rears were down to 3-3.5mm so knew they needed changing soon, bit the bullet and changed all four. Fresh rubber on all four corners of the M135 is a lovely feeling.
Rears went for Goodyear Eagle F1's, heard lots of good things about them, never tried them on any of the cars I've had. Not a great deal of selection in 245/35/18.
Fronts went for the Sessanta's. Whilst I have to admit the MPSS are great, a 50% bulge rate when I've never had any before annoyed me (punctures yes, but not bulges).
I have no problem admitting the price was a factor in the selection of both.
The Sessanta's set me back £56 each, less than 50% the price of the MPSS. Not been on for 1k yet but I have to say I'm very happy with them. First, and most noticeable, thing you notice is they are practically silent. They also look pretty cool, already had one or two people comment on my 'weird tyres'.
I don't track the car, it's my DD and work car, but it would be rude and borderline criminal not to give it a little squirt on some of the lovely mountain roads.
Turn in on the Sessanta's feels very sharp, with certainly enough grip probably down to the outer shoulder/contact patch which is a fair bit wider than most tyres. Only time will tell about wear rate.
The F1's are also noticeably quieter than the MPSS I had before and set me back £101 each. The side wall doesn't feel as firm as the MPSS, but wet grip seems better.
Incidentally got these from 4x4tyre.co.uk who were cheapest on the Sessanta's anyway, price matched the F1's, so would recommend.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 02:48 PM   #17
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

I really don't know why people comment if they have no experience in the subject....
I had these on my subaru they were excellent mate..
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2016, 03:07 PM   #18
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzy619 View Post
I really don't know why people comment if they have no experience in the subject....
Finally, someone with first-hand experience of Vredestein Sessantas fitted to a F3x is going to give their critical evaluation of the tyres noise, grip, handling and wear performance.

Quote:
Oh...
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #19
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
Quote:
Just to resurrect this thread. So after two of my four MPSS developed side wall bulges, one on front outside (no kerb damage, presumably pothole?), and then notice the same on the inner of one of the rears (so def not kerb damage!).
Rears were down to 3-3.5mm so knew they needed changing soon, bit the bullet and changed all four. Fresh rubber on all four corners of the M135 is a lovely feeling.
Rears went for Goodyear Eagle F1's, heard lots of good things about them, never tried them on any of the cars I've had. Not a great deal of selection in 245/35/18.
Fronts went for the Sessanta's. Whilst I have to admit the MPSS are great, a 50% bulge rate when I've never had any before annoyed me (punctures yes, but not bulges).
I have no problem admitting the price was a factor in the selection of both.
The Sessanta's set me back £56 each, less than 50% the price of the MPSS. Not been on for 1k yet but I have to say I'm very happy with them. First, and most noticeable, thing you notice is they are practically silent. They also look pretty cool, already had one or two people comment on my 'weird tyres'.
I don't track the car, it's my DD and work car, but it would be rude and borderline criminal not to give it a little squirt on some of the lovely mountain roads.
Turn in on the Sessanta's feels very sharp, with certainly enough grip probably down to the outer shoulder/contact patch which is a fair bit wider than most tyres. Only time will tell about wear rate.
The F1's are also noticeably quieter than the MPSS I had before and set me back £101 each. The side wall doesn't feel as firm as the MPSS, but wet grip seems better.
Incidentally got these from 4x4tyre.co.uk who were cheapest on the Sessanta's anyway, price matched the F1's, so would recommend.

Question if I may

Why Vredestein on the front and goodyears on the back ??

Is it a size availability issue. Just curious.
      04-07-2016, 03:53 PM   #20
dizzy619
Major
Rep
Drives: F31 340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Random75
Quote:
Finally, someone with first-hand experience of Vredestein Sessantas fitted to a F3x is going to give their critical evaluation of the tyres noise, grip, handling and wear performance.

Quote:
Oh...
Who pulled your chain
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 03:58 PM   #21
boom77
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001 View Post
Question if I may

Why Vredestein on the front and goodyears on the back ??

Is it a size availability issue. Just curious.
Yes.
Surprisingly few options in 245/35/18 either the big companies, or a couple of really cheap, nasty shit.
Hundreds of options in 225/40/18 though.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2016, 04:01 PM   #22
AlfaM
Captain
Rep
Drives: M340d

Quote:
Who pulled your chain
No one. Just expressing my impacted irony glands.

Last edited by AlfaM; 04-07-2016 at 04:08 PM..
Appreciate 0