E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dynavin N6 & MB Quart speakers

12-12-2015, 06:10 PM   #1
jonknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Dynavin N6 & MB Quart speakers

I'm looking to put this system together and I'm wondering if I could get some feedback and answers to a couple questions I have about installing it.

The equipment I'm using is as follows:

MB Quart 200.3 BMW:
2 speakers 4 ohm speakers
2 tweeters
2 4 ohm subwoofers
(I will be contacting MB Quart to see if I can get the matching speakers for back seat.

MB Quart OA800.4, 4 channel amp: to run the speakers

MB Quart DA1-500.2, 2 channel amp: to run under seat subs

I want to run the sound from the RCA's on the Dynavin to the amp in the trunk and then direct speaker wire to the speakers.

I've come to you guys for help in installation.

Is that the best way to do it, or can I use the Technic PNP harness with the aftermarket head unit to save running all those wires?

Last edited by jonknick; 12-12-2015 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 07:59 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Are you starting out with a base system?

Meaning the stereo system that did not come with and amp
from the factory.
You can do it either way but way easier with Hi Fi system
as you don't have to run a harness all the way to the trunk.
May require some modification to his harness but it will be
higher quality result than trying to fabricate one your self.

see technic website.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:24 PM   #3
jonknick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Meaning the stereo system that did not come with and amp
from the factory.
You can do it either way but way easier with Hi Fi system
as you don't have to run a harness all the way to the trunk.
May require some modification to his harness but it will be
higher quality result than trying to fabricate one your self.

see technic website.
Thanks Ctuna. Yes I am starting with the base system with no amp. Just the 6 speakers in my E92. I have been trying to get some info off the website, but it has been down for at least the past couple days.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 11:03 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Try this

http://technicpnp.com/product_purcha...E90-92-93.html

For some reason if you get stuck on the Home page you
can't get back.

You might want to talk to Jeff the Dynavin guy to see what the
best way to proceed is .
You will have to run wires either way but Technics Harness
will be more pro.

Last edited by ctuna; 12-12-2015 at 11:11 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 05:20 PM   #5
jeffb335
Rep
Drives: BMW

I would run RCAs from the Dynavin head unit to the amp, then use the technic harness to plug into the speaker wires at the factory amp plug. No cutting on the factory harness, all reversible.

By running RCAs you can run a separate set for the subwoofer so you can take advantage of the Dynavin's sub control.

A little more work but will be a cleaner, "more correct" setup
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:40 PM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

But with the base system there is no harness to the

But with the base system there is no harness to the trunk.
And Technics base system harness is designed to plug into
the Pro Radio or I drive I think.

Last edited by ctuna; 02-06-2016 at 06:44 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 03:43 AM   #7
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55

You don't need an amp for the front mb quart door speakers or rear shelf. Just run them off the head unit (i think it's 50x4?). and power the underseat woofers separately with a monobloc. The base system is the easiest to upgade with no excessive clutter.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #8
jonknick
Rep

So I did end up doing this installation. I did not amp the speakers, and only used the 2 channel amp to power the subs.

The sound quality is far better than I expected. When I compared the stock speakers to the MB Quart's, the stock ones have a far larger magnet and the subwoofers looked tiny, but overall they are quite a bit louder than stock and exactly what I was looking for...

What I did was:

Found some tweeter covers on eBay that cost me like $60 including the tweeters (I think from HiFi) to replace my non-tweeter corners. The MB Quart tweeters fit in there, they didn't like click in, but they're in there

I ended up cutting the harness to install the speakers (regretfully), and hooked the crossover to the tweets and mids

The most annoying part was removing the stock subwoofers which were glued in for some reason to the plastic unerseat box. But after i ripped them out with a screwdriver, the MB Quart's went in just fine although holes to secure the subs were required.

I made a home made jumpers for the speaker wires @ the subwoofer with some wire and modified connectors that were laying around.

And hooking up the subwoofers I ran an RCA from sub outs on Dynavin to the 2 channel amp in the trunk and then speaker wire from amp in parallel up to subwoofers. This is what I am most impressed about. the subwoofers sound great and dont distort at high volumes, not that I tried to push them real far, but I like loud bassy electronic music and they're fine.

I think overall this install was pretty easy, just kind of time consuming taking out the seats, removing the head unit, and running wires. But it sounds great and I didn't see a need to modify the subwoofer covers, rug or padding

A couple side notes:
On the Dynavin N6, the remote wire is the blue wire in the set of wires that goes to where the would be MOST connector.

Removing the back seat in the coupe makes it a lot easier to run wire (it just pulls up)

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 06:12 AM   #9
Rialas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55

^^ exact same procedure as I did (other than the head unit). Mb quart are great.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2016, 06:08 PM   #10
jonknick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rialas View Post
^^ exact same procedure as I did (other than the head unit). Mb quart are great.
Definitely, I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 10:23 AM   #11
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknick View Post
Definitely, I was pleasantly surprised with the sound quality
I am doing the same thing but can I asked why you didn't run the front speakers of of a amp? Is the quality good enough off the dynavin?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #12
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb335 View Post
I would run RCAs from the Dynavin head unit to the amp, then use the technic harness to plug into the speaker wires at the factory amp plug. No cutting on the factory harness, all reversible.

By running RCAs you can run a separate set for the subwoofer so you can take advantage of the Dynavin's sub control.

A little more work but will be a cleaner, "more correct" setup
Sorry to hijack your thread but it seems this is very close to the answer I need!

Jeff,

On this point I already have a subwoofer connected to the dynavin. So if I upgrade to a 3 way kit and wish to amp the front + tweeters (1 channel each) and the underseats (1channel each) I would need to use the rear left and rear right outputs on this harness. Does this mean that in future I couldn't upgrade amp the rears if I wanted to?(I don't see this happening anyway but would rather know)

Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 07:13 PM   #13
jonknick
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman_321 View Post
I am doing the same thing but can I asked why you didn't run the front speakers of of a amp? Is the quality good enough off the dynavin?
I'm happy with the sound at this point. The sound is seamless in my opinion. But...For my install, I did speakers one weekend and subs next weekend, in the week in between, I was driving around without subs and I was concerned they weren't enough power... They were clear, but I expected some amount of bass from them. When the subs were installed they were perfectly complimented- It makes sense that the mids are EQ'd for mid-higher frequencies from the capacitor and the subs perfectly make up for it.

I originally wanted to install with an amp to the front door and rear seat speakers, but I'm not thrilled at the thought of installing it.

Unless there is a far easier way, I think it will require either splicing of the head unit harness speaker wires or running speaker wire from newly installed 4 channel amp in trunk all the way to the front speakers since Pro Audio doesn't have an amp in the back...

Dynavin from what I read on here is 50x4, I wonder how much we would really appreciate the extra 30 watts to the speakers... Also I wonder if there would be a bass boost or just speakers that need to be turned down to match the sub power... idk...
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2016, 02:39 PM   #14
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknick View Post
I'm happy with the sound at this point. The sound is seamless in my opinion. But...For my install, I did speakers one weekend and subs next weekend, in the week in between, I was driving around without subs and I was concerned they weren't enough power... They were clear, but I expected some amount of bass from them. When the subs were installed they were perfectly complimented- It makes sense that the mids are EQ'd for mid-higher frequencies from the capacitor and the subs perfectly make up for it.

I originally wanted to install with an amp to the front door and rear seat speakers, but I'm not thrilled at the thought of installing it.

Unless there is a far easier way, I think it will require either splicing of the head unit harness speaker wires or running speaker wire from newly installed 4 channel amp in trunk all the way to the front speakers since Pro Audio doesn't have an amp in the back...

Dynavin from what I read on here is 50x4, I wonder how much we would really appreciate the extra 30 watts to the speakers... Also I wonder if there would be a bass boost or just speakers that need to be turned down to match the sub power... idk...

Ahh ok thanks for this mate. I think I am going to go down the amp route and amp the front speaker /tweeter and underseats. The way i plan to do this is to splice the dynavin harness itself . That way im not messing with the cars cable itself. Also the dynavin harness is removeable meaning I can purchase another one if needed. Im going to do this when I get chance. Likely to be mid march. I will let you know how i get on.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 08:59 AM   #15
CO335D
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lockman_321 View Post
Ahh ok thanks for this mate. I think I am going to go down the amp route and amp the front speaker /tweeter and underseats. The way i plan to do this is to splice the dynavin harness itself . That way im not messing with the cars cable itself. Also the dynavin harness is removeable meaning I can purchase another one if needed. Im going to do this when I get chance. Likely to be mid march. I will let you know how i get on.
Have you or anyone tried to use a Technic PnP harness with the Dynavin? I am in the same boat as you are. I want to add a 3-way and amp them, but really want to avoid cutting up my car's harness. Would tapping directly into the Dynavin harness allow you to avoid completely destroying your base audio's existing harness?
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #16
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

If you have one of the newer cars

If you have one of the newer cars where the parallel connection is
between the doors and floor is made at the floor connector the basic
technic harness splits the connection by making a jumper to retain
the connection to the door and gives you another set of wires with
a factory connector to run from the amp you are installing.
Assuming you are running the same underseats.
You can either buy that setup from him or make it yourself if you get
the factory connector and some crimping tools.
He does usually answer his new website address .

http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1411521234
See page 16 on the above link

Last edited by ctuna; 02-25-2016 at 03:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2016, 05:23 PM   #17
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO335D View Post
Have you or anyone tried to use a Technic PnP harness with the Dynavin? I am in the same boat as you are. I want to add a 3-way and amp them, but really want to avoid cutting up my car's harness. Would tapping directly into the Dynavin harness allow you to avoid completely destroying your base audio's existing harness?
I contacted technic and this is what they said

I believe stopping into the dynavin harness would work how I think it will. This image is from the dynavin manual

If you look at the harness B3,B4,B5,B6 are the front speakers. So if you remove the wire on the end that is B block and leave the other end of the wire on the part of the block that connects to the car harness, I think you can then run speaker wire from your amp to the part of the wire that you removed from the B end of the block. This would mean your speaker is connected to the amp through the dynavin block without actually touching the OEM wiring. This is what I plan to do so I hope it works out like I think it will. I can't see why it won't!
Appreciate 0