E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB PCV Valve leaking pressure? Anyone else?

12-11-2015, 06:57 AM   #1
Turkish Mafia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i (6/2007)

RB PCV Valve leaking pressure? Anyone else?

My car has been making a whistling noise at low RPMS for about a month. I finally had a chance to bring her to my mechanic to see what was going on.

The problem was found to be a leak in the PCV valve. I was really surprised to hear this since I have been using the RB PCV valve only for the past 10-15k miles. I thought this was supposed to be an upgraded piece over OEM to prevent this sort of issue.

I am conflicted regarding chalking this up to a manufacturing defect and obtaining another RB PCV valve or using the OEM one (I still have mine).

Any thoughts? Anyone else have the RB PCV valve fail on them?

Some quick background info: FBO (except inlets), PTF protuned 93 octane, turbos replaced under warranty 1 year ago.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 01:56 PM   #2
scottp999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 4runner SR5

Garage List
2007 BMW 335  [9.00]
Have had rb pcv for a bit over a year. No issues. Have you contacted Rob directly to see what he thinks? Early on in the product life, I think people were having install mishaps with using the oe rubber ring. not sure why it would work fine for that many miles and develop an issue. See what Rob says.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 02:22 PM   #3
Turkish Mafia
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i (6/2007)

I emailed Rob a little earlier. He states that of the thousands he's sold, there hasn't been a single issue thus far. I trust his word. It also doesn't make sense to me for the PCV valve to fail...

However, I don't think the problem is an install issue. It doesn't make sense for all this to occur after so much time has elapsed.

I will investigate further.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Monster900
Zeed
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turkish Mafia
I emailed Rob a little earlier. He states that of the thousands he's sold, there hasn't been a single issue thus far. I trust his word. It also doesn't make sense to me for the PCV valve to fail...

However, I don't think the problem is an install issue. It doesn't make sense for all this to occur after so much time has elapsed.

I will investigate further.
I call it BS as I installed RB PVC valve couple of years ago and started blowing oil from underneath of VCG due to pressure buildup. I reinstalled OEM one and everything was good again. Sent it back for full refund.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 01:11 AM   #5
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

I have had the RB PCV valve installed in my car for over 40K miles, if not more and not a single issue whatsoever. You might have just got a "bad apple" since Rob has to source these from the Toyota Supra and not sure who is still making the stock supra pcv valve that rob modifies....
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
rooringhusky
Objects in the mirror are losing
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i E92 AW/CR 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Have had a friend who had one fail on his N54. It made a whistling sound on idle and turns out the sealant/seal failed. All you would have to do is reseal it yourself. We did it on his and he was good to go.

With that said Rob also mentions this item is known as serviceable if I'm not mistaken. Either way just fix it yourself easier than having Rob send you a new one. I'm sure he will if you really want him too though if you send the old one back.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #7
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335I AT, '14 M6 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
I have had the RB PCV valve installed in my car for over 40K miles, if not more and not a single issue whatsoever. You might have just got a "bad apple" since Rob has to source these from the Toyota Supra and not sure who is still making the stock supra pcv valve that rob modifies....
+1.

We have never seen a bad or defective valve. We have had casual dealings with a few consumers over the course of 4 years and ~3,000 unit sales who think otherwise. Even though they represent a lowly .1%, and it is hardly worth the clarification- I can say with certainty that they were wrong about the valve via tests upon return. As stated via email (and above) this PCV Valve is the absolute best money can buy and I've never seen one defected.

But at the end of the day- this is still a PCV Valve. It is not expected to last forever in application. They also can foul due to excess contamination, all engines and exposure rates are different. Granted they should last for 50k miles easily, but due to many things we can never control we recommend changing around 50k mile intervals. Much like that $175 oil change with premium engine oils, the $150 air filters, or the $125 spark plugs; they still will need changing at some point. This is simply a $40 maintenance item that installs onto an automobile engine, a much superior design over the OEM unit which is actually unavailable without buying a entirely new $400 valve cover.

The biggest complaint we have seen or heard bar none has been broken PCV caps, which we can not control. Our RB PCV Cap sales have also grown quite a bit due to this.

Next up is some oddly molded OEM cap castings, that at times can poorly fit the new RB PCV Valve. This is a very easy correction by only needing to do a minor clipping to the "finger edges" that position the valve in the cap. Using our CNC Billet machined RB PCV Screw-On Cap also avoids this possibility as well.

Seldom thereafter is poorly seated valves or damage to the grommets. New grommets can be purchased from Toyota for around $6 if you need one. More on this below.

None of the above were are the valve failing itself.

NOTE: Several months ago we did change up the PCV Valve adaptation design to be more OEM like by using an O-ring and no longer require a separate grommet, it makes them a little easier to install and seat perfectly without much effort. As mentioned above some minor few did have to seem to have some grommet seating issues during installs (or grommet damage over time)- which this should eliminate.

The email I have sent the OP was spot on and 100% accurate, never once has a valve failed to my knowledge to date. But at the same time, due to the fact that it is a maintenance item, if one does that just means it is time to replace it.

Rob
Attached Images

Last edited by Rob@RBTurbo; 12-12-2015 at 11:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

How frequently would the oem vs rb pcv have to be replaced?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 10:21 PM   #9
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by =C= View Post
How frequently would the oem vs rb pcv have to be replaced?
Regardless of style the valve should be replaced around 50k mile intervals. Again this is a maintenance item so there is no amount of money that could buy one that is everlasting.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 02:11 AM   #10
=C=
First Lieutenant
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i M-Sport E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob@RBTurbo View Post
Regardless of style the valve should be replaced around 50k mile intervals. Again this is a maintenance item so there is no amount of money that could buy one that is everlasting.
I don't think this was replaced on my car prior to me buying it, so will definitely be on my item list "soon" as I've owned the car for the last 4 years.
Car has approx 80k miles on it.

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #11
chmerlinn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335

I'm looking to replace mine shortly.. Prob will place an order within the next month Rob. Just curious though, does a new Valve cover come with a new PCV?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #12
TrollToll
Banned
Rep
Drives: 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmerlinn View Post
I'm looking to replace mine shortly.. Prob will place an order within the next month Rob. Just curious though, does a new Valve cover come with a new PCV?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:10 AM   #13
chmerlinn
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yournamehere90 View Post
Yes
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 11:51 AM   #14
smitty513
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

Rob, so the updated valve with o-ring is the same valve, just an oring instead of grommet? Care to inform us of the size of the oring?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #15
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty513 View Post
Rob, so the updated valve with o-ring is the same valve, just an oring instead of grommet? Care to inform us of the size of the oring?
Correct it is entirely the same aside for new style adaptation with O-ring (instead of Grommet). As for the O-ring it is included with the valve for plug and play install.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
DennyD06
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 SGM E92 335i

With you old valves are you suppose to re use the o ring ? I was under the impression that you weren't .
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 10:27 PM   #17
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

I had the same issue, Did u make sure you have the rubber gasket seal on the pcv around the end like the picture shows. When I replaced my valve cover and swapped over the rb pcv valve and such and ended up getting the whistle.. Searched and search. Re trqed the valve cover and all, nothing.removed the pcv valve and found out that when I swapped everything over, the rubber seal was still in the old valve cover. Put it in and problem got solved
Appreciate 1
      12-15-2015, 10:43 PM   #18
B.M.W.
Something Danger Zone
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E46 M3

Quote:
+1.

We have never seen a bad or defective valve. We have had casual dealings with a few consumers over the course of 4 years and ~3,000 unit sales who think otherwise. Even though they represent a lowly .1%, and it is hardly worth the clarification- I can say with certainty that they were wrong about the valve via tests upon return. As stated via email (and above) this PCV Valve is the absolute best money can buy and I've never seen one defected.

This is simply a $40 maintenance item that installs onto an automobile engine, a much superior design over the OEM unit which is actually unavailable without buying a entirely new $400 valve cover.

The biggest complaint we have seen or heard bar none has been broken PCV caps, which we can not control. Our RB PCV Cap sales have also grown quite a bit due to this.

Seldom thereafter is poorly seated valves or damage to the grommets. New grommets can be purchased from Toyota for around $6 if you need one. More on this below.

NOTE: Several months ago we did change up the PCV Valve adaptation design to be more OEM like by using an O-ring and no longer require a separate grommet, it makes them a little easier to install and seat perfectly without much effort. As mentioned above some minor few did have to seem to have some grommet seating issues during installs (or grommet damage over time)- which this should eliminate.
Do you happen to know the part number for the grommet from Toyota? I'm building a list of parts for my car & trying to have a go to instead of asking every time something happens.

My PCV valve did have some issues on my previous car, but it was a first round model & lasted nearly 20k miles. The one you sent back after that I didn't have any problem with other than when my car was deemed totaled and I couldn't get it back.

I'll be ordering one soon again too as to help save my valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #19
mg4734
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M-Sport Coupe

Quote:
+1.

Granted they should last for 50k miles easily, but due to many things we can never control we recommend changing around 50k mile intervals.

Edit: Missed that you covered this already, carry on!
2009 E92 335i M-Sport - MHD Stage One - BMW Performance Exhaust - BMS Oil Catch Can - CDV Delete - K&N Panel Filter - Arc Angel H8 bulbs - Gloss Black Kidney Grills - Painted Reflectors - VRSF Charge Pipe
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 08:21 AM   #20
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

The grommet that was used and pre-equipped on the older style RB PCV is PN 90480-18001. This version some tried to use the O-Ring AND the Grommet, which is not as intended. The Grommet can be harder to seat as well, for some.

(NOTE: NEWER Versions of the RB PCV Valve have OEM style adapters and O-ring, that yes come pre-equpped for hassle free install, as pictured above.)

Just a reminder- PCV's are disposable maintenance items. If in doubt simply replace it.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 01:04 PM   #21
smitty513
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 335i

So it's not possible to remove grommet from valve and install oring as the rear half of updated valve is different?
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2015, 03:02 PM   #22
Rob@RBTurbo
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty513 View Post
So it's not possible to remove grommet from valve and install oring as the rear half of updated valve is different?
The valve is the same however the custom billet CNC adaptation is different. What this means is that you can not convert the valve from Grommet to O-ring style, as the Grommet style custom CNC'd adapter is designed around the use of only the Grommet… whereas the O-ring style custom CNC'd adapter is designed around the use of only the O-ring.

Both work functionally the same.

Thanks,
Rob
Appreciate 0