F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK - Off Topic > do I need to declare all damage/incidents on an insurance form?
proTUNING Freaks

12-10-2015, 03:42 AM   #1
Mrklaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: F30 LCI 320i msport

do I need to declare all damage/incidents on an insurance form?

About to renew and I got to the part where you say whether you've been involved in an accident etc in the last three years. It seems very comprehensive - any damage etc, regardless of whether you made a claim, otherwise your insurance may be invalidated.

so technically a supermarket scrape where some bugger drives off and you're none the wiser should be declared?

I have one where I was hit in a car park and informed the insurance company (because I was told to by the police). But made no claim. It is now showing up as 'open' on my account. I rang them up and they said they'd close it and I didn't have to declare it because there was no claim. But the website suggests I should.

What do you do in these situations?
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #2
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
If in doubt, let them know.They have access to shared data.
Previous.MINI JCW. E92 325i. 435d M235i.M135i. 635d Coupe, E92 M3 manual, E92 M3 DCT Competition Pack. E92 335i, Porsche Cayman S Gen2, 135i Coupe. E92 320d, MK5 R32. MK5 Golf GTi,MK5 Golf GT-TDI,E46 318Ci.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 03:53 AM   #3
x-m4n
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Gran Turismo (F34)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrklaw View Post
I have one where I was hit in a car park and informed the insurance company (because I was told to by the police). But made no claim. It is now showing up as 'open' on my account. I rang them up and they said they'd close it and I didn't have to declare it because there was no claim. But the website suggests I should.
A neighbour scratched my car but he covered the costs - I think it was a mistake for me to ring the insurance company back then as I also had this incident left as "open" claim and the insurer included that in the no claims bonus letter which in turn caused issues when I moved insurers.

I my view they use anything as an excuse to "adjust" the premiums but the suggestion really is to use your best criteria and report incidents you may need the insurance company to cover/get involved.
Appreciate 1
      12-10-2015, 04:22 AM   #4
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

You have to be open.

So any contact with any insurance company needs to be declared.

You have to be careful, as not declaring things can mean that company refusing to insure you.

That would then be another question on the next form - Have you ever been refused insurance'

When I lived in North Yorkshire one of my neighbours failed to inform his insurance of an accident, he was then refused insurance by them, this made him a bit of a hot potato.

If staying with a company, at renewal time it's worth having your file checked, I had an accident logged against mine by 'accident' by the company, was a different car, different part of country.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 05:29 AM   #5
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

As above, tell them absolutely everything. I know someone that failed to inform his insurance company when he got a speeding fine a few months after his policy started. He then wrote his car off in the winter (slid of the road into a ditch and tree). His claim was refused because he didn't notify the insurers of his SP30. He had lawyers and everything to fight it.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 06:38 AM   #6
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

I'd disclose the material facts : mods, licence points, claims, etc.

If you pay someone like ChipsAway to repair minor damage, I wouldn't regard that as material.
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2015, 11:22 AM   #7
Kal101
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335xd Msport +

Garage List
As above. They share data if you've already logged it with your current insurer you may find that your new insurer is still part of the same insurer umbrella cover group or will find out about logged claim anyway

They really are legalised robbers.
      12-13-2015, 02:32 AM   #8
DickieGibbo
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: 2016 F32 435dx Msport Plus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001 View Post
As above. They share data if you've already logged it with your current insurer you may find that your new insurer is still part of the same insurer umbrella cover group or will find out about logged claim anyway

As per the to programme watchdog, two weeks ago, even if you call them for advice and don't make a claim, this will be logged on your record and usually affects the algorithms and may increase your premiums. You therefore need to disclose as you will be on the MIAFTR database noting the incident.

As stated they are legalised robbers if you go direct, whereas as the programme stated use an insurance broker where policies can still be underwritten with a pragmatic approach.

Dickie
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 03:26 AM   #9
SkyJawa
Major General
Rep
Drives: F10 530d

If it was a supermarket scrape you fixed without involving the ins co I fail to see why you'd need to declare it. But if you claimed to fix then you would.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 03:53 AM   #10
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: xxxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyJawa View Post
If it was a supermarket scrape you fixed without involving the ins co I fail to see why you'd need to declare it. But if you claimed to fix then you would.
Pretty much, however if the other cars owner informed their insurance and passed your details (but did not claim) then you may have an entry on your policy.
Appreciate 1
      12-13-2015, 11:06 AM   #11
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal001 View Post
+1

And anything at all is an excuse for them to bump your premium.
  • Do bears shit in the woods? Load premium.
  • Does the earth orbit the sun? Load premium.

...you get the picture.

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 1