E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Rainbow IL-C8.3 BMW Comp. set

12-03-2015, 12:11 PM   #1
TheDako
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive

Rainbow IL-C8.3 BMW Comp. set

Hi all,
Just put a Bimmertech amp/dsp in my car and what a difference!!! I am now yearning for better sound quality. I was wondering if anyone has any opinions on the Rainbow integrated component set IL-C8.3? Any thoughts on quality, sound etc. on this set? I am looking to upgrade my speakers and want something that plops right in. I have the 676 Hifi option if that helps. Price is not as important as is quality of sound. Any opinions some of you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Dave
Appreciate 1
      12-03-2015, 12:18 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Not much feedback on that I have seen here.

Not much feedback on that I have seen here..
If you are buying a three way kit Jehnert or Gladen seem
to be the ones that are most used and considered
a quality set. There are already tunes that exist for the
Jehnerts I believe . I would talk to the guys in the Bimmertech
thread about getting the tune for those.
Rainbow used to get solid reviews for the speakers you could
put in the doors but Morels and Jehnerts were the preferred
speakers at that time.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Plenty of great speakers out there. The problem mainly has been finding a set that simply drops in.

Following the links in the Audio Sticky above, there's 2 Rainbow sets that are likely discontinued;

- Rainbow SLC 210.25 NG
- Top Mount Depth: 46 mm
- Fits e90: Y
- Fits e92/93: Y (custom adapter/spacer required)
- Product Link: http://195.243.203.21/rainbow/techni...221111&lan=ENG
- Installation Link: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451762

- Rainbow CS 210 Vanadium / Vanadium Cross / Profi
- Top Mount Depth: 50 mm
- Fits e90: Y
- Fits e92/93: N (only fits top-mounted to door panel or with HEAVY modifications to speaker grille and custom adapter)
- Product Link: http://www.rainbowcaraudio.com/speakers.html

... and I'd be willing to bet most of your newer model lines would have a bit of difficulty fitting. (Though, I very well could be wrong)
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 02:56 AM   #4
mightycrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: f31 320d black sport

I found that theses speakers are very alike, just with a little difference. I heard gladen , rainbow and eton. I prefer Eton.
Rainbow is great. I have 8 inch woofers for the underseats, 4 inch ones for the rears. Got Focal K2 100 KRS for the fronts, they really sound goood. Especially if you tune them well with the bimmer DSP. However you may feel that the 8 inch woofers demand more power than what the DSP amp offers.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
TheDako
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i Xdrive

Thanks for the input everyone. I have decided that for now, I will just enjoy the huge improvement the Bimmertech amp/dsp has brought me. It really has made a huge difference. Anyone who is on the fence and looking for easy install and great sound, this unit is a must have. I will wait a couple of months and continue to research the options available.

Thanks everyone

DAK
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 07:24 AM   #6
cdgatti
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 328i

If you haven't already make sure to RTA the system you may be able to get some better range out of those stock speakers.

Another trick I performed with my helix unit was after time aligning the door mids R/L, I played a 200Hz tone through each mid and corresponding side underseat woofer and adjusted the time alignment of the underseat woofer to be time aligned at approximately the crossover frequency. This made a huge difference in making each mid and underseat sound like it is all one speaker coming from the front of the car.
OEM Black grill and Blackline tails - LCI halogens with Lux V2 coded as DRL - 3M Crystalline - BMS PBX - OEM Euro Airbox with K&N - Hardwired CTEK - Bilstein B6 w/OEM springs and SP perches - Conti DWS06 - HiFi-Helix DSP - JLAudio HD/XD-Morel - CD changer trim - AE optical out
Appreciate 0