F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Auto Windshield Wiper Sensitivity
proTUNING Freaks

11-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #1
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i Gran Coupe (2015)

Auto Windshield Wiper Sensitivity

Can anyone tell me how to increase the sensitivity of the Auto Windshield Wipers? I have the sensitivity knob turned all the way up!

Is there a way to code it higher?? I am sitting sometimes with the rain drizzling on the windshield and without it going on.
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
I'm assuming you push the button at the end of the stalk each time you want to use the auto function? My last car, and my other car, you can leave it in "Auto" all the time--not the case with the F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 02:40 PM   #3
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I'm assuming you push the button at the end of the stalk each time you want to use the auto function? My last car, and my other car, you can leave it in "Auto" all the time--not the case with the F30.
Yep, have to push to button so that the "Auto" light illuminates. Which I kinda find weird for an "Auto" Wiping function?? Isn't that really manual wiping. LOL
My Ride! : 2015 428i GC (F36) - MSport, Alpine, Black Leather, MBrakes, Adaptive, Sport Seats, Hex. Alum w/Piano, HK Sound, 400m's, Comfort Acc. When I’m not Driving: https://youtube.com/shorts/ViKD_Hj5htE?feature=share
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 03:51 PM   #4
Fronzdan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '24 M240 xDrive

But this wasn't your original question was it? You were asking about sensitivity once auto is on. Anyone who's ever driven in drizzly mist, including me, has the same complaint. It's just not sensitive enough. I wish there was a timed intermittent, as well as rain sensing mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I could be wrong, but I seem to have noticed that the wiper calibrates to the amount of water on the windshield when you touch the auto button. It then will re-wipe when that amount of water is reached again. I won't swear to it, I avoid driving in the rain when possible. To the extent that I have driven in the rain I like it much better than a standard intermittent, as it changes the wipe frequency as the rainfall varies in intensity.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz
I could be wrong, but I seem to have noticed that the wiper calibrates to the amount of water on the windshield when you touch the auto button. It then will re-wipe when that amount of water is reached again. I won't swear to it, I avoid driving in the rain when possible. To the extent that I have driven in the rain I like it much better than a standard intermittent, as it changes the wipe frequency as the rainfall varies in intensity.
The little thumb switch on the front of the stalk. UP, more sensitive. DOWN, less sensitive.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 05:42 PM   #7
rolltidef32
National Championship #17 and Counting!
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW i3s and 2019 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc
Quote:
Yep, have to push to button so that the "Auto" light illuminates. Which I kinda find weird for an "Auto" Wiping function?? Isn't that really manual wiping. LOL
No, that wouldn't be good either.

If Auto was on by default, how could you ever wash your car? Any water hitting the windshield doesn't mean it's raining.

When misting out, I put it in Auto mode, but still pull down on the stalk to manually give it a short wipe. If you have it on the highest setting, that's the best it gets.

Works well most of the time.

Packs: Technology, Driver Assistance, HK Audio, Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #8
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by philbake View Post
The little thumb switch on the front of the stalk. UP, more sensitive. DOWN, less sensitive.
I thought that was the sensitivity switch. But to me those 3 settings are exactly the same LOL.

Even at the "lowest sensitivity" setting, the wiper will go crazy at 80mph even tho there is really not much rain. It gets very annoying, to the point that i have to turn the Auto off and do it "manually"

Or did it do it wrong? You leave it in Auto then adjust the little switch right?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 06:31 PM   #9
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32 View Post

If Auto was on by default, how could you ever wash your car? Any water hitting the windshield doesn't mean it's raining.

When misting out, I put it in Auto mode, but still pull down on the stalk to manually give it a short wipe. If you have it on the highest setting, that's the best it gets.

I usually have my car off when I am washing it. I guess I am used to the Auto Wipers in my VW Tiguan, which had a physical stalk position for auto, so as long as it was in that position the AUTO was ON. Here you have to switch it on every time you get in the car or it starts to rain, kinda defeats the purpose of auto wiping, almost like having to press a button every time you get in to place your Headlights in Auto mode.

I find my screen covered in rain, to the point I can't see out of it, at the highest sensitivity.

I know in Coding there is way to adjust the auto headlight sensitivity, I almost swear that there was a way to code the wipers too?
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 06:41 PM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolltidef32
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc
Quote:

What do you mean? If you go to the car wash, you switch the wiper stalk from Auto to Off. That's how my last car worked and I never had an issue in 8 years. The one time I left the wipers in Auto in a car wash, I turned it off immediately after one swipe.

You don't switch your headlights to Auto every time it gets dark.
Appreciate 2
      11-10-2015, 06:58 PM   #11
oonowindoo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i RWD

what are you guys talking about?

My F30 and F36 do not remember my Auto wiper setting every time i turn off the car. So unless you are washing your car in the rain otherwise it should never be an issue.

or were you guys talking about some other car?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 07:02 PM   #12
jtmann
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 428i Gran Coupe

I find myself pushing the auto button off and then on again a lot in stop and go traffic, just to make it wipe once.
Appreciate 1
      11-10-2015, 09:06 PM   #13
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
What do you mean? If you go to the car wash, you switch the wiper stalk from Auto to Off. That's how my last car worked and I never had an issue in 8 years. The one time I left the wipers in Auto in a car wash, I turned it off immediately after one swipe.

You don't switch your headlights to Auto every time it gets dark.
The Stalk option wasn't explained. Only thing said was auto was on all the time.

I hand wash and detail my car, but many go through machines, and having auto be a switch at the stalk is exactly what we have; it's just a button press. Guess we're in the Jetsons where pressing buttons is exhausting.

Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 09:09 PM   #14
rolltidef32
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtmann View Post
I find myself pushing the auto button off and then on again a lot in stop and go traffic, just to make it wipe once.
You can just pull down on the stalk to make it run one wipe. I do that a lot in traffic also when it's a light drizzle.

Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 06:47 AM   #15
ft1330
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
Can anyone tell me how to increase the sensitivity of the Auto Windshield Wipers? I have the sensitivity knob turned all the way up!

Is there a way to code it higher?? I am sitting sometimes with the rain drizzling on the windshield and without it going on.
I have the same problem and there is nothing you can do about it. This is one option that doesn't work well
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:06 AM   #16
versailles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32

Iv noticed both issues and it's extremely annoying. My last Audi was much more sensitive and could be left on auto all the time, anyone know why BMW have it set like this?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:08 AM   #17
cmplaya
Captain
Rep
Drives: B58

yea i just want interval wiper with fixed several second delay between wipes like my 12 year old Honda that would also do an extra wipe everytime you released foot of brake and car anticipated you moving again. it seems like either way too fast or nothing at all
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #18
philbake
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 640i GT/2017 X5 40e

Garage List
2023 BMW i4 e40  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oonowindoo
Quote:
Originally Posted by philbake View Post
I thought that was the sensitivity switch. But to me those 3 settings are exactly the same LOL.

Even at the "lowest sensitivity" setting, the wiper will go crazy at 80mph even tho there is really not much rain. It gets very annoying, to the point that i have to turn the Auto off and do it "manually"

Or did it do it wrong? You leave it in Auto then adjust the little switch right?
It's also speed sensitive. If you're driving faster, wipes are more frequent. In the end though, it's the mix between the setting you choose, your speed and the amount of water hitting the glass. Also, be careful if you need to replace the windshield that you're getting the correct glass.
Appreciate 1
      11-11-2015, 08:01 AM   #19
DanITman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

The sensitivity can be calibrated on the fly. While driving the car move the sensitive switch to the lowest position (all the way down). Wait for a wipe. Then move it all the way back up to the most sensitive position. Now it will be more responsive to a light drizzle.
Appreciate 5
      11-11-2015, 08:54 AM   #20
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

i try to use rain x or something like that too so this is not an issue. RainX clears what the wipers miss.
      11-11-2015, 09:08 AM   #21
DJ Rocc
Major
Jamaica
Rep

Yeah at the very least give us the option to have the Windshield Wiper Auto function, on by default or not. Like the menu item in idrive for daylight driving lights on or off.

Right next to the menu Item to Default the Auto Start/Stop System OFF or Not! LOL (had my programmed to default off, so this doesn't bother me any more)
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2015, 09:28 AM   #22
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rocc View Post
Yeah at the very least give us the option to have the Windshield Wiper Auto function, on by default or not. Like the menu item in idrive for daylight driving lights on or off.

Right next to the menu Item to Default the Auto Start/Stop System OFF or Not! LOL (had my programmed to default off, so this doesn't bother me any more)
My Auto Stop/Start remembers the last setting, unless you switch to Eco Pro or Sport.
Appreciate 1