F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > why did this happen?
ARMA SPEED

10-27-2015, 09:57 AM   #1
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport

I was driving in comfort mode with the shifter on D and I needed to accelerate quickly so I increased throttle and the car accelerated quickly but it got stuck on 7000 rpm and speed stopped increasing :

I didn't notice at first because I was focusing on the road and the stupid people I had to move away from to avoid any accidents

once I noticed the car noise I decreased speed and everything was back to normal

for some reason the car didn't shift to the next gear and stayed on really high rpm, but why? :
(2014 335i m sport)
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:31 AM   #2
raqautle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i X-Drive M Sport EBII

Garage List
Maybe the car thought u were going to accelerate some more but if it went to 7k and stayed there, it seems it was in manual, I'm not sure about standard but if u have the SAT with paddles, it doesn't up shift for u
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:40 AM   #3
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep

it wasn't in manual or anything, everything was on the normal setting. it was weird that it stayed on the same gear and didn't up shift , I don't know if I should be worried that something is wrong with the transmission.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

If the circumstances were indeed exactly as you claim then yes, something is wrong with your transmission.

However I find it odd that you don't report the throttle cutting out, which the engine would do in a potential overrev situtation, if you were still trying accelerate when the transmission hit 7000 rpm. Normally what you'd see if you were aggressively applying gas is the engine hitting whatever the max rpm is, throttle cutting out, revs falling, throttle coming back, hitting max rpm again, rinse and repeat. Commonly called bouncing off the rev limiter.

In your case you are saying you hit 7k rpm and the engine and transmission simply sat there. So I'm not 100% on board with your description of what happened.
Appreciate 1
      10-27-2015, 11:00 AM   #5
jelecroy
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i, 2014 328i

Garage List
2013 BMW 328i  [0.00]
This could happen if the transmission went into 7th gear when you accelerated. It would stay in that gear until you relaxed throttle pressure. The reason is because the transmission is not rated to carry full engine torque in top gear. To protect the gears from overloading, the transmission controller won't shift up to the top gear if the engine torque exceeds safe limits.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:01 AM   #6
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil
If the circumstances were indeed exactly as you claim then yes, something is wrong with your transmission.

However I find it odd that you don't report the throttle cutting out, which the engine would do in a potential overrev situtation, if you were still trying accelerate when the transmission hit 7000 rpm. Normally what you'd see if you were aggressively applying gas is the engine hitting whatever the max rpm is, throttle cutting out, revs falling, throttle coming back, hitting max rpm again, rinse and repeat. Commonly called bouncing off the rev limiter.

In your case you are saying you hit 7k rpm and the engine and transmission simply sat there. So I'm not 100% on board with your description of what happened.
I didn't notice the hitting Max coming back bouncing rev limiter, I don't know if it happened, as soon as I realised I was at 7k rpm and car speed not increasing I removed my foot completely from the gas pedal and decreased the speed which decreased rpm after which the car down shifted and I tried accelerating again to test if it doesn't up shift , but it did and it was normal again

I didn't get any message in the idrive screen and the temperature was normal, I will add this to the list of things to be checked on her next appointment which is November
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:07 AM   #7
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelecroy
This could happen if the transmission went into 7th gear when you accelerated. It would stay in that gear until you relaxed throttle pressure. The reason is because the transmission is not rated to carry full engine torque in top gear. To protect the gears from overloading, the transmission controller won't shift up to the top gear if the engine torque exceeds safe limits.
isn't it 8 gears?

that was my first thought , that it was on last gear but I don't think it was because the speed wasn't high enough to need the last gear for speeding but I don't know :
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelecroy View Post
7th gear and 7000 RPM??? I think the speedo limiter would take over first. Ive never gotten close to 7K in 7th gear.
      10-27-2015, 11:59 AM   #9
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Are you sure you didnt accidentally tap your paddle shifter? Even if you l are in auto mode, it locks you in manual mode for a few seconds.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:46 PM   #10
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai View Post
Are you sure you didnt accidentally tap your paddle shifter? Even if you are in auto mode, it locks you in manual mode for a few seconds.
Similar thought in my mind, as one possibility.

The other possibility I'm aware of, is related to what the OP does say his next action was after hitting 7k.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDarkUnicorn View Post
I didn't notice the hitting Max coming back bouncing rev limiter, I don't know if it happened, as soon as I realised I was at 7k rpm and car speed not increasing I removed my foot completely from the gas pedal and decreased the speed which decreased rpm after which the car down shifted and I tried accelerating again to test if it doesn't up shift , but it did and it was normal again.
There is a feature that suppresses the upshift if we do lift off quickly, anticipates a braking action. Not saying that this happened, but could it be a possibility? A partial lift off during the acceleration, or a sort of panic reaction when noticing it on the limit.

I recall when first finding the feature on my E39 540i, thought it was a fault until I read up on it. We can suppress automatic upshifts it we want to, or the 'box will hang on to the high revs if we lift off at the wrong time.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post

The other possibility I'm aware of, is related to what the OP does say his next action was after hitting 7k.

There is a feature that suppresses the upshift if we do lift off quickly, anticipates a braking action. Not saying that this happened, but could it be a possibility? A partial lift off during the acceleration, or a sort of panic reaction when noticing it on the limit.

I recall when first finding the feature on my E39 540i, thought it was a fault until I read up on it. We can suppress automatic upshifts it we want to, or the 'box will hang on to the high revs if we lift off at the wrong time.

HighlandPete
+1

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #12
Bols
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: F36 AW 6MT

Quote:
HighlandPete
+1 seems likely.

I've had a different but similar pretty dumb situation. In the previous gen X5 of my dad I would rest my hand on the stick kinda similar to in the manual. Apparently you can push it into neutral just like that lol car started revving while just traveling 60mph and didn't even have an idea that I did that until it happened again a few days later Just needed a really small nudge.. Perhaps the same with the paddles?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:46 PM   #13
Buckeyes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M Sport

7000 rpm in 7th gear? Not happening
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #14
chiefneil
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Are you sure you didnt accidentally tap your paddle shifter? Even if you l are in auto mode, it locks you in manual mode for a few seconds.
It would still upshift at redline unless you went to dsc+; I think you have to hold down the traction control button for several seconds to activate that mode.

As others have said, it was mostly likely approaching redline from hard acceleration followed by a sudden lift off the gas.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 02:17 PM   #15
5ilver-5amurai
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil View Post
It would still upshift at redline unless you went to dsc+; I think you have to hold down the traction control button for several seconds to activate that mode.

As others have said, it was mostly likely approaching redline from hard acceleration followed by a sudden lift off the gas.
I guess the real question is how long did it stay at ~7000 rpm, albeit RPM started dropping once OP lifted their foot off the pedal. I know that feeling when the engine revs higher than it should because it either prematurely downshifts or doesn't upshift fast enough. But it's usually a very short lived time at a high rpm before a shift is forced.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #16
raqautle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 340i X-Drive M Sport EBII

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefneil

I did that in my car before in first gear, forgot to shift, the rpm's didn't bounce, they stayed there and the car didn't accelerate
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:21 PM   #17
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ilver-5amurai
I don't have the paddles sifters
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2015, 07:26 PM   #18
SeanWRT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 & F87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by raqautle
Maybe the car thought u were going to accelerate some more but if it went to 7k and stayed there, it seems it was in manual, I'm not sure about standard but if u have the SAT with paddles, it doesn't up shift for u
It should auto shift at close to red line even if it's in manual.
      10-28-2015, 07:28 PM   #19
DaDarkUnicorn
Private First Class
Bahrain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete
Quote:
Are you sure you didnt accidentally tap your paddle shifter? Even if you are in auto mode, it locks you in manual mode for a few seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDarkUnicorn View Post
I didn't notice the hitting Max coming back bouncing rev limiter, I don't know if it happened, as soon as I realised I was at 7k rpm and car speed not increasing I removed my foot completely from the gas pedal and decreased the speed which decreased rpm after which the car down shifted and I tried accelerating again to test if it doesn't up shift , but it did and it was normal again.

HighlandPete
I was slowly increasing the throttle it was when I noticed it at 7k I immediately removed my foot and braked a bit to decrease rpm

but I don't really know why it happened , it didn't happen again today, though I noticed something I could be wrong but when I drive in sport mode then change back to comfort after a while , it shows that I'm in comfort mode but it feels that I'm in sport mode, but could be just a feeling idk
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:29 AM   #20
LUV335
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 335i MPPK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaDarkUnicorn
I was driving in comfort mode with the shifter on D and I needed to accelerate quickly so I increased throttle and the car accelerated quickly but it got stuck on 7000 rpm and speed stopped increasing :

I didn't notice at first because I was focusing on the road and the stupid people I had to move away from to avoid any accidents

once I noticed the car noise I decreased speed and everything was back to normal

for some reason the car didn't shift to the next gear and stayed on really high rpm, but why? :
(2014 335i m sport)
The only time it will not upshift at redline is if it was in manual and sport+ mode. Having said that after 30,000 miles of driving I have had maybe couple of occasions when the transmission did not behave intuitively (like why are you holding this gear, shift up u dumass!) My guess is that there is a lot of logic behind the auto transmission. BMW couldn't possibly simulate every scenario to test the logic. I don't think its anything to do with your transmission going bad...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:49 AM   #21
xG35c
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Quote:
Yes, this is what happens - I also frequently find myself having to floor the car to get away from stupid people, and I just use the upshift paddle to manually get back to a cruising gear quicker!
Appreciate 0