F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Please Advise - 335i - M Sport with Perf Kit, Perf Exhaust, and HK Audio
GetBMWParts

10-26-2015, 12:57 PM   #1
KidneyG
Registered
Rep
Drives: 335i

Please Advise - 335i - M Sport with Perf Kit, Perf Exhaust, and HK Audio

Hello All,

I'm looking at 2 cars that are very similarly configured. However, neither of them have all the options I want. My question is which of these would be easier/less costly to add the options that the other car doesn't have?

What I'm after is a 335i xdrive with M-Sport, Perf Kit & Exhaust, HK Audio, and All Season tires.

Would it be better to get Car #1 and replace the tires and have the performance kit installed?

Or

Would it be better to get Car #2 and have the performance exhaust installed and upgrade the audio system?

Car #1: 2015
- HK Audio
- Exhaust Kit, but no Power Kit
- M Sport Brakes
- Hands-free Bluetooth and USB
- Performance tires (I want All Season)
- M Sport
- Premium Package
- Dynamic Handling Package (M Suspension) hard ride?
- Sport Automatic Transmission

Car #2: 2014
- Technology Package
- Power Kit, but no Power Exhaust
- All Season tires (which is my preference)
- M Sport
- Premium Package
- Dynamic Handling Package (M Suspension) hard ride?
- Sport Automatic Transmission

Thanks for any input.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:07 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Wow...tuff choice! I personally would go with car #2 and upgrade Audio system with BimmerTech's upgrade amp solution...

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:39 PM   #3
Toybota
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi 6MT M Sport

If car #1 doesn't have the technology package, I'd go with #2 and go with ronanz's suggestion.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
codeyf
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M Comp

Ditto on tech package. That was a must for me as the standard / non-nav screen looks like such an afterthought. You can also add the exhaust at any time, on your own without paying dealer install fees (assuming you're handy). So watch the secondary market for a used one.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 02:17 PM   #5
Beowulf65
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 435i xDrive Gran Coupé

Garage List
I am quite happy with the HK Audio, so unless you are interested in a specific option included with the Tech package, I would get the 2015 (newer car) and install the performance package. The 2015 also has the M Sport brakes, which may be preferable with the extra power. As to the tires, you may be able to get the dealer to do a straight swap for you...mine did.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:06 PM   #6
bad karma
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i F31 M-Sport

The M-Sport brakes will not impact stopping power for non-track use, at least in any appreciable way (frankly, tires have more to do with than then brakes do, unless you are pushing them hard for extended periods). That said, they are a nice cosmetic upgrade.

The lack of a tech package kills it for me, though. The iDrive cluster is so...shitty...when it has the tiny little screen and no Nav/extended audio integration for BMW Apps. I'd go with Car 2 and retrofit exhaust. The base Hi-Fi system responds quite well to aftermarket modification. Look up Musicar NW or BimmerTech for clean/OEM-like upgrade options.

That said, Harmon/Kardon is damn nice.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2015, 03:50 PM   #7
KidneyG
Registered
Rep

Thanks all, this is VERY helpful. I'm finding myself having to make a decision in less time than I'd like. So these opinions are really valuable. I drove Car #2, and really liked it. But the HIFI system is not good enough for me. I have been a musician all my life, and I need detailed, powerful audio in my car. I did not enjoy the sound of the HIFI system. I can't deal with it long term.

I've read some scary stuff about aftermarket installs on some other posts. That makes me pretty nervous, unless I'm able to find a really reputable shop. The performance kit and exhaust seem a lot less risky as they are fully supported by BMW and lots of dealers and independent shops can do the work.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:42 AM   #8
codeyf
Private First Class
Rep

FWIW, the thread(s) I've read on the aftermarket audio upgrades, like the BimmerTech that [bad karma] mentioned, said that they're super easy to do and in the end absolutely blow away the HK system. That being said, I don't find these cars to be all that quiet at speed on the highway. Add in the desire for the performance exhaust, and it isn't exactly a sound studio like environment.

As far as installing an exhaust, if you're handy with pretty basic tools and have either ramps or the jack adapters, you should be able to do that yourself. The PPK however would most likely be done by a dealer/shop.

With the non tech package screen though, since they didn't design it to fold down or retract, it's such an eyesore imho which can't be swapped out cheaply later on.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 10:56 AM   #9
KidneyG
Registered
Rep

Yep, since yesterday I've done some more reading. I looked at the Bimmertech and Musicar stuff. I could do that myself. Good point about the noise the car would generate on its own. I don't want it sound perfect, I just would like it to be loud and clear. Instead of weak, piercing, and flubbery.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 11:53 AM   #10
codeyf
Private First Class
Rep

What is the mileage and price on the two? Color combination?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2015, 12:36 PM   #11
fusion0389
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 328i xDrive M Sport

Car #2, upgrading audio is fairly simple\plug and play. The Dynamic Handling Package is a must have on any xDrive, take it from someone who has it
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #12
KidneyG
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad karma View Post
The M-Sport brakes will not impact stopping power for non-track use, at least in any appreciable way (frankly, tires have more to do with than then brakes do, unless you are pushing them hard for extended periods). That said, they are a nice cosmetic upgrade.

The lack of a tech package kills it for me, though. The iDrive cluster is so...shitty...when it has the tiny little screen and no Nav/extended audio integration for BMW Apps. I'd go with Car 2 and retrofit exhaust. The base Hi-Fi system responds quite well to aftermarket modification. Look up Musicar NW or BimmerTech for clean/OEM-like upgrade options.

That said, Harmon/Kardon is damn nice.
Thanks for the tip on the tech package. You are right, looking at cars with and without, I surely prefer the larger and more useful screen.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 06:53 PM   #13
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I'm a driver. Car #1.
M-Performance brakes.

You can always get them later for $2K
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0