F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > N55 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Dinan Stage 2 EWG/MPPK vs EWG only
ARMA SPEED

10-20-2015, 02:03 PM   #1
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Convertible

Dinan Stage 2 EWG/MPPK vs EWG only

I do not have the MPPK and recently had the Dinan Stage 2 installed...

1) Any chance of my dealer installing the Dinantronics Stage 2 for EWG AND MPPK instead of Stage 2 for EWG only?

Part numbers D440-1641-ST2 and D440-1639-ST2, respectively.

2) And if they did, would it matter?

Thanks!
      10-20-2015, 02:34 PM   #2
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

I'd hold off on MPPK, save your money and go straight to Dinantronics S4 (if you plan on staying the Dinantronics route).

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2015, 02:38 PM   #3
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep

Thanks, ronanz but that's not the issue. I do not have, nor do I want, MPPK...

I think they installed the wrong variant of the software and I want to know if it matters... Below is the response I got from Dinan:

"For record keeping purposes and long term health of the car it would probably be better to go back to the dealer and have the box reprogrammed to the correct software but it is not absolutely necessary.

The car will run fine with the MPPK variant of software you have on there now though. Difference being it is running a bit more boost then we would like for that setup (hence the long term health comment) but it will function with no running problems. You would not be achieving the same gains as what is reported for that software either as the base numbers are lower not having MPPK."
      10-20-2015, 04:43 PM   #4
chutak
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, X3 M40i

If Dinan says it's fine then I wouldn't worry about it. More boost is better anyway... you're backed by the full Dinan warranty. Just in case, hang on to that email.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep

@chutak , I agree... We surmised that HP was probably accurate between the two tunes (382-384) and torque was somewhere between (417-455)...

Looks like it's time to hit the dyno
      10-21-2015, 05:56 AM   #6
CIWS
Moon Parasite
United_States
Rep
Drives: F98 X4M Competition

If you have a question about which version of software was installed I would take it back to them and have them verify which was done, you paid for it and the job should be done correctly. If they did install the wrong version they should install the correct software for no charge.
Although someone there at Dinan is telling you it should "probably" be OK but also uses terms like "for the long term health of the car" you should get the correct version, to me that's like my doctor telling me I should only worry about taking amphetamines if I'm concerned about my long term health, in the short term I'm going to feel great. "We" all like to talk about how Dinan engineers their products for the best performance and reliability. If you're not using it as it was designed and what it was designed for that seems to defeat the purpose.

My opinion, and it's only that, is if you have a question about it get it verified as to what the situation is and if it's not correct get them to make it that way. Again that's what you paid them for. Not to make a potential mistake that "could affect the long term health of the car"

2020 X4M Comp. (currently stock) - Was 2015 335 MSport -MPPK -Borla ATAK -Dinan Sport+ - E.R. Charge pipe / 2013 X1 35i Sport - Dinan tune / 2009 X6 50i Dinan badged
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2015, 01:01 PM   #7
robbymiami
Private
United_States
Rep

CIWS Well said. You make some very good points. I'll be sure to head down to the dealership soon.

Appreciate the reply.
      10-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

"Don't worry about it...you're fine. But you can go and get it corrected if you want. But it's not necessary." is basically Dinan's way of saying "There's really no difference between the two, but we put two versions out there to make people think there is. You don't have to waste your time, but if it's going to help you sleep better at night, feel free to take it in."
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #9
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbymiami View Post
Thanks, ronanz but that's not the issue. I do not have, nor do I want, MPPK...

I think they installed the wrong variant of the software and I want to know if it matters... Below is the response I got from Dinan:

"For record keeping purposes and long term health of the car it would probably be better to go back to the dealer and have the box reprogrammed to the correct software but it is not absolutely necessary.

The car will run fine with the MPPK variant of software you have on there now though. Difference being it is running a bit more boost then we would like for that setup (hence the long term health comment) but it will function with no running problems. You would not be achieving the same gains as what is reported for that software either as the base numbers are lower not having MPPK."

In my experience you will also have issues if your dealer makes a dumb mistake and puts the wrong wastegate type DPT on your car. First dealer I went to ordered and installed my S1 for my car, couple months later started running into problems and went to another dealer to check on them and upgrade to S2. Turns out the initial installer dealer put an EWG unit+harness on my MWG car, how they did that I have no idea but they got me a new unit and harness from Dinan CA and reinstalled for just the cost of the software upgrade to S2.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 09:02 AM   #10
zxtman
Private
Rep
Drives: 435i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
...save your money and go straight to Dinantronics S4.
What's Dinantronics S4?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:27 AM   #11
cryptocar
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 385xi VNV Speed Custom

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtman
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronanz View Post
...save your money and go straight to Dinantronics S4.
What's Dinantronics S4?
Since there are only 2 stages for the N55 I assume he means stage 2 and that was a typo.
13' 335xi, ACF Tuned, ACF Stage 3 Turbo Kit (67mm),PDU PI, ACF Stage 4 LPFP, M-Perf Brakes, AEM CM10 Meth/Nitro, CG DR-1 + VS-1 3.5" Turboback, AFe S2 CAI+Ram Scoop, ER Chargepipe, Wagner EVOII Comp. FMIC, Stop-Tech SS Brake Lines, BMS Sport Oil Cooler Valve+Spacers F10mm R15mm, 19" Bridgestone Potenzas, KW EDC Coilovers, CF Seibon Hood + CSL trunk. Track:Pagid Race Pads, Stop-Tech Custom Pads Front+Rear Racing Tow Hooks
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2015, 10:53 AM   #12
ronanz
Gettin It Figured Out
United_States
Rep
Drives: 435i FBO PS2 bm3 w/ options

Quote:
Originally Posted by zxtman View Post
What's Dinantronics S4?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptocar View Post
Since there are only 2 stages for the N55 I assume he means stage 2 and that was a typo.
No typo, upcoming packages will be S3, S4 and I believe S5. S4 is supposed to be Turbo and FMIC upgrade.

My Build Thread can be found HERE
Appreciate 1