E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Eonon GA5165F discussion

10-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #1
jonknick
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i x-drive

Eonon GA5165F discussion

Hello guys. I am a new member and new to the BMW community as a whole. I have had a 2011 e92 328i for about a month now and it has been driving me crazy that I don't have bluetooth in the car. So...

I have base audio (professional), which I am very underwhelmed by and surprised BMW released a system so "subpar," I guess to my liking.

I had an Eonon unit in my mazda that I traded in for the e92, and it worked perfectly, did everything I wanted and was affordable.

I am very interested in this Android alternative to an in dash screen and would like to see if this community had some input about the unit itself. I understand Dynavin is different and maybe better quality, but I'd like to stay focused on information about this system.

I ordered this week and will post my install progress when I do it.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #2
Wongway
Captain
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Read the comments in this youtube video. Should be all you need from there (Also echos a lot of folk's comments about Eonon.)

(You'll have to watch the video at youtube.com to see the comments below the video)

Feel free to go cheap, you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2015, 05:48 PM   #3
jonknick
Rep

Thanks Wrongway. I have seen quite a bit of information about the D5165 - and definitely a lot of negative. But this is the newer version of that. I also don't have the SOS or the fiber optic because I have a 3/2010 built base/ professional radio setup (no amp).
I believe those seem to be the biggest issues with the old unit.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 08:04 PM   #4
jonknick
Rep

Update- package received, installed

So, the unit shipped from Belgium, arrived in 6 days. Opened it up and found that it had all of the parts that I expected it to have:

It's interesting to note that I have not seen anything that says Eonon on it. Don't know why, I bought it on eBay so I guess it could be anything.

I installed most of the unit and not seeing any problems. I have not installed any iPod interface, navi, USB or really anything other than the unit itself plugged into the harness.

When I first installed it, there were like 5 lights that illuminated on the dash. I drove the car and the lights went off immediately.

Problems I am having:

The date and time will not store and the thing reboots every time the car goes to sleep (I know this is a common problem) and will try to find a constant fuse this weekend.

Need to make adjustments for better fitment. I will be making adjustments to how it sits in there to be more flush.

All in all, given the limited amount of use on basically half of the unit being installed, I'm happy and feeling like this can be an okay permanent option.

Attached is the instruction manual that came loaded on the head unit.

Interested in hearing your guys comments and questions as I stand to learn a lot from you guys in by way of your questions and my finding out through trial.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf instructions(1) 1.pdf (1.89 MB, 394 views)

Last edited by jonknick; 10-29-2015 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: photo
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2015, 09:54 PM   #5
Zack77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Garage List
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
There isn't much on the Eonon products here, but there's quite a bit of support over at e46fanatics forums; a lot of useful information for the android unit which is basically the same internals as the e90 unit.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #6
Huku
Dedicated bimmer
Bulgaria
Rep
Drives: 320i/2008-automatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonknick View Post
So, the unit shipped from Belgium, arrived in 6 days. Opened it up and found that it had all of the parts that I expected it to have:

It's interesting to note that I have not seen anything that says Eonon on it. Don't know why, I bought it on eBay so I guess it could be anything.

I installed most of the unit and not seeing any problems. I have not installed any iPod interface, navi, USB or really anything other than the unit itself plugged into the harness.

When I first installed it, there were like 5 lights that illuminated on the dash. I drove the car and the lights went off immediately.

Problems I am having:

The date and time will not store and the thing reboots every time the car goes to sleep (I know this is a common problem) and will try to find a constant fuse this weekend.

Need to make adjustments for better fitment. I will be making adjustments to how it sits in there to be more flush.

All in all, given the limited amount of use on basically half of the unit being installed, I'm happy and feeling like this can be an okay permanent option.

Attached is the instruction manual that came loaded on the head unit.

Interested in hearing your guys comments and questions as I stand to learn a lot from you guys in by way of your questions and my finding out through trial.
Hi, are you happy with the screen and sound quality ?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2015, 03:39 PM   #7
Lockman_321
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93

If the eonon unit actually sat flush i would be all over this for the fact it is android and you can connect a wifi dongle to it. So you could easily have spotify or google music installed on the actual device with no need for bluetooth.

But the fact it sticks out at the bottom has put me off it. So the only option is the dynavin.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #8
jonknick
Rep

Hey guys. The sound quality was actually a little clearer than my stock Professional Audio system, but was lacking in the bass. Since the underseat subs and door speakers are basically seen as equal, it still had the distortion problem. It also did not have a subwoofer adjustment if you were to ad one. Also, I really liked the screen, it kinda felt like the smart phone smooth screen.

Yes it was really annoying that it stuck out on the bottom. Also, mine didn't meet flush with the top either so there was a little 1/16" gap that really annoyed me too.

As an update, I did return the product as the software crashed somehow and would not reboot despite several reset button attempts.

I have since bought the Dynavin, and using the e90 post discount code, getting it for $699, I should have gone with that to begin with.

Bottom line, as much as I tried to disagree with the reviews and people on here, seeing hope in this product, it was a bad buy and I would recommend the Dynavin.

Any more questions I would love to help, but I won't have any new pics or anything.
Appreciate 0