E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > HELP: Got rear ended today. Should I file a claim?

09-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #1
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335xi

Garage List
HELP: Got rear ended today. Should I file a claim?

So I got rear ended at stop light today. It's 100% the other guy's fault.

The damage isn't bad but it's definitely noticeable.

My insurance company, Geico wouldn't help me unless I file a claim to them and pay $500 deductible.
I wasn't sure if the damage's worth the deductible.. so I didn't do it at this time.

So how much would it cost to repair this damage?
If I file a claim to the other party's insurance company, will my VIN be marked ACCIDENT on carfax?

I really don't wannna be see that red check mark on the carfax report.
Any advice is very welcomed. Thanks in advance.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:33 PM   #2
Underground6t9
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi, Lexus is250

$500 gets you mtech bumper
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 02:36 PM   #3
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Have the other person settle without insurance. Best bet.

Or chalk it up and get the red mark on your carfax.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeLow View Post
Have the other person settle without insurance. Best bet.

Or chalk it up and get the red mark on your carfax.
So if I file a claim then it will definitely leave a mark?
If that's true it sounds too much for me just for this little damage.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2015, 02:43 PM   #5
deeLow
DOPE
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
So if I file a claim then it will definitely leave a mark?
If that's true it sounds too much for me just for this little damage.
If the damage is over $500 I believe they have to leave the mark.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
Kolyan2k
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 S2000

You dont have to pay any deductibles if its not your fault. You can always file a claim with the other insurance company too

I would probably have the guy pay you some cash...$500 sounds decent, I wouldnt even fix such a small damage, just do touch up youself
Appreciate 2
      09-27-2015, 03:35 PM   #7
adidoman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 335i xDrive

If it's not your fault, the other insurance pays the deductible, you shouldn't have to. But like others have said, it will put the mark on your carfax and lower the value of your car.

Best bet is to have him give you money, his insurance won't go up then as well
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 04:08 PM   #8
The0pportunist
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Not sure how it works in the US but in the UK i would pay the excess to get the repairs started and then once fault has been admitted by third party, you will then claim the excess back from third party insurance company.

If i were you, go through insurance and keep pictures of the damage to show future buyers. I personally would feel better knowing the repairs were done properly rather than a poorly repaired car thats supposedly never been in an accident.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 05:51 PM   #9
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
its repairable. If you're going to claim the exhaust, you will be charged betterment.

i wouldnt claim it, but its up to you.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 05:55 PM   #10
Foxes
Private
Malaysia
Rep
Drives: 07' E92 335i

Be glad its just a few marrs on that bumper. I got wedged against a curb by this lady who took a turn too wide today. Thrashed all four of my BBS rims and screwed up some suspension components ontop of the damage to the passenger side door and rear qtr panel.
Appreciate 1
      09-27-2015, 05:58 PM   #11
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

Why not just settle it with the person who rear ended you? If that doesn't work then go through insurance. You won't pay anything unless you "upgrade" because it wasn't your fault.
      09-27-2015, 05:59 PM   #12
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolyan2k View Post
You dont have to pay any deductibles if its not your fault. You can always file a claim with the other insurance company too

I would probably have the guy pay you some cash...$500 sounds decent, I wouldnt even fix such a small damage, just do touch up youself
^this^ not at fault not your problem their insurance will pay the deduct. Pick your own shop its you right to choose.

Get a new bumper, exhaust whatever you feel needs to be made right

ps. dunno about the states but the carfax for canada does not show minor fender benders must be severe accident that brands the car title (frame,airbags ect)
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #13
Squark
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Like others said, you can always ask them to pay for the damage and not file with insurance for something that minor. I'm not sure if insurance claims show up on Carfax. I know police reports do.

If you file with the other company directly, they'll fix your damage and put you in a rental car while your car is in the shop. If you file through Geico, you'll pay your $500 deductible up front, but Geico will refund it when they get reimbursed from the other insurance company.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 10:20 AM   #14
ATLIEN
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 335i & 11 M3 ZCP

Just file with the other persons carrier. No need to pay anything like the others have advised.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #15
twinboost_MD
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i

id claim it and just collect the check.. and get the mtech
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 01:11 PM   #16
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Just like others have said. Don't even bother calling your own insurance company. Why do you want to tell them you were in a wreck (a little late for that I know). It may show up on Carfax whether you file or not. They also get accident reports from police departments. I would just call the other guy's insurance, file a claim, and if you don't want to fix it (or do it yourself), just take a check. If the guy offers to pay out of pocket, get a bodyshop estimate and have him pay that. Keep a photo of the damage to show potential buyers when you decide to sell. As a buyer I am only concerned with Carfax accident reports if I'm not sure of the severity. I wouldn't hesitate buying a car that had that damage.

If it were me I would pocket the check and get some touch up paint and be done with it.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 01:49 PM   #17
catcher22
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

This is kind of a tough one. Since the accident is not your fault, you shouldn't have to pay a dime (including your deductible). The other insurance company will pay your deductible (if you win). Except, remember that time=money.

To be honest, if I were you, I wouldn't deal with insurance and I would just touch it up myself. It's a bumper and you'll go nuts paying for a respray only for someone to parallel park or whatever and ding it up again a month later. This is literally just a scratch on your bumper. Almost all NY bumpers are in worse shape than yours. And you have NO control if it will ever hit carfax or not if you go through insurance. All it takes someone to key something into one of the databases that Carfax is connected to, and you're hosed.

Personally, my time spent dealing with insurance, getting a quote, dropping it off at a shop, etc. just isn't worth it. Some touch up paint and nobody will ever notice.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 04:01 PM   #18
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
OP- bring it to a body shop for an estimate. Tell the other party responsible for the damage how much the estimate is. Either let them pay you cash to repair your car or if not, file a claim with their insurance. If it's their fault, it's their deductible- you wouldn't pay a cent out of pocket.

One important side note: if you do go thru insurance, document the damage thoroughly with photos (similar to what you've already done). A mark on its record isn't too bad, so long as you have photo documentation proving that it wasn't a massive rear end.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #19
melloww22
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E90

Unless you are keeping this car for the life of it, settle outside of insurance company. Your deductible is high and you are looking at a ~800 dollar job. Not worth it, patching would be under ~500.
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 05:17 PM   #20
Supermoon
Lieutenant
South Korea
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by melloww22 View Post
Unless you are keeping this car for the life of it, settle outside of insurance company. Your deductible is high and you are looking at a ~800 dollar job. Not worth it, patching would be under ~500.
I ended up filing a claim to the other party's insurance company and the adjuster will be coming tomorrow morning.

Is it too late to settle outside now?

The insurance company already knows it happened so I'm not sure if settling outside would mean anything...
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #21
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
I ended up filing a claim to the other party's insurance company and the adjuster will be coming tomorrow morning.

Is it too late to settle outside now?

The insurance company already knows it happened so I'm not sure if settling outside would mean anything...
Going thru their insurance is the wise choice. Settling outside would have been more of a favor to the other party. The only real potential implication for you going this avenue will be that this accident will show up on the CarFax which could 'potentially' impact resale value. As mentioned in my previous post, this accident is such a non issue to any potential buyer; so photograph and document the damage and repairs and have them available for any potential future buyer. Then go get a burrito and a good nights sleep because it's not worth losing sleep over anymore
Appreciate 1
      09-28-2015, 10:51 PM   #22
kolhozbrothers
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squark View Post
Like others said, you can always ask them to pay for the damage and not file with insurance for something that minor. I'm not sure if insurance claims show up on Carfax. I know police reports do.

If you file with the other company directly, they'll fix your damage and put you in a rental car while your car is in the shop. If you file through Geico, you'll pay your $500 deductible up front, but Geico will refund it when they get reimbursed from the other insurance company.
Nope, insurance company reports don't show up, only if the vehicle was issued a salvage title.
Only police reports and other government agency issued reports will be reported to carfax/autocheck.
Appreciate 1