E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Starter/Ignition problem

09-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #1
MoserBMW
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Starter/Ignition problem

Okay, so I just saw the thread down a few posts about someones starter going, and I believe this is my problem as-well, but I want to be sure.

I just spoke to an indy on the phone, he quoted me for a $900 starter replacement, but urged me to make sure this was the problem so that I am not out of my money. He told me a story of a woman that insisted that it was her starter that was bad as well, he went ahead and did the job, ended up being a $95 job due to some ignition problem.

I pulled the code from Carly : Engine starter faulty operation 00A0B4.

I replaced the battery less than a year ago.
All the tell tale signs of a starter going bad. Key in ignition, all lights come on, press start button and does not crank at all, hear a little humming noise in the back.

I guess the end of my rant is; is there a way I can make sure it is the starter before I go and shell out $900 for an indy to replace it? Normally I would tackle this myself but I am away from my garage for the winter and don't have the necessary time or equipment to do this. Im sorry if this seems redundant to other threads, it's not really a "omg my car won't start whats wrong" but more of "99% sure its the starter, want some insight before I drop money"

Thanks in advance

Just realized I didn't say this earlier, but I have a 2008 328i ~115k miles if that is necessary.
      09-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #2
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

No start + the code + knowing it's a common problem would make me want to change the starter.

I have a 2008 328 and got the code too. Although my starter never completely died, it was dying a slow death (cranking got slower over time).
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:57 PM   #3
boostmiser
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

I think my starter just died today as well. Won't jump start, battery is charged. But no codes. It was sluggish over the past few months. Turner has a Bosch alternative so I might try that since it's much cheaper direct replacement. I'll do it myself, doesn't seem too involved, just have to find the time.
      09-26-2015, 11:15 AM   #4
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Even if your battery is just a year old, still have it tested to make sure. A year old battery can still fail prematurely and it costs you nothing to have it tested.

Though your code does point directly at the starter going. Have you had that battery cable recall work completed already?
      09-26-2015, 04:20 PM   #5
GoRomeo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i, 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [9.50]
2006 330i  [6.75]
Take a long stick and hit the starter from top of hood. Hit it while some else help u start car. If it does start after hitting it thats a starter issue. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 08:10 PM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoserBMW View Post
Okay, so I just saw the thread down a few posts about someones starter going, and I believe this is my problem as-well, but I want to be sure.

I just spoke to an indy on the phone, he quoted me for a $900 starter replacement, but urged me to make sure this was the problem so that I am not out of my money. He told me a story of a woman that insisted that it was her starter that was bad as well, he went ahead and did the job, ended up being a $95 job due to some ignition problem.

I pulled the code from Carly : Engine starter faulty operation 00A0B4.

I replaced the battery less than a year ago.
All the tell tale signs of a starter going bad. Key in ignition, all lights come on, press start button and does not crank at all, hear a little humming noise in the back.

I guess the end of my rant is; is there a way I can make sure it is the starter before I go and shell out $900 for an indy to replace it? Normally I would tackle this myself but I am away from my garage for the winter and don't have the necessary time or equipment to do this. Im sorry if this seems redundant to other threads, it's not really a "omg my car won't start whats wrong" but more of "99% sure its the starter, want some insight before I drop money"

Thanks in advance

Just realized I didn't say this earlier, but I have a 2008 328i ~115k miles if that is necessary.
PichaDis11 should be able to help you diy for a good tip!
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #7
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmiser View Post
I think my starter just died today as well. Won't jump start, battery is charged. But no codes. It was sluggish over the past few months. Turner has a Bosch alternative so I might try that since it's much cheaper direct replacement. I'll do it myself, doesn't seem too involved, just have to find the time.
Mine was sluggish but never died. I put in a Bosch and it works fine. First start and I knew my old one was dying. Starts fast and strong now. While mine did have codes, I wouldn't be surprised if you don't always get a code. But definitely test your battery first.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2015, 11:22 PM   #8
boostmiser
Private
Rep
Drives: '06 330i Sport

Not to hijack this thread, but I ended up replacing my starter today. Luckily it died in my driveway on a Friday night, so no tow needed, and parts dept open Sat.
Nappa had the Bosch in stock for $160. Went to the dealer for the 2 bolts ($11) and new intake gaskets ($35). Went to Sears for a set of e-torx sockets ($35).
I used the DIY on Pelican and it was pretty good but not perfect. This job kicked my ass and took all day. I started at 8 and the starter was out by noon. I took a lot of breaks. The problems encountered were ;
Plastic breather under the plenum. Pita to get undone. Even worse to get on.
Wire harness attached to plenum. It's supposed to slide off with two clips but it would not budge. I ended up unscrewing the two torx holding the metal bracket to the block. Much easier, but tight.
There are a lot of little wires attached to the plenum. Three in particular on a junction box...take a picture so you remember which goes where. Lots to remember.
I'm pretty mechanically inclined but this was a challenge in patience. But I'm pleased to say It's done and starts perfectly. And another bonus was there was absolutely no buildup on the valves...looked like new with 98K miles.
Good luck to anyone that tries this themselves.

Last edited by boostmiser; 09-27-2015 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 1