E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > First post: E92 opinions/advice wanted.

09-24-2015, 03:30 AM   #1
q2quest
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VW Golf TDI

First post: E92 opinions/advice wanted.

Hello everyone! I've been driving VWs and Audis for the last 15 years, but I just can't stop admiring the E92 BMW and have decided a nice used one will be my next daily driver. I've been doing a lot of reading here and would like some opinions on a few things. Between 2007 and 2011 is there any one year better than another in terms of automatic transmission or electronics (radio, bluetooth) offerings or are the cars pretty similar? I've heard mixed reviews about the factory navigation unit, that the extra hump on the dash is an eye sore. I don't mind it, but is it better to stay with the factory Nav screen or would you recommend getting a car without the factory nav and swapping in a nice touch screen from Dynavin or something like that? Also, how good is the factory sound system? Do most people go with aftermarket speakers or leave the factory ones in place. Any and all suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 03:58 AM   #2
maddmatth
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: F82 M4, E92 335i

The Hifi system (middle of the 3 options) is pretty good. Subwoofers are under the seats, it does good bass yet nice clear sound at the same time.
I don't feel any need to upgrade and think it would satisfy most people.
Base sound system may be different story, don't think it gets sub-woofers so I imagine it's pretty average.

I have the CIC iDrive (the later E92 generation of the system, CCC is the earlier). It's decent, sometimes nicer to see inbuilt nav rather than pull out the phone. It has a nice interface for seeing service info like how much life is in your front and rear breaks, tyre pressure status.
Nice to have I think but wouldn't miss it terribly.

LCI (2010, maybe 2011 year for US) has a few changes in the body style and other little tweaks. If you're after a 335i though it means a completely different engine and that's a whole different discussion (google N54 vs N55 if you want to get into that, newer is better unless you're into heavy performance modifications).

Other good options would be
* Comfort access, car detects the key in your pocket so you never have to pull out out. And the doors unlock when you touch handles, engine starts just by pushing the button.
* Adaptive xenon headlights - turns on automatically, lights turn with the steering wheel
* Electric adjustable sports seats, snug and super adjustable. Adjustable side bolsters are awesome
* Think about if you'd want MSport or not, including sport suspension. If you like your cars sporty and aggressive, you'll want it. If it's the luxury aspect you're after, then maybe it won't be to your tastes.

Bluetooth isn't standard in the cars, it was an expensive option. And the early ones only did calls, not music.
Most have aux though, so a cheap option is a Bluetooth - aux adapter. Himbox is an excellent one, I use it.

The cars come with runflat tyres as standard, which are harsher than normal tyres. Some people switch them to normal tyres for better ride.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 04:09 AM   #3
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

2009 was the year for me, it meant

(1 I could still get the pre LCI (facelift) look, which I'd prefer before the change in early 2010.
2) I'd get a N54 which as far as I know is still the best engine if you want to tune it. 335i Changed to N55 in early 2010
(3 I'll say alleged but most people I talked to said there were more problems with 2006-2008 cars.
4) I'd get the new I Drive CIC I'm not a gadget fan, but is better than the earlier I drive and I'm not aware of why an aftermarket Nav would be that much better. And I Drive, it's a useful system for keeping check on what needs doing like break pads and so on. Plus you get the graphic for parking sensors.
I have no interest in music, but the first owner did and selected the BMW Individual Audio system, which does sound like the band is in the car with you so I guess the basic audio falls short.
(4 I got DCT, which I find much better than ordinary step. auto.

**I believe as you are in the US, you would need to get a 335is to have DCT option. But with 335is you get N54, higher state of tune and some nice design touches. I'd have one
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 05:10 AM   #4
willzim
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F30 340ix m-sport

Just to chime in about the CIC/CCC and their ability to display brake pad life, and other diagnostic info:

All of our cars will display that information with or without a Nav unit, it puts it on the amber LCD screen. I preferred no NAV so I got every single other option and kept my dash looking clean (in my opinion)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:08 AM   #5
smuler
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by willzim View Post
Just to chime in about the CIC/CCC and their ability to display brake pad life, and other diagnostic info:

All of our cars will display that information with or without a Nav unit, it puts it on the amber LCD screen. I preferred no NAV so I got every single other option and kept my dash looking clean (in my opinion)
To be honest, if I'd bought the car new, I would not have paid for Nav. But one thing has puzzled me. If you don't have the I drive screen (for the little car graphic) but you do have front AND rear parking sensors how do you differentiate between the different sensor beeps when, say, parallel parking in a real tight spot??
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:13 AM   #6
Mr. Toad
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by q2quest View Post
Between 2007 and 2011 is there any one year better than another in terms of automatic transmission or electronics (radio, bluetooth) offerings or are the cars pretty similar?
I have a 2011 coupe and I believe this was the LCI debut year. The features you get are not as much tied to the model/year as they are to the option package(s) the specific car has.

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews about the factory navigation unit, that the extra hump on the dash is an eye sore.
I have the factory nav and am very pleased with the look of the setup. I do not care for the new ones that use a somewhat freestanding screen stuck in the middle of the dash. To me, it looks like they forget to design the dash layout with a place for the nav, so they slapped a small tablet on there as an afterthought.

Quote:
Also, how good is the factory sound system?
I have the Harmon Kardon Surround Sound system, which I really like. I had the Hi-Fi system in my previous car and did not like it at all (I found the sound to be very flat and muddy, sad for a car of this caliber). The HK system is clearer and fuller, and includes additional speakers, an EQ, and other nice features. When shopping for my current car, the HK system was one feature that I refused to compromise on.
      09-24-2015, 12:05 PM   #7
willzim
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by smuler View Post
To be honest, if I'd bought the car new, I would not have paid for Nav. But one thing has puzzled me. If you don't have the I drive screen (for the little car graphic) but you do have front AND rear parking sensors how do you differentiate between the different sensor beeps when, say, parallel parking in a real tight spot??
I don't have the sensors in my 07 (don't think they were available) but wouldn't sound localization help? You could probably easily tell which is the front and which is the rear sensor by where the sound is coming from. At least that is the impression I got when I test drove an 09 (or 2010, I forget) E92 that had it without Nav
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 01:29 PM   #8
q2quest
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 VW Golf TDI

Thanks for all the thoughtful replies! I really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:40 PM   #9
ThugzZ BunnY
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

smuler the beep will come out of the speaker thats closest to the object.

Inquiries: Andrew.Wise@bmwofchattanooga.com
Appreciate 2
      09-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #10
willzim
First Lieutenant
Rep

On the topic of stock sound system: My car has the highest end one that you could get (subwoofers under the seats, fiber optic connections, center speaker, 13 or so speakers) and I am very happy with it even coming from a background of always installing my own audio systems. It wont blow you away, but it does the job admirably.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 02:07 AM   #11
thkfast
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 M4 Sakhir Orange DCT

Correct me if I'm wrong, but 2010 was the last year for the N54 (twin turbo) engine in the US...after that the X35i cars came with the N55 engine, except for the 335is of course.

I had two 335's without factory navigation and my current 335is has factory nav and I didn't realize what I was missing. Besides having the directions broadcast over the cars speakers, you get way more visual user-friendly information displayed like your phone directory, radio station presets and you can listen to DVD movies.

Regarding the audio system, the Harman-Kardon system is the best.

2015 F82 M4 - Sakhir Orange Metallic
2013 E92 M3 / 2013 E92 335is / 2010 E90 335i / 2007 E90 335i
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 04:02 AM   #12
PureE92
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92

If you have to choose any 1 package just make sure you get the sport package for sure.
Appreciate 1