E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > JB4 Question

09-24-2015, 12:11 AM   #1
BryanDJHP
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

JB4 Question

Is it alright if I install it my self and tune it my self or go to a shop to tune it right. Obviously the shop will do it 100x better but is it possible to do it your self and make it good? Opinions?

Just did walnut blast on my 2008 BMW 335xi with 84k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 06:45 AM   #2
Boland01
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535ix, 2008, 2007 335i

The JB4 is plug and play. Follow the instructions to properly connect it and then you "program" it through the steering wheel controls. I'm running Map 5, have the blinkers flash at 160F oil temp and use the gauge sweep option on start up.

Go to the BMS site or You Tube. You'll see how simple a DYI it is. By programming I mean is all you do is select the options you want to utilize via the steering wheel controls. So don't let that word intimidate you. You'll be fine and will love it!
Appreciate 1
      09-24-2015, 07:36 AM   #3
BryanDJHP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks +1
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:07 AM   #4
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
You really don't understand this at all. You need to research more.

FYI with your terrible wastegate rattle, your turbos will need to be replaced soon after tuning so put about $4k aside for that.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:40 AM   #5
MachWon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i 6mt. JB4 + CDP's.

Not necessarily true, my turbos have 118K on them, rattle like hell with all rattle fixes off, but still make good boost.

@BryanDJHP, thoroughly read through this thread: http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10605

Then if you have more questions post them here.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:07 AM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanDJHP View Post
Is it alright if I install it my self and tune it my self or go to a shop to tune it right. Obviously the shop will do it 100x better but is it possible to do it your self and make it good? Opinions?

Just did walnut blast on my 2008 BMW 335xi with 84k miles on it.
You can install it yourself, but you need to review BOTH the online video of the installation from the BMS site AND the PDF installation notes on how to do the install. EVEN THEN, you will still be scratching your head a couple points trying to figure out what they mean until you get that "AH HAAAA" moment when you figure it out because you just used your common sense.

While I could install or uninstall the JB4 probably in about 30 mins carefully today. When I first did the JB4 and DCI install, it took me a good 4 hours. So budget an entire day, take your time, do things in a very careful and cautious way and you should be fine The second time it will be a piece of cake!

No tuning is involved, all you need to do is choose between:
Map 0 - Stock map/by-pass the JB4
Map 1 - The first level increase in performance
Map 2 - Don't choose this yet till you get more mods
Map 5 - Auto tune - Choose this and you will never have to think about tuning the car, this is my preferred map because it just works for any mod level.

But seriously, go to the product manufacturers site and read up on it and ask them in their own forums section how things work and go thru the FAQ's. You would be surprised at what you will learn in depth if you invest the time to learn. If you don't have patience for that... just spend a grip of cash and tell a shop "just make it work and give me the cliff notes"
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #7
BryanDJHP
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you guys and my turbos are good! No need to replace them because I fixed my wastegate rattle noise. I can't hear it anymore!
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #8
jgoens
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
You can install it yourself, but you need to review BOTH the online video of the installation from the BMS site AND the PDF installation notes on how to do the install. EVEN THEN, you will still be scratching your head a couple points trying to figure out what they mean until you get that "AH HAAAA" moment when you figure it out because you just used your common sense.

While I could install or uninstall the JB4 probably in about 30 mins carefully today. When I first did the JB4 and DCI install, it took me a good 4 hours. So budget an entire day, take your time, do things in a very careful and cautious way and you should be fine The second time it will be a piece of cake!

No tuning is involved, all you need to do is choose between:
Map 0 - Stock map/by-pass the JB4
Map 1 - The first level increase in performance
Map 2 - Don't choose this yet till you get more mods
Map 5 - Auto tune - Choose this and you will never have to think about tuning the car, this is my preferred map because it just works for any mod level.

But seriously, go to the product manufacturers site and read up on it and ask them in their own forums section how things work and go thru the FAQ's. You would be surprised at what you will learn in depth if you invest the time to learn. If you don't have patience for that... just spend a grip of cash and tell a shop "just make it work and give me the cliff notes"
Four hours? What? How many beers were you drinking? when I did mine I had some questions and had to go back and forth with jon@bms so it took me just over an hour for the jb4 install...and then after a great drive I had some beers for the next three hours..to celebrate..so yeah it is a four hour job.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:33 AM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
Four hours? What? How many beers were you drinking? when I did mine I had some questions and had to go back and forth with jon@bms so it took me just over an hour for the jb4 install...and then after a great drive I had some beers for the next three hours..to celebrate..so yeah it is a four hour job.
I did this all on my own, with no help and no one to ask for help. It was me vs the machine and I WON!

I also did the DCI install too, but if you ever come across anyone i have helped with car work... you will know that I'm highly detailed.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 01:37 PM   #10
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I did this all on my own, with no help and no one to ask for help. It was me vs the machine and I WON!

I also did the DCI install too, but if you ever come across anyone i have helped with car work... you will know that I'm highly detailed.
I know you know your stuff--from past posts. The main issue I came across was finding the CAN wires--which in the instructions I had at the time were not detailed very well. I think they have updated the instructions showing they are under the felt tape.
      09-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #11
NotQuickEnough
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330ci & 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanDJHP View Post
Thank you guys and my turbos are good! No need to replace them because I fixed my wastegate rattle noise. I can't hear it anymore!
How??
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoens View Post
I know you know your stuff--from past posts. The main issue I came across was finding the CAN wires--which in the instructions I had at the time were not detailed very well. I think they have updated the instructions showing they are under the felt tape.
Oh your doing the N55 JB4 install... I had a hard time with getting those 4 connectors off the car... MAN was that a PITA. I think it was easier to do the n54 JB4 than it is for the N55 JB4.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 02:50 PM   #13
jgoens
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Oh your doing the N55 JB4 install... I had a hard time with getting those 4 connectors off the car... MAN was that a PITA. I think it was easier to do the n54 JB4 than it is for the N55 JB4.
You mean the sensors? Some come off easy and others need a trick. The biggest difference and most pain in the ass I found compared to n54 is you have to take off the rear engine cover to get to the rear sensor and ff connector. I've taken it off now more than 6 times and it sucks every time--at least I don't cut my fingers like the first couple times. Another guy who has an N54 said you don't have to do that with his car.