E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Help - Start up and hazard button flashing

09-23-2015, 09:58 PM   #1
evill1
USMC
Rep
Drives: 2011 328xi

Help - Start up and hazard button flashing

Looking for some guidance. Wife went to start the 2011 328xi after work and the lights just went crazy and would start. I showed up to give it a jump and all the accessories come on but when I hit the start button it kills everything. Take the key out pulled the cables off and the start circle, hazard light button and a clicking sound from the glove box started. Nonstop very quickly and no power at all.

Reading 7V at the jumper point in the engine bay. Where should I go next?
Battery, starter... JBE?

Thanks

Eric V
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:16 PM   #2
pomerlo
Rep
Drives: 2003 BMW Z4 3.0 M54

Are you saying that it cannot be started while you jumped start-it ?

Unless there is a current drain somewhere, clearly, the no 1 suspect is the battery. It is almost impossible to start an engine with only 7v.

Keep in mind that if you replace the battery, it should be registered in the onboard computer.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:18 PM   #3
dbond
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: bmw

your jumper cables are either weak or you did not give it enough time to partially charge completely drained battery. Regardless, the battery is a toast reading 7V. You need to get a new one first.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2015, 10:42 PM   #4
evill1
USMC
Rep

It was on there for a good while. I went through the fuse box checking all the start/stop related fuses. Damn hard to reach, at least they provided a crappy puller in there.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 09:46 AM   #5
patents
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

If your battery only reads 7V, don't waste your time on anything else. Get a new battery and have it registered.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #6
avocet
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i 2011 X5d

Check your voltage AT the battery before you buy a new one. Just to make sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:31 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by evill1 View Post
Looking for some guidance. Wife went to start the 2011 328xi after work and the lights just went crazy and would start. I showed up to give it a jump and all the accessories come on but when I hit the start button it kills everything. Take the key out pulled the cables off and the start circle, hazard light button and a clicking sound from the glove box started. Nonstop very quickly and no power at all.

Reading 7V at the jumper point in the engine bay. Where should I go next?
Battery, starter... JBE?

Thanks

Eric V
Do a google search on how to get into the hidden menu on the Kombi for the e90's you will need the last 5 numbers of your VIN to add up for your "unlock code" Then Menu 09.00 has your battery voltage.

You can get a new replacement battery from Advanced Auto Parts, all you need to know is if the OEM battery is a WHITE (this is a non-AGM) or BLACK (this is an AGM) color shell, also what is the Reserve Capacity (RC) number... that needs to match your new battery as close as you can get it.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:40 AM   #8
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Do a google search on how to get into the hidden menu on the Kombi for the e90's you will need the last 5 numbers of your VIN to add up for your "unlock code" Then Menu 09.00 has your battery voltage.

You can get a new replacement battery from Advanced Auto Parts, all you need to know is if the OEM battery is a WHITE (this is a non-AGM) or BLACK (this is an AGM) color shell, also what is the Reserve Capacity (RC) number... that needs to match your new battery as close as you can get it.
...or you will need to have car coded with battery type and electrical capacity characteristics (not merely 'registering' installation of a new battery)
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2015, 11:57 AM   #9
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
...or you will need to have car coded with battery type and electrical capacity characteristics (not merely 'registering' installation of a new battery)
Jason Honestly, this question is asked so many times and I've answered it so many times in detail. How can I make a sticky on the topic?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 08:16 AM   #10
evill1
USMC
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post

Fazman I had a white OEM battery and the one from autozone was a black one. Did I just go non-AGM to AGM?

Taking it to get registered Saturday am.

Dammit just read the site autozone battery is AGM and I pulled out a white one. I've read people go from AGM to non-AGM and just code/register is the process still the same this way?

Last edited by evill1; 09-25-2015 at 08:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by evill1 View Post
Fazman I had a white OEM battery and the one from autozone was a black one. Did I just go non-AGM to AGM?

Taking it to get registered Saturday am.

Dammit just read the site autozone battery is AGM and I pulled out a white one. I've read people go from AGM to non-AGM and just code/register is the process still the same this way?
The color only is for BMW batteries from the dealerships. Once you go aftermarket... color doesn't mean anything (you will need to check the specs of the battery you bought). I'll help you get to the bottom of this

Can you send me a linky to the battery you got from AZ and also what was your stock battery specs?
Appreciate 0