E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Dash cam power source

09-16-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Curval
Rep
Drives: 2018 G31 520d

Dash cam power source

I have got an SJ4000 which I'm intending to use as a dash cam. It has a micro USB power input and I am going to mount it near the rear view mirror, but I'm wondering how to power it.

I understand that there is a fuse box in the glove compartment, but I'm not familiar with how I'd make use of this - I know you can get fuse taps, but there are quite a few things I don't know:

- If there are multiple types of fuse tap, or what type I'd need
- Which fuse I'd connect it to (I only care about it being on whilst driving)
- How I'd convert this to the micro USB connector the camera requires

Is anyone able to offer any advice please? My car is a 2011 E91 330d, right hand drive. I have got the professional media package or whatever it is called, that lets me connect flash drives to the USB port in the glove compartment, but not in the centre arm rest.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curval View Post
I have got an SJ4000 which I'm intending to use as a dash cam. It has a micro USB power input and I am going to mount it near the rear view mirror, but I'm wondering how to power it.

I understand that there is a fuse box in the glove compartment, but I'm not familiar with how I'd make use of this - I know you can get fuse taps, but there are quite a few things I don't know:

- If there are multiple types of fuse tap, or what type I'd need
- Which fuse I'd connect it to (I only care about it being on whilst driving)
- How I'd convert this to the micro USB connector the camera requires

Is anyone able to offer any advice please? My car is a 2011 E91 330d, right hand drive. I have got the professional media package or whatever it is called, that lets me connect flash drives to the USB port in the glove compartment, but not in the centre arm rest.
Its not that hard if you know what fuse you want to tap into. I have a A118 Dash cam in my car mounted next the rear-view mirror.

Basically I got a 12v female adapter like this (12V Female adapter) and attached a "mini" fuse tap at the end. Remember that the regular sized fuse taps dont work. You have to buy the "Mini" type.

As for fuse to tap into, it depends on how you want to use your camera. If you want it always ON (assuming some kind of motion sensing is built into your cam so that it does not stay ON and drain your battery), find a constant 12V fuse. I have mine setup to record only when the ignition is ON as my car is garaged at home and office. So I tapped into the garage remote fuse.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #3
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

Also, I forgot to mention that all of this tucked in behind the glove box. So nothing is visible. This is one of the cheapest best upgrade I have done in my car given its helped me prove my wife wrong twice
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #4
e90bmw328i
Lieutenant
Rep

I just looked up ur cam model on amazon and it looks like they dont supply a cigarette lighter connector. You may have to buy a 10ft or longer cable from amazon with micro USB and use that. My dash cam came with a pretty long cable.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2018, 04:16 AM   #5
Supermonkeyballs
Rep
Drives: E90 - M57 - 330d Saloon

Guys I wired a dash cam into my E90 via fuses...

For more information please see my link...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ash+cam+wiring
Appreciate 0