E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW's Warranty Practices Poll

View Poll Results: Is this warranty practice fair to the consumer?
Yes it makes perfect sense what BMW is doing. 6 18.18%
No the warranty should be on the part regardless of who paid. 27 81.82%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

09-15-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13' F30 328i 6MT

Garage List
BMW's Warranty Practices Poll

Hey Guys,

I just went through hell at a local dealership, Even my service adviser is on board but cannot do anything due to it being BMW's rule. I want to see what you guys feel on the issue.

I have experienced this issue myself personally in the last two years and it seems like complete bull$hit on BMW's part.

Failed Parts -
  • Valvecover Gasket
  • Drip Rails ( around window )

Example of issues I have faced :

Valvecover gasket starts leaking under warranty, They replace it and state it has a 2 year warranty on the part. Warranty expires on my car in 2 months after the parts installed.
Fast fwd to 1 year and its leaking again ( Mind you they want close to $800 to do this ).

I goto the dealer and say " Hey, My valvecover is leaking again " They look at my history and state well the warranty period is for 2 years from when you purchased the part. I inform them the part was installed less than a year ago at your dealer. They agree and state well it was done on BMW's dime so technically you never purchased the part. Your warranty is expired and the part is not covered.

They say the warranty is 2 years only on purchased parts you pay for but if its a warranty claim its not covered.

This happened on my drip rails as well where the glue has broken down around the rear window and the pieces are loose.

To me it seems like this is a crapshoot and only benefits them, If they made a quality part it would last longer. If this happens often and its going to cost them a ton then redesign / fix the part.
By doing this it just gets them out of paying for the repair and or designing a better part, The warranty should be on the part not who paid for the part.

Share your thoughts,

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 09-15-2015 at 10:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
Delta0311
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92 2016 228xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QUiKSR20 View Post
Hey Guys,

I just went through hell at a local dealership, Even my service advisor is on board but cannot do anything due to it being BMW's rule. I want to see what you guys feel on the issue.

I have experienced this issue myself personally in the last two years and it seems like complete bull$hit on BMW's part.

Failed Parts -
  • Valvecover Gasket

Valvecover gasket starts leaking under warranty, They replace it and state it has a 2 year warranty on the part. Warranty expires on my car in 2 months after the parts installed. Fast fwd to 1 year and its leaking again.

I goto the dealer and say " Hey, My valvecover is leaking again " They look at my history and state well the warranty period is for 2 years from when you purchased the part. I inform them the part was installed less than a year ago at your dealer. They agree and state well it was done on BMW's dime so technically you never purchased the part. Your warranty is expired and the part is not covered.

They say the warranty is 2 years only on purchased parts you pay for but if its a warranty claim its not covered.

This happened on my drip rails as well where the glue has broken down around the rear window and the pieces are loose.

To me it seems like this is a crapshoot and only benefits them, If they made a quality part it would last longer. If this happens often and its going to cost them a ton then redesign / fix the part. By doing this it just gets them out of paying for the repair and or designing a better part.

Share your thoughts :

What kind of BS is that? Warranty is ON the part regardless of who purchased it. I would also ask how is it possible that the new valve cover gasket failed after only 1 year? That is some shitty install work right there.. I'm almost positive they did not torque the screws correctly.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
What kind of BS is that? Warranty is ON the part regardless of who purchased it. I would also ask how is it possible that the new valve cover gasket failed after only 1 year? That is some shitty install work right there.. I'm almost positive they did not torque the screws correctly.
EXACTLY MY POINT!!!! I asked the guy, So this part is only suppose to last a year? His answer was I hear ya man but I dont make the rules.

They told me if I paid the dealer for the part & labor it would have 2 year warranty but since it was warranty installed it could fail a month later and if its past the warranty its on me to pay.

Just makes no sense at all, If its a faulty part or faulty install it should be covered regardless of who paid for it.

They pulled this crap with both my Valvecover Gasket and drip rails around the windows, And both were installed by the dealership not by me or another shop.

Both NOT COVERED since I didnt pay for them out of my pocket and both failed under 2 years while being installed at the dealership by their mechanics.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:48 AM   #4
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
EXACTLY MY POINT!!!! I asked the guy, So this part is only suppose to last a year? His answer was I hear ya man but I dont make the rules.

They told me if I paid the dealer for the part & labor it would have 2 year warranty but since it was warranty installed it could fail a month later and if its past the warranty its on me to pay.

Just makes no sense at all, If its a faulty part or faulty install it should be covered regardless of who paid for it.

They pulled this crap with both my Valvecover Gasket and drip rails around the windows, And both were installed by the dealership not by me or another shop.

Both NOT COVERED since I didnt pay for them out of my pocket and both failed under 2 years while being installed at the dealership by their mechanics.
Call BMW NA.. Let them know what's going on. These guys are definitely being shady.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Call BMW NA.. Let them know what's going on. These guys are definitely being shady.
I am trying to see if this is the real rules, And if it is then there is nothing I can do about it. But if its truly warranty on the part and not who pays then I would be a little upset since they are pretty much turning me away unless I pony up the cash.

They just installed my windshield last month for $1500, Insurance reimbursed me most but they dont know that so its not like I dont take my car in for certain things.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I am trying to see if this is the real rules, And if it is then there is nothing I can do about it. But if its truly warranty on the part and not who pays then I would be a little upset since they are pretty much turning me away unless I pony up the cash.

They just installed my windshield last month for $1500, Insurance reimbursed me most but they dont know that so its not like I dont take my car in for certain things.

Call BMW NA regardless. The part should NOT fail after only 1 year unless maybe you drove the car like 80k miles. They should at least fix the VCG due to faulty install. I'm almost positive they didn't bolt it down right.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #7
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Double check BMW policies and procedures first as there should be a specific policy regarding this very scenario. This is not a specific Dealer decision as they must follow the OEM policies and will be reimbursed according to that policy. I know with GM (may have changed recently) almost all parts have a 12/12 warranty installed at the dealership and 12 months installed anywhere else.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:03 AM   #8
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Double check BMW policies and procedures first as there should be a specific policy regarding this very scenario. This is not a specific Dealer decision as they must follow the OEM policies and will be reimbursed according to that policy. I know with GM (may have changed recently) almost all parts have a 12/12 warranty installed at the dealership and 12 months installed anywhere else.
I will try and find out, My advisor is usually great so I dont feel he would purposely try to screw me but this just sounds ridiculous that it matters who paid for the part. Its their part installed by their mechanics failing.

If true it just seems they have 0 confidence in the reliability of either their product or their employees installing the parts.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:14 AM   #9
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hey guys if your going to vote in BMW's favor please share " Why " so atleast we know your thinking behind the choice.

If its done to protect themselves from too many warranty repairs ( IMPROVE THE PART ), Dont just engineer a way to
get you off the hook with " Doing the right thing ".
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #10
timothy2001
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 6MT ZCP

Garage List
2011 M3 E92  [0.00]
Yeah, just doesn't make sense. Part installed in March, warranty expires in April, part or labor fails in May and no coverage? The policy should be on the receipt you got for the work, there may be an expert on here who can weigh in though.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #11
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by timothy2001 View Post
Yeah, just doesn't make sense. Part installed in March, warranty expires in April, part or labor fails in May and no coverage? The policy should be on the receipt you got for the work, there may be an expert on here who can weigh in though.
Yeah thats what im looking for if in fact this is the rule explain the reasoning behind it? Also just confirmed with BMW NA its correct!

To me it means one of the following or all :

1 - Faulty Design
2 - Poor Part
3 - Poor installation

But by no means should we have to cover this cost if the part and installation was done so recent.

The car less than 71k miles I shouldnt be going into valve cover gasket #3, While I was at the dealer I heard the advisor on the phone about another valve cover gasket.
I have to assume this is a money maker for them and something they see often... If it happens this often redesign the damn part or do what it takes so this doesnt happen.

Ive never seen a car in all my many projects and stock cars chew threw valve cover gaskets like this..

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 09-15-2015 at 12:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:18 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Hey Guys,

I just went through hell at a local dealership, Even my service adviser is on board but cannot do anything due to it being BMW's rule. I want to see what you guys feel on the issue.

Failed Parts -
  • Valvecover Gasket

Valvecover gasket starts leaking under warranty, They replace it and state it has a 2 year warranty on the part. Warranty expires on my car in 2 months after the parts installed.
Fast fwd to 1 year and its leaking again ( Mind you they want close to $800 to do this ).

To me it seems like this is a crapshoot and only benefits them, If they made a quality part it would last longer. If this happens often and its going to cost them a ton then redesign / fix the part.
By doing this it just gets them out of paying for the repair and or designing a better part, The warranty should be on the part not who paid for the part.

Share your thoughts,
You don't need all that. Go to an attorney and have him draft up a letter on the attorney's letter head and send it to BMW NA and the dealership. They will know you are serious and they know that in a court of law you are the little guy and the court will side with you. Its far cheaper to just cover it than it is to go to court for BMW since they are paying the dealership a fraction of the true cost of the repair.

Also if the warranty is to who paid for the part... then you need to sue BMW NA who paid for the part in court for forcing you to use only sub par BMW service center incompetent tech's and not allowing you to use real Indy techs who know what they are doing (Rather than BMW techs who are learning on your car). Also BMW NA, is failing to stand behind their warranty work when it is no cost to them (it's warrantied).

If all else fails... talk to PichaDis11 FTW!

Last edited by fazman; 09-15-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 12:39 PM   #13
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
You don't need all that. Go to an attorney and have him draft up a letter on the attorney's letter head and send it to BMW NA and the dealership. They will know you are serious and they know that in a court of law you are the little guy and the court will side with you. Its far cheaper to just cover it than it is to go to court for BMW since they are paying the dealership a fraction of the true cost of the repair.

Also if the warranty is to who paid for the part... then you need to sue BMW NA who paid for the part in court for forcing you to use only sub par BMW service center incompetent tech's and not allowing you to use real Indy techs who know what they are doing (Rather than BMW techs who are learning on your car). Also BMW NA, is failing to stand behind their warranty work when it is no cost to them (it's warrantied).

If all else fails... talk to PichaDis11 FTW!
Yeah they told me pretty much GFY these are the rules and its just not right.. They could just do the right thing for not much out of their pocket and turn this whole thing around..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:07 PM   #14
335commuter
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

To play the Devils advocate, if your new car warranty paid for the part, there was minimal harm to you. If your turbos fail under the new car warranty and then again 1.5 years later under the parts warranty, why should you get an extra 1.5 years of warranty for no cost?

That said, the big problem for me is that it should never fail that fast. I would be arguing the dealer screwed up, not that BMW should pay.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:16 PM   #15
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335commuter View Post
To play the Devils advocate, if your new car warranty paid for the part, there was minimal harm to you. If your turbos fail under the new car warranty and then again 1.5 years later under the parts warranty, why should you get an extra 1.5 years of warranty for no cost?

That said, the big problem for me is that it should never fail that fast. I would be arguing the dealer screwed up, not that BMW should pay.
I agree 100% with you! They did a mandatory valvetrain recall on the N52 then 5 months later said my valvecover was leaking ( 5k miles )! I said you guys were just in there.. This is when they replaced it the first time.. Lasted 5k miles now the 2nd time its gone 10k miles max and they prob did the same crappy job.. But now out of warranty so not their problem. It should last longer than 1-1.5 years and 10k miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:17 PM   #16
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I agree 100% with you! They did a mandatory valvetrain recall on the N52 then 5 months later said my valvecover was leaking ( 5k miles )! I said you guys were just in there.. This is when they replaced it the first time.. Lasted 5k miles now the 2nd time its gone 10k miles max and they prob did the same crappy job.. But now out of warranty so not their problem. It should last longer than 1-1.5 years and 10k miles.
Absolutely you have a solid case there.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:21 PM   #17
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Absolutely you have a solid case there.
And just for the record I never went in with a bad attitude or anything like that just blows my mind how this is done.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:22 PM   #18
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
And just for the record I never went in with a bad attitude or anything like that just blows my mind how this is done.
Tinton Falls? I take it you go to Circle?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:23 PM   #19
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Tinton Falls? I take it you go to Circle?
Yes and correct! I usually work with Tim who is great, Unfortunately its not his rule.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:32 PM   #20
tkong
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2011 space gray

I had a part that was replaced under the original warranty fail after only 3 months. By the time it failed, I was out of my original warranty and was told the same thing you're being told about your valve cover.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:34 PM   #21
Delta0311
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Yes and correct! I usually work with Tim who is great, Unfortunately its not his rule.
I normally go to Open Road in Edison. Bill is my SA and he's gone above and beyond many times. People I know who go to Circle had favorable opinions of them.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2015, 01:38 PM   #22
QUiKSR20
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkong View Post
I had a part that was replaced under the original warranty fail after only 3 months. By the time it failed, I was out of my original warranty and was told the same thing you're being told about your valve cover.
Unbelievable isnt it? It should be 2 years warranty on the parts no matter who pays for it, Its the same part unless in fact there is no confidence in the part or the techs installing it..

Wouldn't it make sense to :

1 - Improve the part and stop the problem for a long time, Not 10k miles or 1-2 years
2 - Better train the techs if it was an installation issue

Instead of just warrantying it to death and then telling you GFY when your out of warranty, Just do the right thing.

Last edited by QUiKSR20; 09-15-2015 at 01:47 PM..
Appreciate 0